Music discovery has always been at the heart of the Pandora experience and today we’re thrilled to announce the launch of personalized station recommendations on both iOS and Android mobile devices.

Pandora had 76.2 million people listening to 1.58 billion hours of music just last month alone. When you layer on the more than 35 billion pieces of thumb feedback we have received since launching in 2005, it equates to billions of data points right at our fingertips. These valuable insights into our listeners’ tastes provide us with a deep understanding of what people love about music and enables us to power the best personalized radio experience for each individual listener.

Up until now, we have primarily been focused on making behind-the-scenes improvements to the playlist experience and we’re excited about the opportunity to apply our same methodology to this brand new Pandora feature.

Here’s how it works:

Personalized station recommendations on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets will provide listeners with up to 6 suggested artist stations to add and listen to at a time, based on current listening preferences, taking into account your station list and what you have told us you like or dislike through thumb interactions.  Station recommendations can be found in a couple of areas in the Pandora app:

• Create a Station screen: when you tap to create a station, your recommendations will be listed on the screen.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.
  • Bottom of Station List: If you scroll down your station list, you will see recommendations at the bottom.  You can create a new station by tapping that station name or choose to expand “More Recommendations” to view more.

Your station recommendation list is refreshed when a new station is created or deleted. We will be rolling out this new feature with personalized artist station recommendations and have future plans to evolve and refine the recommendations feature already under development. The more you engage with the product, the more Pandora will learn about your musical preferences and tastes and be able to further optimize the station recommendations for the best personalized listening experience.

Create Station View (2)More Recs View

As always, we’d love to hear what you think of this new product feature. We’ve said this before, but we’re really just getting started. As we work to fulfill our mission to completely reinvent radio, we are constantly thinking of new ways to seamlessly deliver the best personalized radio experience in every possible listening environment. So stay tuned for even more product enhancements and updates on all of our platforms throughout 2014.

Happy discovering!

Comments

1. MDHOYT
    January 16, 2014 at 7:23am
    First timer here, different topic (sorry). For as long as I can remember, when the curser (desktop) is moved over the station list, the list moves in opposite directions as I am moving. When I move the curser off the list it moves entirely up or down. Makes it very hard to select the channel I want to.
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 17, 2014 at 5:28pm
      @Mdhoyt Shoot an email to our Listener Advocates for some help: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  2. Kevin McIntyre
    January 17, 2014 at 8:14am
    I'd like to be able to see a graphic of the genome for my stations: something like a Wordle showing which elements are most prominent/central to how music is selected. It could just be colored dots of various sizes with the genome number which I'd need to mouse-over to view the full description of that element. If we're shooting for the moon, I'd love to be able to thumbs up/down individual elements from the same graphic. :-D
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 13, 2014 at 10:31am
      @Kevin We'll note this suggestion. It'd be a cool visual. Thanks! -Alyssa
  3. Cindy Auricchio
    January 17, 2014 at 4:40pm
    When listening to Lady Gaga's Poker Face, I noticed that the lyrics listed do not relate to the song. Perhaps you can make a correction., Thank you
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 17, 2014 at 5:16pm
      @Cindy Thanks for the heads up. We'll let our lyric provider know this mistake. -Alyssa
  4. Harry Kuheim
    January 17, 2014 at 4:44pm
    My Pandora keeps cycling through my Stations as if I was fast forwarding them or giving thumbs down....What's up ?...anyone?
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 17, 2014 at 5:16pm
      @Harry Get in touch with our Listener Support Team for help: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  5. Michael Grove
    January 28, 2014 at 1:35pm
    Can not access app. HELP!!!
    1. PandoraSupport
      January 30, 2014 at 4:13pm
      @Michael Please email our Support Team for a password reset: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  6. Joseph Roppolo
    February 01, 2014 at 1:59am
    Pandora needs a complaint form.And that complaint would be with so much music out there for each station why does evey staion keep repeating the short list of songs it has.Tired of hereing the same music over and over again no mater the channel.Repeat repeat repeat.Can not stand that type of wearing out of good tunes when there is so much more.Love the quality of the high def.Love alot of the songs they have selected.But its getting boring.Please join in with my plea and see if someone can figure out how to get them the news.I am certain that I must not be alone in this quest.Chip in and Thanks for your time.
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 06, 2014 at 9:29am
      @JosephRoppolo Thanks for writing in and expressing your concerns. Please use these tuning tips to get the variety of music you're looking for: http://pdora.co/tunepandora. Let me know how your stations sound after tuning. -Alyssa
  7. Anthony James
    February 05, 2014 at 9:00pm
    It would be nice to import music from my computer or other music service and import playlists.
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 06, 2014 at 9:16am
      @Anthony Thanks for writing in and sharing your suggestion. I'll pass it along to our product team. -Alyssa
  8. victoriadevine
    February 10, 2014 at 10:33am
    When will this feature be rolled out to all mobile users? I don't see this option available on my app, and I don't have an update available. Thanks!
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 10, 2014 at 5:22pm
      @Victoria Please check in with our Listener Advocates: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  9. Mike Richmond
    February 14, 2014 at 2:00pm
    Enough with the political adds!(Keystone Pipeline) WHAT A BUZZ KILL!
  10. Jennifer
    February 14, 2014 at 2:10pm
    Pandora is not user friendly. It sucks ass. I could create something more user friendly and I dont know shit about programming. I was going to upgrade but refuse if it keeps playing worst songs from the artists I choose and then stuck listening to the crap. Bad music pisses me off and makes me want to break things.
    1. PandoraSupport
      February 18, 2014 at 9:53am
      @Jennifer Sorry you're unhappy with your stations. Here are some tuning tips that will improve your listening experience: http://pdora.co/tunepandora. -Alyssa

Reply to Christopher Burrell Cancel Reply