Music discovery has always been at the heart of the Pandora experience and today we’re thrilled to announce the launch of personalized station recommendations on both iOS and Android mobile devices.

Pandora had 76.2 million people listening to 1.58 billion hours of music just last month alone. When you layer on the more than 35 billion pieces of thumb feedback we have received since launching in 2005, it equates to billions of data points right at our fingertips. These valuable insights into our listeners’ tastes provide us with a deep understanding of what people love about music and enables us to power the best personalized radio experience for each individual listener.

Up until now, we have primarily been focused on making behind-the-scenes improvements to the playlist experience and we’re excited about the opportunity to apply our same methodology to this brand new Pandora feature.

Here’s how it works:

Personalized station recommendations on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets will provide listeners with up to 6 suggested artist stations to add and listen to at a time, based on current listening preferences, taking into account your station list and what you have told us you like or dislike through thumb interactions.  Station recommendations can be found in a couple of areas in the Pandora app:

• Create a Station screen: when you tap to create a station, your recommendations will be listed on the screen.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.
  • Bottom of Station List: If you scroll down your station list, you will see recommendations at the bottom.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.

Your station recommendation list is refreshed when a new station is created or deleted. We will be rolling out this new feature with personalized artist station recommendations and have future plans to evolve and refine the recommendations feature already under development. The more you engage with the product, the more Pandora will learn about your musical preferences and tastes and be able to further optimize the station recommendations for the best personalized listening experience.

Create Station View (2)More Recs View

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of this new product feature. We’ve said this before, but we’re really just getting started. As we work to fulfill our mission to completely reinvent radio, we are constantly thinking of new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment. So stay tuned for even more product enhancements and updates on all of our platforms throughout 2014.

Happy discovering!

Comments

1. Mell
    June 10, 2014 at 7:44am
    Whats up with the big ol' Bank of America ad. I don't mind the ads so much but when they take over the top portion of your screen, that is going too far. TAKE IT OFF!
  2. John
    June 15, 2014 at 6:27pm
    With all due respect, I don't want Station Recommendations. Allow users to disable please.
    1. PandoraSupport
      June 19, 2014 at 9:58am
      @John Thanks for your feedback. We'll note it. -Alyssa
      1. Charlie
        November 10, 2015 at 7:13am
        It's been noted and almost 2 years, when can we see an option to not get recommendations?
  3. don
    July 19, 2014 at 3:35pm
    I'd like to not get so many repeats? When you have 20 or so stations from artists with big libraries, repeats should be very far in between. It would also be most awesome if there was a way to customize the IOS device skin. For instance I just want my screen to show a big image of album art and track name and artist. I don't always need all the artist bio, lyrics and such. This would make an awesome driving experience.
    1. PandoraSupport
      July 21, 2014 at 2:53pm
      @Don Please get in touch with our Listener Advocate Team. They'll be able to offer tuning assistance and tips to improve your listening experience. -Alyssa
  4. Theresa
    July 29, 2014 at 10:01am
    Pandora needs a better software engineer in charge of algorithms. I have liked over 1,600 songs since I started using Pandora in 2006 and I swear I hear the same twenty songs over and over. I always click "I am tired of this track" but it does not matter. And please- for the love of all that is holy, purchase a new license that allows the consumer to skip more songs! You will make money back from pure marketing knowledge that comes from song skips. Pandora is going to lose a lot more listeners if those two errors don't get addressed. I don't know how many times people say just get spotify. Writing an article isn't going to help, but getting new technologies and licenses will!~
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 06, 2014 at 2:56pm
      @Theresa Our Listener Advocates would be happy to take a closer look at your stations and offer tuning suggestions. Please email them here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  5. Drew
    August 08, 2014 at 8:50am
    Theresa, I couldn't agree more. There is a major defect in the Pandora algorithm. I too have "liked" hundreds and hundreds of songs on Pandora, and yet I keep hearing the same few tracks over and over. That is a serious problem. Over time, Pandora seems to "forget" tracks that I indicated I like. For example, a couple of years ago I gave thumbs up to "Thinking About Tomorrow" by Beth Orton, and I haven't heard this track in ages on Pandora. Same goes for "Movie Theme" by Beck, "Thank You" by Dido, and a whole host of other tracks. I want to hear these tracks again on Pandora but it's like it's forgotten all about them. Even more unforgivably, Pandora plays only certain songs from my favorite artists, and it plays them over and over. For example, even though I chose Elton John to "Add Variety", Pandora keeps playing the same EJ tracks over and over. I'm getting really tired of hearing "Rocket Man", "Crocodile Rock", and "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting." Where is "High Flying Bird", "Blue Avenue", "Jamaica Jerk-off", "Simple Life", "Teacher I Need You", "Friends", "Little Jeannie", "Mama Can't Buy You Love", etc etc etc?? Pandora, are you listening? If not, I (and probably many others) will be saying "buh-bye!!"
    1. Brad
      August 18, 2014 at 9:20am
      I know for a fact there are songs I have liked and I don't hear them forever and then it will play again a couple months later and it isn't thumbed up. Yet songs I don't thumb up but don't dislike will play every day.
      1. S
        September 15, 2014 at 7:11am
        I was wondering why this also happens. I like a song to hear it more often, but I hear the "un-liked" (not meaning disliked for thumbs down) songs so much more often.
  6. Kelly
    September 16, 2014 at 3:46am
    I like to listen to a lot of classic rock and soft rock. There"s just an overwhelming number of live tracks that I don"t care much about. being at the concert is a way different feeling then listening to it in your living room. It sounds horrible. I thumbs down as many live versions as I can but I meet skip limit. Pandora has and always be my choice of music streaming....please don't make me change that.
  7. conradarch
    November 14, 2014 at 10:07am
    I've added three dozen different composers to my principal station using the 'add variety' function but I still keep hearing the same three songs over and over every day...often after just two intervening selections. One of these I have even repeatedly downvoted. I think it's various performances of the same piece (this is classical music we're talking about here). Advice most welcome.
    1. PandoraSupport
      November 14, 2014 at 3:42pm
      Hi Conrad, our Listener Advocates would be more than happy to help you with this. Email them here so they can take a closer look: http://pdora.co/writeus -Katie
  8. Chris
    November 26, 2014 at 10:33am
    Ditto the need for more than 100 stations.
  9. Cm
    January 26, 2015 at 9:22pm
    I just got the new pandora update on my iphone and whenever I try to add or delete a station it tells me to try again or cancel. When I press try again the same message keeps popping up, what do I do?
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 31, 2015 at 5:31pm
      Hi CM, sorry to hear you're having issues with the app. Please email us and we'll help you: http://pdora.co/writeus -Katie
  10. Christopher Burrell
    February 18, 2015 at 6:42am
    Nice feature but the stations keep playing the same songs. I don't want to hear the most popular songs from the artists over and over, I want to hear ALL their music...

Reply to Drew Cancel Reply