As we’ve discussed, when you thumbs up a song, that act changes the station you’re listening to. Your Favorites, however, is a place to “bookmark” songs so that you can keep track of them for later. This will not change your stations one bit; it only keeps a list of songs so you don’t have to write down song or artist names on (gasp) paper. These two features are complementary, but distinct.
Favoriting a song (do this by clicking on the album art) will not alter your station, and thumbs upping a song will alter your station, but it will not keep a handy, printable list for you. Sometimes, you may want to thumbs up and favorite a song. That way you can mold your station while keeping track of the song for later reference. Whee, we’re geekin’ now!
“Favorites” is kind of a misnomer for me. These songs aren’t necessarily my favorites; I use it as more of a To-Research List. I add songs to my Favorites list when I like the song, sure. I’ve got five pages of Oh Wow, This Is A Great Song. But I also add songs to my Favorites page because I’m busy when the song comes on, and I really just want to research it later.

The unassuming Favorites list has all kinds of handy-dandy features.
* Click on the artist name to find out more about them at the info-licious allmusic.com.
* Listen to clips of the songs.
* Arrange the list by date, song title, artist name, or by the station on which you heard the song.
* Click on the song name to see the cover and name of the album it came from.
* Click through to buy the tunes or albums from iTunes or Amazon.
* Print the whole beast out and bring it to your neighborhood record store so that you don’t draw a blank about what to get when you’re there.
* Here’s an idea that one listener clued me in to: print out your list and hand it to your loved one who doesn’t know what to get you for your birthday! Or (if the artist isn’t too obscure to be found on Amazon), click through our page to Amazon and add it to your Amazon wish list!
Another thing I do is plan CD playlist mixes via my Pandora Favorites list. Whenever I hear a song that fits whatever theme I’m working for the next mix, I keep track of it in my Favorites. Then I buy the tunes and organize them in iTunes (or similar software), creating, I must say, a work of Art.
You can add a song to your Favorites list even after the song is done playing…
This is handy for times when you step away from the computer for a bit and miss some songs…but now you want to know what those missed songs sounded like! As you know, you can’t rewind to re-play the song. Our music licenses don’t allow for that. But you CAN add the missed songs to your favorites list and listen to clips of them at your leisure. You can even still go back and give feedback on the song even though it’s no longer playing. (and feel free to delete the songs from your fave list by clicking on the little arrow to the left of the song name)
Any time you add a song to your Favorites, the list should pop up for you. Or, any time you just want to take a peek at what’s listed there, click on the little ‘Your Favorites’ box right above your tuner.
cheers, Lucia
written while listening to:
The Dead Texan Radio
this station is very mellow and spare. don’t let the name put you off.

Comments

1. gemurf
    May 24, 2006 at 2:37pm
    I'm not criticizing, because I consider this station the most wonderful crossing between my pc and my favorite music! But are there future plans to expand the options from "I Like It" and "I Don't Like It" to do things such as exclude live tracks, even by artists one loves? The matrix doesn't seem to learn this from rejecting every live track that comes up,and I can see that this may be complicated. Just something to consider.
  2. James
    May 24, 2006 at 4:22pm
    Hey this may be the completely wrong place to put this. But I have like 5 or 6 artists that I'd like you to add but don't even register when I enter them in my stations. Here they are: Reuben's Accomplice (Tempe, AZ) The Necronauts (Tempe?, Az) Ember Coast (Tempe, AZ) Ten Dollar Outfit (Phoenix, AZ) De Capulet (Scottsdale, AZ) Skybox (Phoenix, Az/ Chicago, IL) Thanks a lot, I can send these bands' songs to you or whatever you do
  3. ATIX
    May 24, 2006 at 6:47pm
    Pandora love, I wake up and sleep with her its just that amazing, and now it seems that the music I listen to has expanded :) great job pandora staff!
  4. w8in
    May 27, 2006 at 12:45am
    Just wanted to say two things: - Pandora is the best thing since beer - Thanks for mentioning "The Dead Texan". That is great music...I'm going to have to buy the cd.
  5. Christina Mona
    May 27, 2006 at 2:28pm
    Thank you for your existence! You have helped me to fall in love again with music in all her fabulous diversity. Keep up the excellent work.
  6. K.L.A.S
    May 28, 2006 at 8:03am
    Hi Pandora... You've really got me hooked... But tell me do you have any classical music stations that I can tune in to... ?
  7. 24may66
    May 29, 2006 at 4:48am
    Hi Lucia! Congratulations for your service. It's great! Since I discovered Pandora it's the ONE and ONLY source of music I hear on the internet. Nothing compares with it. I discovered new groups and songs that I liked and just never heard about. Great! I agree with jay about the possibility of sorting the 'Songs You Liked' and 'Songs You Didn't Like' (maybe also the 'Items You Added' list). Going a step further, I think it would be very more user-friendly if you could list and sort these lists in the same way as the 'Favorites List'. Also very good to keep track of the songs you already heard and liked ;)
  8. sm
    May 31, 2006 at 4:06am
    Sweet! Gotta start with I love this project. This is by far the greatest music source on the internet. I use it every day at work. I have quick question about favorites. Would it be possible to create a favorites page for each station? Right now I have 3 stations with different genres. Mixing them all together does not make a good list :( It would be great if I could maintain a favorites page for each station :)
  9. Zoe
    June 09, 2006 at 11:38am
    I agree with a lot of the above, and my biggest frustration with Pandora is that i want to thumb up a song because i enjoy it and want to hear it more often, but not that i want to change the whole sound of the station to this... i get locked into indecision with some songs, as i like some aspects particularly but dont like other aspects. this is particularly true for crossover artists, for example i want to thumb up bob dylan for "great lyrics" etc but i dont want to make my station into one big folk festival...would it possible to specify the aspects of a song which you are thumbing up? or even to create stations based on features of music, as opposed to on songs/artists? also, would it be possible to see the album title, as well as the cover? this has lead to hours of trawling the internet with search titles resembling "that blue and yellow album"... Pandora is jeopardising my education!
  10. W.Detour
    June 09, 2006 at 12:26pm
    Hello, Before I read any of these blog entries, I used to give thumbs up in order to remember an artist/song I liked. Is there any way to add these songs to my favorites list, so that I can remove them from my stations? Love the project, btw.

Reply to Stevusmaximus Cancel Reply