Over the course of the year since we launched Pandora, one of the most gratifying things for me personally has been the chance to correspond with many of you about the things that you love and hate about Pandora. We’ve been able to answer some of your feature requests with little tweaks here and there, but some of your great ideas meant we had to make some big changes. I’m incredibly excited to tell you that tonight we’ve launched a version of Pandora that tackles some of those tougher problems.
We’ve heard quite often that you want ways to get a wider variety of styles in one listening session. Some of you are looking for stations that are an eclectic mix of all of the kinds of music you love, not just one style. Tonight we’re rolling out a brand new feature called “QuickMix” to answer that request head on. When you visit Pandora, you’ll discover the QuickMix button at the bottom of your station list. Click the button, tell us which of your stations you want to mix together, and click “Listen Now”. We’ll automatically create a station that shuffles those stations together. You can also share your mix station with your friends.
You’ve also told us that we sometimes play a song that you like, but it’s just not a good fit for the station it’s on. Our new “Move this song” feature will let you take it off of the current station and move it to one of your other stations. This is one of our most-requested features and now it’s an option under the song menu. When you hear something you want to move, just click the album art and select “Move this song to another station.”
Finally, some of you have taken us up on the offer to create 100 distinct stations. One thing is clear: with that many stations it can be pretty hard to find the one you’re looking for. Especially since we always sort them in the order you created them. Not anymore. Now you can choose to sort the stations alphabetically too. Just click the “Your Stations” line above the station list to choose your sort preference.
Thanks for inspiring us here every day at Pandora. We love your ideas and suggestions. Keep ’em coming!

Comments

1. Paul Costigan
    October 13, 2006 at 12:49am
    Hey Tom, The QuickMix solution is incredible. It really solves one of the puzzles for maintaining a balance of taught song based stations and an eclectic 'fill the room' playlist. Is there a way to extend the Station Name column so that a station name can show more than 20 characters?
  2. Vitor
    October 13, 2006 at 2:44am
    No, thank you! Thanks to Pandora, I don't even listen to my CDs or MP3s anymore, for months already! You're doing a fantastic job there, keep it going on! Your fan, Vitor
  3. Luka Kladaric
    October 13, 2006 at 2:59am
    is there any difference between creating two artist stations and QuickMix-ing them and creating one station with the same two artists associated with it? I'm currently using one station with 9 different artists (ranging from hiphop to metal) and it seems to be working OK will I gain anything by splitting them up into thematic stations and then QuickMixing them?
  4. Johan Zijlstra
    October 13, 2006 at 3:05am
    Strange. Yesterday I thought that I would have to mail to ask for that function. Apparently I am not the only one longing for that function. Is it also possible that you can split stations? That would be useful as well.
  5. Joan
    October 13, 2006 at 4:06am
    Great features :o) as always... Looking forward to try the QuickMix possibilities, and might find the "Move this song..." feature handy along the way. The long awaited feature to sort my stations is the real treat for me (thx), though it still has room for improvement I have to say. Because the only way to get my favourite stations and thereby make them the easiest to chose on top of the list regardless of name or date is to rename all of them in order to make them begin with 01, 02 etc, which is possible with my 14 stations but not with a larger number of stations, and then there is the future need once in a while to reorder them when I make new stations... That´s quite a task and furthermore not ideal since I can't rename the shared stations from friends. Couldn´t there be sometime in the future an easy feature for numbering my stations as I wish and sort them by those numbers, perhaps something looking a little like the menu, where the QuickMix stations are selected? Anyway great to have the possibility now even though it takes a little work, thx and keep up the amazing quality of improvements :o)
  6. Stefan
    October 13, 2006 at 4:19am
    Awsome! I believe that you solved at least 95% of all requests in just one update!
  7. Anne
    October 13, 2006 at 5:32am
    You don't need to be in your 70's to appreciate the music of their era. I'm in my 40's and love that music. Have you considered letting people choose alternately by type of music. For example....Crooners (New and Old)....Big Band...Good Old Rock and Roll...Classic Rock....etc. Also how about some more Canadian content. There are many great bands which are not in your search list. Trooper, for example, from the west coast.
  8. Rich B
    October 13, 2006 at 6:03am
    Actually to elaborate on the last comment about resizing the station names, I would like to see the whole interface become resizable. This would really make the whole application more versatile. But overall, great work! The new features are awesome, but I have loved Pandora from the start! Keep up the good work!
  9. Sa
    October 13, 2006 at 6:43am
    THANK YOU for the "move this song" option. I brought up pandora this morning, not knowing about the changes, and the second song I heard I wanted to move. I went to bookmark it, and there was the new option! Happiness =) So thanks for the new tool, and thanks for designing all of pandora so that even new options are intuitive to find & use.
  10. Curry
    October 13, 2006 at 7:26am
    Hi Tom, I'm living the cubicle life at work, and when I put on the headphones, it's all Pandora all the time. Compared to Yahoo, Shoutcast, and the others, I've found Pandora to be the best at being able to create a vibe that fits my mood. I had no complaints before, but the new features are outstanding. The shuffle is perfect for me. And you all are doing a great job with this. Keep up the great work, and thanks!