iPhone1.1.jpg
Today we’re rolling the first upgrade to Pandora for iPhone, the free version of Pandora internet radio for your iPhone and iPod touch.
In addition to a number of important bug fixes this version has a handful of new features:
+ Stereo over WiFi – Pandora stations now play in high bitrate stereo when using Pandora over WiFi. This makes an iPod touch the perfect companion to your living room stereo. Just dock and play.
+ Station Resume – when you’re using Pandora and switch to another application, or take an incoming phone call, the music will resume right where you left off when you start Pandora back up. It’s not as good as background listening (which isn’t currently possible on the iPhone) but at least you won’t miss anything if you need to hop out to another app for a minute.
+ Search Auto-Complete – as you type an artist, song or composer in the station creation screen we will offer suggestions in real time as you go.
+ Station Sorting – view your stations either by the creation date or alphabetically.
+ On Phone Registration – users that are new to Pandora can now complete account registrations on the iPhone and iPod touch.
+ Settings Panel – swap your Pandora login without reinstalling the app.
To get started just visit: http://pandora.com/on-the-iphone.
Note: Pandora is currently available on approximately 30 other mobile phones. Check http://www.pandora.com/on-the-go to see if your phone is currently supported. While we’re not ready to talk specifically about timing, for those of you with smartphones from other vendors please know that we haven’t forgotten about you and we’re hard at work on versions of Pandora for your phone too. Stay tuned!

Comments

1. JammerUK
    July 31, 2008 at 6:57am
    Pandora sounds great on WiFi, and in fact my uneducated ear doesn't really notice the mono too much when on the road... sounds so much better than over the air radio in the least, especially when you consider its personalized and commercial free! Keep up the excellent work Pandora Team... when I heard Pandora was going to be on the iPhone I couldn't resist!
  2. Adam
    July 31, 2008 at 7:05am
    Yes, Pandora would be the king if it could only stream stereo via 3G at a decent bitrate. Last.fm has a GREAT stereo sound to its stream, but its music algorithm is poor compared to Pandora's - every time I replay my Last.fm it plays the same songs again - not good. Not to mention the bugs and instability in the Last.fm app. As a test, I started streaming Pandora via WiFi at my house and played a song - it was of course playing at a decent bitrate in stereo. I then went into my iPhone 3G settings and switched WiFi off, defaulting the iPhone back to 3G, and then went back in to Pandora. It picked up where I left off and the song was still playing in stereo! The song finished out fine, without any stutter or breakup, but of course the next song that played was back to mono. So I know you guys can implement stereo streaming via 3G! Let's do it! Thanks for such an incredibly great product.
  3. Katie
    July 31, 2008 at 10:06pm
    For everyone for whom the pandora songs stops mid songs and skips to the next one, go to "settings," switch the WiFi network to "off" and the skipping should stop. It worked for me.
  4. Kurt
    August 01, 2008 at 1:26am
    Probably a stupid question, but how do I tie the iPhone to my Pandora.com account? I have some stations set up on the iPhone, which I did before I signed up on Pandora.com. Now that I have stations on the web, how can I make the iPhone app use those stations? I don't see anywhere to tap for any kind of settings or setup. I know I'm missing something obvious...
  5. Stacey
    August 01, 2008 at 2:54pm
    Assume app for the iPhone 3G! I love it. I'm having the skipping problem, too, but it sounds like you are already away of this issue.
  6. bayrider
    August 02, 2008 at 4:39am
    I like Pandora. However, there is DEFINITELY A BUG in it's SW since the volume control IS USELESS most of the time. It does not sense the touch and cannot be adjusted.
  7. Jason
    August 04, 2008 at 8:21am
    @Adam Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out. If it holds for me, it would seem something about the streaming from Wi-Fi was broken when the app was updated to 1.1.
  8. kevin
    August 04, 2008 at 10:37pm
    I've been listening to Pandora radio quite awhile and enjoy it a lot.Being able to pick exactly what you want to hear with nothing else(including commercials) is great!!my only beef is with the Adobe flash player you have to have to listen to Pandora.it is frequently cutting out and inter- rupting songs!!WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? It is so irr- itating!!PLEASE FIX IT!!! Thanks!!
  9. Michelle
    August 07, 2008 at 11:21am
    Great app. It's my most used iPhone application, topping even my use of the phone part of the iPhone! I am an audiophile and find the quality of Pandora streamed over 3G to be very good! There have been a few times I have wished I could see the details of or bookmark a song that finished playing. Would it be possible to add this feature to the Pandora iPhone app? Thanks for a great product!
  10. ibc
    August 07, 2008 at 3:00pm
    Any update on a windows mobile version of pandora, or has it been shelved indefinitely? All you need to know is that Pandora's been saying they're going to provide a Windows Mobile client for, oh, a year or so now. In other words, "Go Cheney yourself."