On Friday, May 26th at 7PM Pacific Time we’ll be moving the servers that power Pandora from one datacenter to another. Pandora’s new home will give us additional room and capacity for scaling up the service as more and more people stop by to listen. The move should take us 8-10 hours.
Assuming everything goes according to plan, we’ll be up and broadcasting throughout the move, but you’ll not be able to create new stations, give us feedback on songs, or edit your account in any way. Pandora will be in this state until early in the morning on Saturday May 27th at which point we expect things to be back to normal. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Update 7:34PM: We’ve started the move. Cross your fingers for us 🙂
Update 9:15PM: The first of the servers are racked up in their new home.
Update 9:36PM: We’ve just updated our DNS so some traffic is now making its way to the new datacenter! So far so good.
Update 10:38PM: All traffic is now being routed to our new datacenter. We still have lots of hardware to move, but things continue to go well. We’ll be in “read only” mode for a few more hours. Thanks again for your patience with us as we work through this.
Update 11:50PM: Our databases have made the move and we’re able to take your “thumb” feedback and account changes again. You should also be able to create new accounts and stations. There’s still a fair bit of hardware to move, but with some luck, the rest of the operation will be invisible to you.
Completed! 3:45AM: All our servers are now tucked happily into their new home and are serving traffic. Thanks to the truly remarkably team here everything went absolutely perfectly. Thanks again for your patience with us tonight. We’re excited to be in our new home.

Comments

1. PRADERWILI
    May 30, 2006 at 1:57pm
    I couldnt make it through work without Pandora...It captures my every vibe and serves all the little thoughts floating around in my crazy mind...YEY!
  2. Sam
    May 30, 2006 at 2:18pm
    hey, I don't know where to ask questions so i'm gonna post it here, srry if this is the wrong place. on my station I say I want music values similar to the artist Tenatious D, but I only get one song by them. my sister can put in songs similar to nelly or what-not and get ten songs by him, whats up?
  3. Rod
    May 30, 2006 at 2:45pm
    OK, so now you've got blues, rock, jazz, R&B, folk, country (AND western), house, garage, electronica, dance and every other form of popular and unpopular modern music classified, tagged & databased, when are you going to start in on classical? Listen to you all day. Got you on my site. Tell all my friends about you. Keep it coming. :)
  4. Dave
    May 30, 2006 at 3:57pm
    Very Cool Site, I have found bands here I have NEVER been able to find anywhere els.
  5. AstorZombie
    May 30, 2006 at 7:51pm
    Since the move I'm only getting the audio in mono (at least since the 30th of May anyhow :)).Is this going to be the norm from now on i.e. no stereo sound ?
  6. Tom Conrad
    May 30, 2006 at 10:15pm
    AstorZombie, The audio streams we deliver are stereo. Those servers didn't actually move or change. Sounds like it's something else. Has any of the config changed on your machine? Tom CTO @ Pandora
  7. Jay
    May 31, 2006 at 8:32am
    @Dean - There is an unofficial forum here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/musicyoulove/ I took the liberty of setting it up because I noticed a lot of blog comments are either questions users can answer for one another or people just want to talk about how the service is the best thing since dill pickles. (To be perfectly honest, I asked first, then I worried about all of the things that could wrong, THEN I set it up). Every one is invited to drop by.
  8. Jim Steinmetz
    May 31, 2006 at 3:48pm
    I've listened to multiple genres of music all of my life. A game myself and a few buddies have played, especially on the long way out West to go on a wilderness trek, involved listening to new music and trying to ID qualities, tones, riffs etc that showed the influence of an older musical artist or group. You've made the game into a science! Brilliant! Like the earlier poster, I eagerly await your public offering of shares.-js
  9. Astorzombie
    May 31, 2006 at 4:17pm
    Thanks for the quick reply.The cause of the mono audio was indeed a faulty connection on my computer.You are back in my good graces :)Pandora is excellent !
  10. Christiana
    May 31, 2006 at 5:12pm
    is the website down? I feel like a bit of a luddite here.......but I haven't noticed any comments. I go to www.pandora.com, and it just isn't working anymore.....sniff sniff....