We’ve made a handful of changes tonight at Pandora. Among these are one you can just barely see, and one you can’t see at all.
The first is a tiny (some would say almost invisible) progress indicator underneath the album art for the currently playing song to give you an idea of how much time is left in the song. It’s just a tiny little stripe. Look for it closely.
The other change is a pretty big one, but you won’t be able to see it at all. You’ll have to listen for it. We’ve updated our playlist engine to play a greater variety of music on your stations. For some time we’ve known that we weren’t playing the full breadth of songs in the Music Genome Project collection. This was a problem with our approach to playlist generation; it really didn’t have anything to do with the size of the collection itself. We’ve been hard at work on this, and tonight we’re rolling out a significant upgrade to the playlist generator. Don’t expect to notice a big change right away, in fact it might take a few hours of listening before you notice at all, but it’s there. Your stations really will be playing all kinds of music that they wouldn’t have before. Hope you enjoy the new music.
One other feature in this release that’s worth pointing out is a new choice in Guide Us: “I’m tired of this song.” Let’s face it, there are some great songs out there that we’ve all heard just one too many times. Now there’s a way to tell Pandora that you’ve heard something one too many times: just click Guide Us and select the “I’m tired of this song” choice and we’ll put the current song back on the shelf and not play it again on any of your stations in the next 30 days.
As always, this release has a number of other subtle little changes; my favorite this time out is that the songs fade out as you skip or change stations. Just another tiny little detail.

Comments

1. Chaz Davis
    March 28, 2006 at 1:32am
    If you want to really explode this let people add their stations like you can add youtube videos....second set it up where users can make a small percentage of your profits...maybe 2 cents a purchase.....Pay people to play. Use this idea please I want to get started lol Chaz Davis
  2. gidibao
    March 28, 2006 at 1:53am
    Hi! I'm gidibao from Sanremo, Italy I'm a blogger. Please, create some Referral Banners for promoting Pandora. ;-)
  3. Miraldo
    March 28, 2006 at 2:19am
    That's great news! Thanks for the great music and your good support. Keep it up!
  4. Jake
    March 28, 2006 at 3:03am
    Great Site! I listen to Pandora all day at work. Keep up the great work!
  5. Lewis
    March 28, 2006 at 4:36am
    I love the "I'm tired of this song" option. That is a great idea! I'm excited to hear some new stuff, too. Keep up the great work!
  6. Joe
    March 28, 2006 at 5:29am
    Wow thats awsome, thank you for all your hard work. i wanted to suggest the time left thing, but you beat me to it. thanks again and keep on with the good work.
  7. letti
    March 28, 2006 at 6:24am
    thanks guys for all that you're doing. I listen to Pandora almost all the time when I'm at my computer and love love love the selections. I'm Asian and for sure would love for there to be more international selections, but what can i say, I am more than grateful for what you guys have compiled so far, which is absolutely mind blowing. Oh, and the changes, though subtle, are wonderful. Great Job and thank you once again.
  8. Sven
    March 28, 2006 at 6:41am
    I like the feature; "I'm tired of this song"! You should also add it to the popup (left-klick on the album) since I (and most others?) rather use it because it's the quickest way to skip ahead. Keep up the good work! Greetings from Visby, Sweden.
  9. Steve Forman
    March 28, 2006 at 6:54am
    Hey, thanks for the time line. This little thing helps me make a decision as to whether to skip a song, or just let it play out. Pandora keeps getting better and better. Steve
  10. Allen
    March 28, 2006 at 7:34am
    I just noticed the fade-out addition, though "Boy, I don't remember that . . ." and checked the blog, sure enough -- some updates were made -- as usually, subtle but excellent changes. The progress meter is a great little addition. I'd never have noticed it without reading this, but once aware of its existence it's just right. That said, a little notification within Pandora that pops up to let us know of updates the first time it's run after the update would be a welcome addition. Also, is there anyway to un-tire of a song? If not, that might be a nice addition -- I might be tired of it now, but in a week or two I might wish I wasn't abstaining for an entire month!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )