Finally a step in the right direction. First, lest anyone ever think their phone calls to congress don’t count, hear this: as a direct result of YOUR calls, key congressional reps including Jay Inslee (D-WA, lead sponsor of the Internet Radio Equality Act which now has 130 sponsors) and Ed Markey (D-MA) convened a meeting and brought very serious pressure to bear on everyone to reach a solution… This is grassroots democracy in action.
We’re far from out of the weeds, but we won’t be shutting down on Monday. Man, these last 48 hours were long ones…
For a better summary than I could write, check out Ken Dardis’ post. I’ll continue to post as this develops.
Thank you again. Stay vigilant. We are entering a critical negotiation phase and need to keep the legislative pressure on.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Justin
    July 23, 2007 at 7:51am
    Pandora is such a great service, and one that should be looked upon by all radio stations, new and old, as a blueprint of how online radio can be operated successfully. Keep up the good work Pandora, and thank you for becoming politically active.
  2. Alderman: Karl Robert Peterson
    July 23, 2007 at 8:07am
    Love Pandora... I`ve bought more music over the internet because of this station. I would think musicians would love a thing like this it gets there music out there,that..other wise..would not even know they were there. I know myself,I have bought at least two dozen albums of people I didn`t even know because of this station. Were else can you listin before you buy? and in the privacy of your own home. Taking this station and others like it off the internet would be hurting the music business not helping it.I contacted my Representative and let him know, I think every body should. Karl Peterson Alderman 2nd Ward
  3. Saijaku
    July 23, 2007 at 11:18am
    I sent my congressman an email.
  4. Colin
    July 23, 2007 at 4:02pm
    I'm with James Sims, if it were not for Pandora and internet radio in general, I would not know many of the artists that I do today, nor would I have come to appreciate their music quite so much. In my eyes, it seems that the primary prerogative of the RIAA is to chase away their own customers and drive their artists into a pale ignominity by not allowing a large group of listeners to actually get interested in the artists' music.
  5. JAMES P.
    July 23, 2007 at 4:46pm
    ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE STARTING ABOUT WORKING PEOPLE FOR ONCE; MY WIFE AND I LOVE TO SIT BY OR PC AND LISTEN TO SMOOTH JAZZ WHILE VIEWING OR E-MAILS. THANKS PANDORA FOR BEING FREE.
  6. Alfredo
    July 23, 2007 at 4:49pm
    I exchanged correspondence regarding Internet Broadcasting with both of my Senators (Boxer and Feinstein) as well as my Congresswoman (Matsui). So they are all three aware of the feelings of the voters in this California household. I still hold out hope for old-fashioned "democracy in action."
  7. Wolfgold
    July 23, 2007 at 9:18pm
    Just discovered you guys. Well, actually through the July issues of PC World lauding you guys big time. Thank you for you hard work!
  8. Michiel
    July 24, 2007 at 12:03am
    This is truly an amazing service you have created. It has brought back the joy of music for me as I lost that somewhere around loosing my MP3's by a failing disk, listening too often to my own collection, issues with DRM, etc. etc. Pandora liberates music from the shackles of technology and corporate greed. Thank you so much -- I hope you succeed in your goals.
  9. Dave H
    July 24, 2007 at 7:31am
    Great job guys..keep up the fight! I will
  10. Nathan
    July 24, 2007 at 10:17am
    I think it's great how you guys are fighting to keep your awesome project alive. I love that there is such a venue as pandora by which i can commune with other music lovers and learn about new artists. I do not download illegally, i use pandora as a conduit to finding new groups whose cds i sometimes end up buying, if i like them enough. Keep up the good work, the RIAA are a bunch of fat cat moneygrubbers! let the true artists and appreciaters of it win this battle.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )