On Friday, May 26th at 7PM Pacific Time we’ll be moving the servers that power Pandora from one datacenter to another. Pandora’s new home will give us additional room and capacity for scaling up the service as more and more people stop by to listen. The move should take us 8-10 hours.
Assuming everything goes according to plan, we’ll be up and broadcasting throughout the move, but you’ll not be able to create new stations, give us feedback on songs, or edit your account in any way. Pandora will be in this state until early in the morning on Saturday May 27th at which point we expect things to be back to normal. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Update 7:34PM: We’ve started the move. Cross your fingers for us 🙂
Update 9:15PM: The first of the servers are racked up in their new home.
Update 9:36PM: We’ve just updated our DNS so some traffic is now making its way to the new datacenter! So far so good.
Update 10:38PM: All traffic is now being routed to our new datacenter. We still have lots of hardware to move, but things continue to go well. We’ll be in “read only” mode for a few more hours. Thanks again for your patience with us as we work through this.
Update 11:50PM: Our databases have made the move and we’re able to take your “thumb” feedback and account changes again. You should also be able to create new accounts and stations. There’s still a fair bit of hardware to move, but with some luck, the rest of the operation will be invisible to you.
Completed! 3:45AM: All our servers are now tucked happily into their new home and are serving traffic. Thanks to the truly remarkably team here everything went absolutely perfectly. Thanks again for your patience with us tonight. We’re excited to be in our new home.

Comments

1. Mike
    May 26, 2006 at 8:47am
    Hi, I just started using pandora and love it. I'm obviously never using one of those internet radio things again, this is great! Had a question, the quality of the music sounds great, whats the bitrate coming through? Just wondering, Mike
  2. Tom Conrad
    May 26, 2006 at 9:03am
    We stream 128Kbps Tom CTO @ Pandora
  3. Jay
    May 26, 2006 at 11:01am
    Thanks for the update and good luck. (Moving, of any sort, ick.) I hope Pandora enjoys her new digs!
  4. luciano costa
    May 26, 2006 at 12:00pm
    the title page could be change to the name of the music is playing..
  5. Lyle Merdler
    May 26, 2006 at 12:49pm
    So far I really enjoy the concept of Pandora and have begun to build stations of interest. But I find the system slow to respond to my requests. Sometimes 3 - 5 minutes will go by with nothing playing. I would also like to see the album detail while the track is playing. Thank you!
  6. FalconEyes
    May 26, 2006 at 1:17pm
    I gotta say I admire the work of the creator of Pandora. The user interface is easy to use, and brilliant! I started using it a few weeks ago, and I just love it! It looks great, sounds great and works great! Congratulations for making such a GREAT product!=)=)
  7. Brittany Russell
    May 26, 2006 at 1:27pm
    I'm in love...honestly this is the greatest! It's exactly what I needed! I was getting so bored of my music but I found it too hard to find more stuff like it! Perfect!! I keep bringing it up in conversations...it's wonderful! so keep up the good work I guess!!
  8. Hermes
    May 26, 2006 at 1:38pm
    I have been listening to internet radio for quite a while and after by accident I discovered Pandora and that was it... I'M HOOKED!!! Congratulations, you are the best
  9. ken
    May 26, 2006 at 1:56pm
    just love the stations i get
  10. Warren
    May 26, 2006 at 1:57pm
    Is there a URL we can load into a standalone player such as Winamp? I know we won't be able to "vote" on the songs this way, but when I'm listening, some links will open up in the window that Pandora is in which will stop the stream. All in all, I love the concept. Took a few songs to refine my playlist, but I'm loving it now.