We’ve made a handful of changes tonight at Pandora. Among these are one you can just barely see, and one you can’t see at all.
The first is a tiny (some would say almost invisible) progress indicator underneath the album art for the currently playing song to give you an idea of how much time is left in the song. It’s just a tiny little stripe. Look for it closely.
The other change is a pretty big one, but you won’t be able to see it at all. You’ll have to listen for it. We’ve updated our playlist engine to play a greater variety of music on your stations. For some time we’ve known that we weren’t playing the full breadth of songs in the Music Genome Project collection. This was a problem with our approach to playlist generation; it really didn’t have anything to do with the size of the collection itself. We’ve been hard at work on this, and tonight we’re rolling out a significant upgrade to the playlist generator. Don’t expect to notice a big change right away, in fact it might take a few hours of listening before you notice at all, but it’s there. Your stations really will be playing all kinds of music that they wouldn’t have before. Hope you enjoy the new music.
One other feature in this release that’s worth pointing out is a new choice in Guide Us: “I’m tired of this song.” Let’s face it, there are some great songs out there that we’ve all heard just one too many times. Now there’s a way to tell Pandora that you’ve heard something one too many times: just click Guide Us and select the “I’m tired of this song” choice and we’ll put the current song back on the shelf and not play it again on any of your stations in the next 30 days.
As always, this release has a number of other subtle little changes; my favorite this time out is that the songs fade out as you skip or change stations. Just another tiny little detail.

Comments

1. WillF
    March 29, 2006 at 7:42am
    Great new features! By the way, I used to listen to Launch.com (Yahoo's music site) - I get the pro version because they are my ISP. But I have found I really prefer Pandora because your system is more intelligent, and, unlike Launch, you don't mess with my music preferences (every once-in-a-while they throw in a totally unrelated song to your station -- like Rap when I wanted Jazz -- because it is popular across the board -- this really ticks me off.) I also love how I can share my favorites page. They also REALLY need that "Don't play this song for a month" feature, but they do have classical and children's music, so I do head over there once in a while still. Even with your minimal ads I think I have spent more money on CDs because of Pandora than Launch, so I think recording companies should fund you guys... :-)
  2. Mike J
    March 29, 2006 at 8:05am
    Fantastic, liking the changes! I'd still like to see an API released for making our own flash interface - is this something you guys would think about making available? Even if it has to be approved, hosted on your site, etc I think it would be a fantastic option for the flash community that loves Pandora! Also, a couple other items: 1) Would still like to see the search interface improved, including the ability to keep adding music (instead of just disappearing after an yes / no for add). 2) There seems to be a problem in Opera 9 Tech preview 2 for favorites. I try to access the page and it generates an error.
  3. Peter K
    March 29, 2006 at 12:06pm
    Pandora keeps getting better and better. It's obvious you listen.... not only to music but to your listeners. Look forward to your DC leg of the road trip.
  4. Joseph
    March 29, 2006 at 3:07pm
    Great new stuff! I suddenly noticed that songs were fading out when I skipped them and was drawn to the blog to find out what else was new. The 'don't play this song for a month' feature is great, although I would like to choose between a few different settings. Perhaps make it scalable by weeks? Thanks so much for making it easy to fall in love with new music!
  5. kenny
    March 29, 2006 at 3:29pm
    Hello ! I would like to say a big big cheer to all you guys who created this pandora system ! It really took my breath away ! (sorry for my poor english) I found your web site completely by chance and I'm all day long on it now :D Sorry if my post is not in the right section, but I wanted to express all my gratitude for making such a great application ! Greetz from switzerland ! kenny
  6. zinc
    March 29, 2006 at 3:39pm
    I don't know on whose side this would have to be done, but for what you're listening to, to appear on msn messenger (such as when using windows media player and i-tunes) would be nice. The updates are good, keep it up
  7. Alexei Rebrov
    March 29, 2006 at 3:42pm
    Hi Guys, I really enjoy work you have done and I recommend it to all my friends and link to it on my blog! I would consider some new features for nex player version. Most important for me would be abillity to attach graphical eaqvalizer profile to every station I store. It's standard pre-sets as well as freedom to customize sound as I want. 10 or 8 bands will be enough. So for my Robert Miles station I choose "electronic" and for "Don't Explain" - jazz. It will move you one step forward from competitors and add more people who still listen stand alone player what do you think?
  8. Hazel R
    March 29, 2006 at 4:01pm
    I'm liking the progress indicator! I wouldn't notice it unless you pointed it out. And I love the time-out feature. I wish I had thought of that. And awesome blog, by the way. Again, didn't really surf the site until today.
  9. Nysidra
    March 30, 2006 at 6:57am
    Thank you very much for the new changes! I noticed the fading in and out first off, and then raised an eye brow each time I saw the thumbs up sign on some of my songs. *grins* Your work is highly appreciated. I have very eclectic and varied tastes in music, something no 'run of the mill' radio station can offer. Combined with my love for finding new music makes you my favorite. Keep up the great work!
  10. Mary Pat
    March 30, 2006 at 12:32pm
    AAAGGG..I am not a reader of the blog but had to come today since I too thought I was going nuts..I didn't rember putting those thumbs up on there...not noticing the fade in and out?? Love the bar on the bottom..I tend to listen all the way though more. Thanks again Pandora..you make the work day go by smooth! :0)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )