Music discovery has always been at the heart of the Pandora experience and today we’re thrilled to announce the launch of personalized station recommendations on both iOS and Android mobile devices.

Pandora had 76.2 million people listening to 1.58 billion hours of music just last month alone. When you layer on the more than 35 billion pieces of thumb feedback we have received since launching in 2005, it equates to billions of data points right at our fingertips. These valuable insights into our listeners’ tastes provide us with a deep understanding of what people love about music and enables us to power the best personalized radio experience for each individual listener.

Up until now, we have primarily been focused on making behind-the-scenes improvements to the playlist experience and we’re excited about the opportunity to apply our same methodology to this brand new Pandora feature.

Here’s how it works:

Personalized station recommendations on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets will provide listeners with up to 6 suggested artist stations to add and listen to at a time, based on current listening preferences, taking into account your station list and what you have told us you like or dislike through thumb interactions.  Station recommendations can be found in a couple of areas in the Pandora app:

• Create a Station screen: when you tap to create a station, your recommendations will be listed on the screen.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.
  • Bottom of Station List: If you scroll down your station list, you will see recommendations at the bottom.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.

Your station recommendation list is refreshed when a new station is created or deleted. We will be rolling out this new feature with personalized artist station recommendations and have future plans to evolve and refine the recommendations feature already under development. The more you engage with the product, the more Pandora will learn about your musical preferences and tastes and be able to further optimize the station recommendations for the best personalized listening experience.

Create Station View (2)More Recs View

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of this new product feature. We’ve said this before, but we’re really just getting started. As we work to fulfill our mission to completely reinvent radio, we are constantly thinking of new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment. So stay tuned for even more product enhancements and updates on all of our platforms throughout 2014.

Happy discovering!

Comments

1. Karen Grant
    February 14, 2014 at 6:11pm
    LOL, not working for me i'll stick with tune in and iheart radio
  2. smokersodysseycom
    February 15, 2014 at 1:41pm
    Could we keep merengue out of he salsa genre station? It's not cool! I mean like you won't find CW in a Jazz station. Salsa is latin Jazz and it doesn't include merengue. Thanks!
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 18, 2014 at 9:48am
      @Smokersodysseycom Try these tuning tips to create the Salsa station you're looking for: http://pdora.co/tunepandora. Also, check your station details to remove any thumbed up songs that have a merengue sound that may be causing your station to drift. -Alyssa
  3. Jim
    February 18, 2014 at 1:06pm
    Recently my Pandora keeps shutting of requiring me to log back in on my iphone after every other song? Please tell there is some simple oversight that I am missing and not just another ploy to get me to again upgrade. This free internet radio I started with started getting more and more commercials and less and less listening time without an upgrade, so I upgraded and now this? What's up?
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 25, 2014 at 9:37am
      @Jim Sorry for your trouble. We recently released a fix for this iOS issue. Please update your app. -Alyssa
  4. JJones
    February 20, 2014 at 2:18pm
    I had the station recommendation - it was great! But it disappeared from my app :( that's not great. How do I get it back?
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 25, 2014 at 9:38am
      @JJones Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Email our Support Team if you're still unable to locate them: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  5. Steve
    February 23, 2014 at 12:43pm
    When are you going to offer more skins for your face page?
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 25, 2014 at 9:40am
      @Steve We're constantly working on improvements. I'll note your request for our Product Team. Thanks! -Alyssa
  6. Scott
    March 09, 2014 at 9:57am
    Are there more modern skins coming to Pandora mobile and for the Pandora One pages?
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 18, 2014 at 4:02pm
      @Scott I've noted your suggestion for our Product Team. Thanks for your feedback. -Alyssa
  7. Scott
    March 09, 2014 at 9:59am
    Will there ever be a drop down menu option, move song to another station on mobile version? So many songs played on created stations are not remotely related to the stations genre.
    1. PandoraSupport
      March 18, 2014 at 4:04pm
      @Scott Get in touch with Pandora Support here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  8. Scott
    March 09, 2014 at 10:02am
    Are there any more updates to the vehicle radios having Pandora radio buttons vs. Sirius/XM radio buttons to hit to fully listen to Pandora vs. connecting thru a smartphone? This article stated that this was underway but I can't find any real info on where to buy these radios to install in newly purchased vehicles? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/10/us-sirius-pandora-idUSBRE90914K20130110
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 06, 2014 at 3:28pm
      @Scott Please email our Support Team for more information here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  9. Cameron
    March 24, 2014 at 7:15am
    I have a bit of a complaint. I use to listen to the free version of Pandora, but decided I didn't want listen to commercials, or the "Are you still listening? We dont like to play music for an empty room." questions that pop up while I'm working, so I decided to pay and be free of it. Well, guess what? It still asks me. And the rooms not empty. If I pay for it, then i should be able to play it without any disturbances. Right? Thank you for listening to my rant.
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 06, 2014 at 3:29pm
      @Cameron Thanks for your feedback. Our Support Team can give you clarification on this. Please email them here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  10. Paul
    June 02, 2014 at 1:50pm
    seems there should also be "too much of this song." Since Pandora also pulls from concert versions, I feel like I hear the same songs over and over, turning favorites into detested songs in a matter of days. Like most users over 50, I feel that Pandora has already written me off as a geezer and not adaptive enough to listen to anything written after 1989. True?
    1. PandoraSupport
      June 03, 2014 at 11:49am
      @Paul Please try using this feature: http://pdora.co/tiredtrack. Email our Listener Advocates if you continue to have playlist trouble. They'll take a closer look! -Alyssa
      1. Jordan
        August 06, 2014 at 3:29pm
        To Paul's point: I have hit the "tired of this track" button, only to again hear the "concert-version" of the track! It would be nice if: 1. This didn't happen, "too tired" means too tired of the song altogether including concert versions. 2. Give users the ability to disable concert-versions altogether. Live music is great but I'm not always in the mood. Sometimes I just need my clean studio version to listen to, especially when working! Thanks!

Reply to Manuel Orduno Cancel Reply