myTouch_now_playing.jpgWhen I think about my connection with music, I think about three impulses: the impulse to discover, the impulse to buy, and the impulse to share. Here at Pandora we’ve had the discover and buy bits covered for some time, but it’s been frustrating to use Pandora to share the music you’re encountering with your friends. You could send an email or embed a widget on MySpace, but in the age of Twitter and Facebook our offering has been pretty spartan. That all changed tonight.
With our new release we’ve added a sharing toolbar above the player so you’re always just a click away from sharing a song or a station with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. The first time you share on one of these networks, you’ll have to go through a series of pages that will connect your Pandora account with your Twitter or Facebook account. After that, it’s a just a simple click to share. When you post songs to Facebook your friends will be able to listen to samples right in their news feed. On Twitter we’ll post a shortened link to a page featuring just the song or station you shared.
This release also brings our station gifting feature to the foreground for the first time. Click the little present icon in the sharing toolbar and we’ll take you to a page where you can create an entirely new station to “give” to a friend. We’ll send it along to them in a fancy email, kind of like an electronic greeting card — or maybe more precisely, like a modern version of the mixtape.
Have fun playing with these new sharing features. Can’t wait to see what you discover…
Tom
(CTO)
PS: want to see what other people are finding and posting to Twitter? Try using this Twitter search link.

Comments

1. Colin
    October 28, 2009 at 7:47am
    What about a layer of integration using Facebook Connect or Twitter OAuth that automatically posts bookmarks or likes to the associated account? What does everyone think?
  2. Jackie Romulo
    October 28, 2009 at 8:10am
    I've been waiting for a feature like this! Yesterday while I was listening to a nostalgic tune from high school I thought to myself, "I wish I could share this with my HS friends on my FB page", and now I can. =) Thanks for the update! Looking for more integration in the future.
  3. Lance
    October 28, 2009 at 9:53am
    Ugh.. I hate these buttons on websites. Why has this infiltrated my pandora?
  4. A.E. Daniels
    October 28, 2009 at 10:23am
    My daughter and family are pursuing her dreams of becoming a world famous singer/actress. We have been looking at all avenues of getting her music out to the public, so I was pondering on how would someone like my daughter in the beginning of her career could get her songs place on song list like Pandora.
  5. Torgeir
    October 28, 2009 at 10:36am
    Does this feature allow me to share songs with friends living outside the US?
  6. Craig
    October 28, 2009 at 10:58am
    Are these features in Pandora Desktop? I'm not finding them, and I just upgraded to the lastest version (2.0.1). Hopefully this stuff will make it to the desktop app.
  7. Jeff
    October 28, 2009 at 11:26am
    Cool, but heres what i really want: * Show the song currently playing on live messenger status (pandora one desktop) * Let me skip more than 6 on the paid service * Make a mobile device that i can buy that uses pandora one, a little hardware thing that i can use when i go running. Or at least an app that i can run on a phone.
  8. barb dybwad
    October 28, 2009 at 11:41am
    Sweet! Any chance these buttons will find their way into the Pandora One desktop app too?
  9. Derak
    October 28, 2009 at 11:53am
    My control buttons are broken in Safari now.
  10. Michael Zapruder
    October 28, 2009 at 12:37pm
    hey all - responses to your posts below - in all cases they've been passed along to the appropriate departments and people here - this kind of feedback is very helpful - thanks! @Colin - cool idea - the engineers will get your suggestion. @Jackie - glad you like :) @Lance - I'm passing your comment on to the support people here, because they are better equipped to answer you, but we add features sparingly, in the hopes that they will improve the experience of pandora - the designers and engineers put a premium on clarity and ease of use, so they will take your comment to heart. @A.E. Daniels - thanks for your interest - please find our music submission information on the FAQ at https://blog.pandora.com/faq/#31 @Torgeir - if they are on twitter or facebook, I don't see why they shouldn't see your updates - unfortunately, they still won't be able to listen, as the international licensing laws remain unchanged! :) @Craig, @Barb - at this time, there are no definite plans to add these features to the desktop app, but they are available from pandora one on the web. I've passed along your suggestions as well. @Jeff - good ideas - the engineers have them now as well. best, ---Michael (music curator)