Music discovery has always been at the heart of the Pandora experience and today we’re thrilled to announce the launch of personalized station recommendations on both iOS and Android mobile devices.

Pandora had 76.2 million people listening to 1.58 billion hours of music just last month alone. When you layer on the more than 35 billion pieces of thumb feedback we have received since launching in 2005, it equates to billions of data points right at our fingertips. These valuable insights into our listeners’ tastes provide us with a deep understanding of what people love about music and enables us to power the best personalized radio experience for each individual listener.

Up until now, we have primarily been focused on making behind-the-scenes improvements to the playlist experience and we’re excited about the opportunity to apply our same methodology to this brand new Pandora feature.

Here’s how it works:

Personalized station recommendations on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets will provide listeners with up to 6 suggested artist stations to add and listen to at a time, based on current listening preferences, taking into account your station list and what you have told us you like or dislike through thumb interactions.  Station recommendations can be found in a couple of areas in the Pandora app:

• Create a Station screen: when you tap to create a station, your recommendations will be listed on the screen.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.
  • Bottom of Station List: If you scroll down your station list, you will see recommendations at the bottom.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.

Your station recommendation list is refreshed when a new station is created or deleted. We will be rolling out this new feature with personalized artist station recommendations and have future plans to evolve and refine the recommendations feature already under development. The more you engage with the product, the more Pandora will learn about your musical preferences and tastes and be able to further optimize the station recommendations for the best personalized listening experience.

Create Station View (2)More Recs View

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of this new product feature. We’ve said this before, but we’re really just getting started. As we work to fulfill our mission to completely reinvent radio, we are constantly thinking of new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment. So stay tuned for even more product enhancements and updates on all of our platforms throughout 2014.

Happy discovering!

Comments

1. Scott
    July 07, 2015 at 4:50am
    I would like to start a station based on a track feature. For example, slide guitars. How can this be accomplished?
    1. PandoraSupport
      July 08, 2015 at 1:31pm
      Hi Scott! We don't currently have a way to create a station based on an instrument or track feature, but we'll let our product team know you'd like to see that happen. -Kim
  2. Cameron cross
    July 07, 2015 at 4:47pm
    I cant believe there is no live music filter option yet. In fact i stopped using pandora entirely for over a year because i got so tired of live music getting more and more prevelant even after i thumbs down the song. Now i turn it back on and the first 3 songs in a row are live.
  3. JimmyTheGeek
    August 28, 2015 at 4:29pm
    I think it would be cool if I could select two or more stations and put them into shuffle mode. I could take two or three similar stations and shuffle them for a little more variety.
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 30, 2015 at 1:16pm
      Hello Jimmy - we do have a shuffle mode that allows you to do just that. Please email us to learn how to shuffle your stations: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim
  4. Janet Brushett
    September 09, 2015 at 7:40am
    Whenever I try to add a new station, the app closes. Is there a fix for this?
    1. PandoraSupport
      September 10, 2015 at 10:21am
      Hey Janet, sorry to hear this. Email us and we'll help: pdora.co/writeus -Katie
  5. Robert
    September 17, 2015 at 12:36pm
    I really want to star (select) and unstar (unselect) one or more features listed under the Features of This Track, to help the station fine tune the selection to my preferred music style. For example, I want to star the "minor key tonality" and "electronica influences", and "a breathy female lead vocalist", but would prefer to unstar "offensive lyrics" and "vocal harmonies". Why not let me choose (or at least down vote) those traits I don't want, and upvote those I do? Most of the time Pandora does a horrible job assuming the traits I do (and don't) like based on a song or songs I seed my station with. It seems to give preference to anything in that artist's genre, rather than tune itself to my particular likes and dislikes.
  6. Tim Diller
    October 09, 2015 at 9:03am
    Please add me to the list of people who would like to have a "no live music" filter. I have been giving every Live song a thumbs down for years and still get them regularly.
  7. brian fitzgerald
    October 20, 2015 at 1:54pm
    Wow, I guess I'm not alone ;-) How many times do customers have to feed back their unhappiness about the 100 station limit before a change is made? Long time Pandora subscriber, super bummed out. I've also been in in consumer tech product development for 20 years and honestly can't understand why you guys throttle this. I'd totally pay, too, if you wanted to be mercenary about it...but the better long term approach is to just set it as unlimited and keep users deeply engaged in your product before we switch to Spotify or one of the other services that are increasingly getting better at on-demand stations. Please help.
  8. John
    October 22, 2015 at 8:25am
    I chose the band Rush for 1 of my stations, but it's only played ONE Rush song (3-4 Pink Floyd's already in about 6-7 songs???) Why? I'd love more or MOSTLY RUSH if I chose them...know what I mean?
  9. Miranda
    November 08, 2015 at 4:20pm
    I'm not upgraded cause I don't wanna pay the $5 a month, but why not let me hear a little of every one of my stations when I put it on shuffle opposed to only half of them? PLEASE!
    1. PandoraSupport
      November 09, 2015 at 3:12pm
      Hi Miranda - you have the ability to edit your shuffle to include all stations. Please email us so we can make sure nothing is wrong with your account: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Kim
  10. fried noggin
    December 13, 2015 at 7:10pm
    in order to truly be able to tweak your stations having a feature to move a song into a channel would be great. plus the like button algorithm puts all thumbed up songs on equal footing potentially changing your station drastically. so somehow allowing a song to be added to the station without messing up the current framework would be ideal. there are songs that I would like added to certain stations but the music it would draw into the station would totally wreck the station. plus as everyone else states having more than 100 channels would give you more flexibility to discover new music.

Reply to Cameron cross Cancel Reply