iPhone1.1.jpg
Today we’re rolling the first upgrade to Pandora for iPhone, the free version of Pandora internet radio for your iPhone and iPod touch.
In addition to a number of important bug fixes this version has a handful of new features:
+ Stereo over WiFi – Pandora stations now play in high bitrate stereo when using Pandora over WiFi. This makes an iPod touch the perfect companion to your living room stereo. Just dock and play.
+ Station Resume – when you’re using Pandora and switch to another application, or take an incoming phone call, the music will resume right where you left off when you start Pandora back up. It’s not as good as background listening (which isn’t currently possible on the iPhone) but at least you won’t miss anything if you need to hop out to another app for a minute.
+ Search Auto-Complete – as you type an artist, song or composer in the station creation screen we will offer suggestions in real time as you go.
+ Station Sorting – view your stations either by the creation date or alphabetically.
+ On Phone Registration – users that are new to Pandora can now complete account registrations on the iPhone and iPod touch.
+ Settings Panel – swap your Pandora login without reinstalling the app.
To get started just visit: http://pandora.com/on-the-iphone.
Note: Pandora is currently available on approximately 30 other mobile phones. Check http://www.pandora.com/on-the-go to see if your phone is currently supported. While we’re not ready to talk specifically about timing, for those of you with smartphones from other vendors please know that we haven’t forgotten about you and we’re hard at work on versions of Pandora for your phone too. Stay tuned!

Comments

1. Michael D
    August 11, 2008 at 11:51am
    I love the Pandora app for the iPod Touch / iPhone. One feature that I'd really love to see is for it to include rotation so if I dock my device on its side, it'd reorient itself. I don't think this additional feature would be tooooo hard to implement (favorite last words). Other than that, Its sweet. By the way, if I hit the >>| button, does that mean "I like it, but don't play it for a month"? Is that option not implemented on the iPhone client? thanks! -Michael http://dinsmoreworkshop.com
  2. Kulfi
    August 12, 2008 at 11:48am
    Great App!!!! I have a 2G iPhone. One rather unhappy problem is that when on the Edge network incoming phone calls are not coming thro. They are getting directed to voice mail after just one ring. I have not checked the same while on a WiFi network (did not get any phone calls while using this on WiFi). Please fix this. I'm already hooked on the app but it'll definitely be a problem if incoming phone calls do not come through!!!
  3. Ben
    August 12, 2008 at 12:40pm
    I downloaded pandora when it first came out and I loved the first version. When I saw the update I downloaded that in a heartbeat as well. But ever since I downloaded the update I've had the same problems listed above. The volume will drop right after I but my ipod touch on sleep. The other problem is the skipping of the songs!!! Forgive me if I am wrong but aren't update supposed to FIX problems not add to them? If you could please work this out before it skips another of my favorite tunes. Other than that I love your program and you're doing a good job.
  4. Mike
    August 12, 2008 at 1:19pm
    @those who comment that 64k bitrate sounds quality is too low. You realize that this is 128k "quality", just in mono, right? Fidelity wise, there is no difference, just one channel instead of two. @impatient iphone users (I am one as well) Realize this is a free app for us, that others have to pay *monthly* for. Realize that *your* ability to stream 128kbits on other apps over your *local* 3g network means only so much. 3g speeds vary by locality, and are not guaranteed (cell networks are shared resources, so if others around you use it often and heavily it will decrease your own bandwidth). I do, however, agree that it would be nice to have buffer/bitrate options laid out for us so that we can customize it based on our g (2g/3g) and local network conditions. It would be awesome to be able to switch back to the springboard and keep the music playing, too. Thank you for the current killer iphone app.
  5. Eric
    August 13, 2008 at 2:51pm
    I'm with the many others...PPPLEASE bring this to Windows Mobile soon!
  6. Heath
    August 13, 2008 at 3:43pm
    The pandora application should be available for the Blackjack 2 from AT&T!!!
  7. Greets
    August 15, 2008 at 11:40am
    I love using the Pandora Iphone app. My friends and I are constantly tuning in to listen to some sweet jams. The only thing that I dislike about the Ipod version is that you can't search for stations that have been created on the actual site. I understand that there are probably some serious technical barriers that bring down the availability of such an option, but it would be a nice feature to have if you guys can manage it. Greets
  8. lurquizo
    August 17, 2008 at 12:56pm
    I felt sick when I read the article at Huffington Post recently about the problems you're having. We LOVE Pandora & I tell all my friends about it. There has to be a way to preserve this! Is there anyone we can write to? Hang in there! You are really appreciated by your fans.
  9. PoPPaP
    August 18, 2008 at 12:45am
    @Kulfi It is the limitation of EDGE network. Only 3G can have voice and data simultaneously.
  10. Daniel
    August 18, 2008 at 6:57am
    "Absolutely agree that Pandora will in fact be better when we can stream stereo over the cellular connection. But it's all about bitrates. The highest bitrate we can stream at reliably on 3G is 64Kbps and using MP3 the stereo files just sound terrible compared to the mono versions. Sure you get some stereo separation but to cram the extra channel in you lose all kinds of musical fidelity." Surely your audio engineers know that it is incredibly inefficient to transmit a stereo program as two distinct full-bit-rate channels. Most of the information in the left and right channels of typical stereo program material is the same, with small differences accounting for the stereo imaging, and as a result many schemes have been developed and deployed for efficiently encoding digital stereo audio with a small incremental increase over the the needed bitrate for equivalent-quality monaural audio: http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/research_parametric_stereo.htm http://www.scribd.com/doc/266577/Stereo-Coding-for-Audio-Compression http://www.google.com/patents?id=0E4jAAAAEBAJ&dq=5278909 ...and so on. Please tell me that your statement above implying that you would need a second 64kb channel to produce stereo audio equivalent in quality to 64kb mono audio does not actually reflect the position of Pandora's engineering. Lest you think I am down on Pandora, let me just say that if my iPhone didn't do anything else -- including make phone calls -- I would still happily pay for it just to run Pandora, which I consider a paradigm-shifting product. I know you're going through a crisis at the moment, and it would truly be a tragedy, in my view, if you were to be forced to close your doors. Perhaps some sort of revenue channel can be formed from the mobile carriers; I would be willing to endure an increase in my monthly service ($5? $10?) for Pandora access.