On Friday, May 26th at 7PM Pacific Time we’ll be moving the servers that power Pandora from one datacenter to another. Pandora’s new home will give us additional room and capacity for scaling up the service as more and more people stop by to listen. The move should take us 8-10 hours.
Assuming everything goes according to plan, we’ll be up and broadcasting throughout the move, but you’ll not be able to create new stations, give us feedback on songs, or edit your account in any way. Pandora will be in this state until early in the morning on Saturday May 27th at which point we expect things to be back to normal. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Update 7:34PM: We’ve started the move. Cross your fingers for us 🙂
Update 9:15PM: The first of the servers are racked up in their new home.
Update 9:36PM: We’ve just updated our DNS so some traffic is now making its way to the new datacenter! So far so good.
Update 10:38PM: All traffic is now being routed to our new datacenter. We still have lots of hardware to move, but things continue to go well. We’ll be in “read only” mode for a few more hours. Thanks again for your patience with us as we work through this.
Update 11:50PM: Our databases have made the move and we’re able to take your “thumb” feedback and account changes again. You should also be able to create new accounts and stations. There’s still a fair bit of hardware to move, but with some luck, the rest of the operation will be invisible to you.
Completed! 3:45AM: All our servers are now tucked happily into their new home and are serving traffic. Thanks to the truly remarkably team here everything went absolutely perfectly. Thanks again for your patience with us tonight. We’re excited to be in our new home.

Comments

1. Tom Conrad
    May 31, 2006 at 5:20pm
    Hi Christiana, Everything is fine here -- lots of happy listeners at the moment. I'll drop you an email to see if we can't figure out what's up with your situation. Tom CTO @ Pandora
  2. Dima
    May 31, 2006 at 7:59pm
    Yer, ummmm hi it seems that pandora isnt working for me either? It says that you have unexpected technical difficulties? I use firefox instead of IE so maybe thats got something to do with it? I appriciate any help I can get.
  3. Fibo
    June 01, 2006 at 4:51am
    Still loving this! One question though, is there anyway to increase the buffer size locally?
  4. Douglas Muth
    June 02, 2006 at 2:02pm
    I really appreciated the level of detail in your post as things were updated. Keep up the good work! -- Doug
  5. kel
    June 09, 2006 at 9:08pm
    my friends and I all love pandora so dearly. it's the best. keep up the good work. Would be nice if there were more classical music, where one can have a beethoven station or a stravinsky station.
  6. Daniel Peck
    June 10, 2006 at 5:02am
    Pandora is the best. I'm one of their biggest fans :) Cheers, Daniel
  7. Eventhorizon
    June 10, 2006 at 7:40am
    Pandora is the best thing going on the net that I've found (Wikipedia is now second best). I just want to say THANKS to the team at Genome for the hard work and giving music lovers something to cheer about.
  8. Antonio
    June 10, 2006 at 2:11pm
    Besides the obligatory "I really like Pandora," I was thinking of a (probably pretty obvious) feature request. I'd like to be able to see a list of recently-played songs in a given station... I know that you get the little CD covers as context, but that's not always reliable and it only goes so far. (Is there a better way to send feature requests?) Thanks!
  9. main
    June 11, 2006 at 8:31am
    Pandora ABSOLUTELY rocks. Brilliant, I say.
  10. tizzybee
    June 14, 2006 at 3:20pm
    I've finally found a station that plays all the music I love. Thanks a million! I haven't had a bad song yet.