As we’ve discussed, when you thumbs up a song, that act changes the station you’re listening to. Your Favorites, however, is a place to “bookmark” songs so that you can keep track of them for later. This will not change your stations one bit; it only keeps a list of songs so you don’t have to write down song or artist names on (gasp) paper. These two features are complementary, but distinct.
Favoriting a song (do this by clicking on the album art) will not alter your station, and thumbs upping a song will alter your station, but it will not keep a handy, printable list for you. Sometimes, you may want to thumbs up and favorite a song. That way you can mold your station while keeping track of the song for later reference. Whee, we’re geekin’ now!
“Favorites” is kind of a misnomer for me. These songs aren’t necessarily my favorites; I use it as more of a To-Research List. I add songs to my Favorites list when I like the song, sure. I’ve got five pages of Oh Wow, This Is A Great Song. But I also add songs to my Favorites page because I’m busy when the song comes on, and I really just want to research it later.

The unassuming Favorites list has all kinds of handy-dandy features.
* Click on the artist name to find out more about them at the info-licious allmusic.com.
* Listen to clips of the songs.
* Arrange the list by date, song title, artist name, or by the station on which you heard the song.
* Click on the song name to see the cover and name of the album it came from.
* Click through to buy the tunes or albums from iTunes or Amazon.
* Print the whole beast out and bring it to your neighborhood record store so that you don’t draw a blank about what to get when you’re there.
* Here’s an idea that one listener clued me in to: print out your list and hand it to your loved one who doesn’t know what to get you for your birthday! Or (if the artist isn’t too obscure to be found on Amazon), click through our page to Amazon and add it to your Amazon wish list!
Another thing I do is plan CD playlist mixes via my Pandora Favorites list. Whenever I hear a song that fits whatever theme I’m working for the next mix, I keep track of it in my Favorites. Then I buy the tunes and organize them in iTunes (or similar software), creating, I must say, a work of Art.
You can add a song to your Favorites list even after the song is done playing…
This is handy for times when you step away from the computer for a bit and miss some songs…but now you want to know what those missed songs sounded like! As you know, you can’t rewind to re-play the song. Our music licenses don’t allow for that. But you CAN add the missed songs to your favorites list and listen to clips of them at your leisure. You can even still go back and give feedback on the song even though it’s no longer playing. (and feel free to delete the songs from your fave list by clicking on the little arrow to the left of the song name)
Any time you add a song to your Favorites, the list should pop up for you. Or, any time you just want to take a peek at what’s listed there, click on the little ‘Your Favorites’ box right above your tuner.
cheers, Lucia
written while listening to:
The Dead Texan Radio
this station is very mellow and spare. don’t let the name put you off.

Comments

1. Chris
    May 21, 2006 at 8:07am
    Hi Lucia, The Favorites option is a fantastic addition to an already amazing web site. Pandora is brilliant. I can't describe my admiration for the Music Genome Project or how well you all have executed the web site. The best I can do is compare it to a time I was living in Dallas during the early 90s. There was a vital local music scene and the public radio station, KERA, had a brilliant DJ named Chris Dorita. He did awesome eclectic programming. Pandora is like having Chris Dorita as my personal music consultant.
  2. Bob
    May 22, 2006 at 7:16am
    It would be great if we could leverage the favorites page to create stations. For example, from the favorites page it would be great to be able to create a mix station based on * all the songs * all the artists This ties in with your last post about managing your station by adding music. For now, "all" of the songs/artists is probably good enough but an obvious enhancement would be to select specific ones. Thanks for listening!
  3. Jay
    May 22, 2006 at 10:26am
    A couple of odd suggestions (from an odd person): 1. Would it be possible for you to arrange the lists of the songs we thumbed (up or down) either by artist or song title? I ask for an odd reason: I like playing with my station (yeah, I only have one, but it is eclectic/eccentric enough to keep me happy), by adding and subtracting artists to see what happens. I'd like to do the same with the songs I marked Like and Don't like, but scrolling through the lists is a chore because it is now (I think) chronological. In addition, before the auto-display of up thumbs I clicked the same songs repeatedly because I could not remember if I had done it already (thanks for that feature by the way). I'm not asking for a sortable list because I suspect that would be a bandwidth drain. Just something more organized for those of us with bad memories and poor eyesight. 2. How about a bit more with the "Go to sleep" function? a. A tab with a list of the sleeping songs. I don't even want a "remove" option, I would just like to know what is on hold for 30 days...just because. b. Even when I am a bit tired of them, I like to listen to songs one last time before I put them to bed for 30 days. Currently we have to stop a song while it is playing. However, we can Up or Down a song after it has finished playing. Can you make Sleep available after the song has finished? As with all of my requests I understand that there are probably huge programing problems that I could never grasp in a zillion years, but I thought I would ask. Cheers, jay Thing I like about Pandora #1588: After listening to Pinball Wizard for the past 20+ years I FINALLY understand all of the lyrics!
  4. Jim McKeeth
    May 22, 2006 at 10:57am
    I like the idea of making a station from favorites too. Maybe just have a station called favorites that always reflects the current favorites list.
  5. Jim McKeeth
    May 22, 2006 at 10:59am
    It took me a second to figure out what Jay meant my a "sleep" option. If I understand correctly, that would be great! I am always listening to a song and then get an idea for a new station, but I don't want to interrupt the current song. So if I could tell it to "pause after this song" or "sleep after this song" that would be WAY COOL. Thanks again!
  6. Vickie
    May 22, 2006 at 4:46pm
    Hey guys !! I love the Pandora concept, so does my 14-year-old daughter, she is hooked totally and is telling all her friends. She would probably have never listened to songs from the 50s and 60s if not from the ease of the computer. How would I know she would fall in love with Johnny Maestro and the Crests ... LOL ... and she goes around singing "Mister Happiness." It's hilarious !!! I could see this kid doing a commericial promoting Pandora to her age group ... She is really enjoying it. I practically have to pry her off my computer !! Yes, she's normal, lol !! Just loves to explore different types of music. She's already starting her favorites with you guys... I enjoy it as well, and would love to promote it on my blogsites. Would that be allright ? and if so how would I do that exactly ? Well, thanks for Pandora !! Kentucky's rocking with Pandora !!
  7. sarukaduke
    May 22, 2006 at 5:38pm
    i have a small favor to ask, please... is there any way that i may eliminate an artist entirely from a station? it seems that no matter what female artist i enter into pandora, i inevitably end up encountering celine dion. i find this terribly disturbing. i realize lots of people like celine, and i respect that. i just don't really care for her music, nor do i find that any of the other characteristics of the songs are what i'm interested in hearing. she's a little to "poppy" for my tastes and i'm not sure why she keeps haunting me. can you please save me? thank you.
  8. David (Ben Zephyr)
    May 23, 2006 at 11:24am
    hehehe ... "Near, far, wherever you are I'll find your Pandora station!"
  9. bennie
    May 23, 2006 at 3:26pm
    love love love the site. i would love to discover the music of other countries, i know that pandora is not intended to go with music genre but would be great to be able to sample music from a particular country, say france or jamaica. especially nice before or after vacation.
  10. Ben Wilson
    May 24, 2006 at 6:38am
    I really enjoying Pandora, aftering having th major of the people I know praise it, the only problem I have with it is not beening able to see what Album the song is from - unless I know the cover, which always nice to see.