As we’ve discussed, when you thumbs up a song, that act changes the station you’re listening to. Your Favorites, however, is a place to “bookmark” songs so that you can keep track of them for later. This will not change your stations one bit; it only keeps a list of songs so you don’t have to write down song or artist names on (gasp) paper. These two features are complementary, but distinct.
Favoriting a song (do this by clicking on the album art) will not alter your station, and thumbs upping a song will alter your station, but it will not keep a handy, printable list for you. Sometimes, you may want to thumbs up and favorite a song. That way you can mold your station while keeping track of the song for later reference. Whee, we’re geekin’ now!
“Favorites” is kind of a misnomer for me. These songs aren’t necessarily my favorites; I use it as more of a To-Research List. I add songs to my Favorites list when I like the song, sure. I’ve got five pages of Oh Wow, This Is A Great Song. But I also add songs to my Favorites page because I’m busy when the song comes on, and I really just want to research it later.

The unassuming Favorites list has all kinds of handy-dandy features.
* Click on the artist name to find out more about them at the info-licious allmusic.com.
* Listen to clips of the songs.
* Arrange the list by date, song title, artist name, or by the station on which you heard the song.
* Click on the song name to see the cover and name of the album it came from.
* Click through to buy the tunes or albums from iTunes or Amazon.
* Print the whole beast out and bring it to your neighborhood record store so that you don’t draw a blank about what to get when you’re there.
* Here’s an idea that one listener clued me in to: print out your list and hand it to your loved one who doesn’t know what to get you for your birthday! Or (if the artist isn’t too obscure to be found on Amazon), click through our page to Amazon and add it to your Amazon wish list!
Another thing I do is plan CD playlist mixes via my Pandora Favorites list. Whenever I hear a song that fits whatever theme I’m working for the next mix, I keep track of it in my Favorites. Then I buy the tunes and organize them in iTunes (or similar software), creating, I must say, a work of Art.
You can add a song to your Favorites list even after the song is done playing…
This is handy for times when you step away from the computer for a bit and miss some songs…but now you want to know what those missed songs sounded like! As you know, you can’t rewind to re-play the song. Our music licenses don’t allow for that. But you CAN add the missed songs to your favorites list and listen to clips of them at your leisure. You can even still go back and give feedback on the song even though it’s no longer playing. (and feel free to delete the songs from your fave list by clicking on the little arrow to the left of the song name)
Any time you add a song to your Favorites, the list should pop up for you. Or, any time you just want to take a peek at what’s listed there, click on the little ‘Your Favorites’ box right above your tuner.
cheers, Lucia
written while listening to:
The Dead Texan Radio
this station is very mellow and spare. don’t let the name put you off.

Comments

1. Ira Schneider
    May 19, 2006 at 11:36am
    Hi Lucia, I have a question for you. Is there any way in the world that I can pause or stop a station? Sometimes a phone call or a doorbell ring comes at a time that is inappropiate for me. I had asked this question of Vic Wong but he has not responded. Is he still with the company? Please let me know if that is the case. Regards, Ira
  2. Lucia @ Pandora
    May 19, 2006 at 11:40am
    Yes! The Pause button is the middle button at the top right-hand corner of the tuner. Between Play and Skip. Enjoy!
  3. David (Ben Zephyr)
    May 19, 2006 at 2:32pm
    It would be nice to have a feature to search for and add a song to your favorites from the favorites page instead of only from a Pandora station. That way, you could still keep track of songs you happened to hear somewhere else or heard on Pandora but for some reason didn't add at the time. I envision some sort of song search engine that shows multiple results in the same format as your favorites page (ie with a link to an audio clip, etc to help you identify the song you want). - David Ben Zephyr
  4. Jan
    May 19, 2006 at 3:29pm
    Hi Lucia! Another great feature, in my opinion, is that you can create new stations from your or other people's favorites. You click on one of the songs and on the following page you click "Create a station: song x". It would be quite handy, if this link was placed directly on the list for each song. Cheers, Jan
  5. Greenling
    May 19, 2006 at 5:47pm
    This is probably silly, but... is there any way to "drag around" or otherwise rearrange your stations, and if not, could there be? I'm anal-retentive like that. It would also be nice if there were a way to "clear the cache" without reloading the page entirely- this computer apparently screams like a stuck pig about low disk space after a couple of hours' worth of music- but that's not terribly important, I'm sure.
  6. Lori
    May 19, 2006 at 7:54pm
    Thanks, Lucia! That really clears up a couple of things I had been wondering about for a while now.
  7. minijonb
    May 20, 2006 at 9:50am
    Hi Lucia! I already have over 100 songs on my favorites list. Is there a limit to the number of songs I can have... or can I keep adding forever? Thanks, Jon B
  8. Rolf
    May 20, 2006 at 10:18am
    I agree with Greenling, I'd like to rearrange my stations, too. And the option to rearrange the favourites would be a great feature as well, especially as they appear on my personal blog, and I can't do nothing to push my favorite favorite to the top.
  9. adan
    May 20, 2006 at 5:09pm
    a small request for this Favorites feature, have it NOT open up a pop up when I add a favorite ;) Make the adding of a favorite song, just as transparant as the 'thumbing up' of a track ;) I like the favorites, but the pop up is kind of annoying, in a multi-tasking world with many windows already open :P
  10. Dr.Robert
    May 20, 2006 at 9:11pm
    Just found Pandora today, and some interesting results. First, it as much as software hates it when we do this, it is difficult not to anthropomorphisize Pandora. After throwing an admitedly diverse group of artists and songs her way, Pandora, that wench, would go down some tangential path that had minor relation to my choices, it seemed, challenging me to say 'cease and desist' as each successive song was more entrenched in a genre (60's pop in one case) that she chose. When I finally told her enough, she would do the same with another genre (female jazz singers)until I once again put her in her place. For all her vacilation and fickleness, she is definitely seductive, and I fear I may find myself visiting her at all hours of the night, just to see what surprises she has in store! On another note, there is strangeness in the selection process. I wanted to add Keith Jarret's the Koln Concert to my station, and it was not found, only to show up on its own later. Also, I wanted to add an East Indian influence and found that Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Kahn were not known. Neither was British Artist Mariam Stockley, making me wonder if we have an American chauvenist on our hands.

Reply to Faith No More Fan Cancel Reply