UPDATE: July 10, 2008. We see from the comments that many of you want Pandora on the iPhone. It’s available now — enjoy!

Lots swirling around in the blogosphere today after our Pandora Everywhere announcements last night. The one element of last night’s event that I didn’t blog about here is the prototype connected media player we showed at the end of the night.
There’s been some confusion about just what we showed last night and I thought I’d post a couple of photos and give you the direct scoop.
Here’s roughly what I said at the event:

“Looking into the crystal ball a bit, there are two changes on the horizon that we’re really excited about and those are Muni WiFi which has the potential to bring ubiquitous WiFi coverage to urban centers and WiMax which has the potential to blanket the country in a high speed network that you can access at 60 miles per hour in the middle of nowhere. While these technologies aren’t here today, they are fast approaching — Sprint alone is making a billion dollar investment in WiMax services.
One of the most interesting startups in the bay area right now is a company called Zing. They’re building a really cool platform that enables WiFi connected media players. They’re the company behind the new WiFi-connected Sansa Connect media player.
Three weeks ago when we started preparing for tonight, I called the team at Zing and asked if they’d be willing to take the Pandora Everywhere Platform and work with us to quickly develop a technology demo of Pandora running on a WiFi connected device. Here we are three weeks later and I’ve got something very cool to show you.
This is a handmade prototype of a WiFi connect Pandora media player. I should caution at this point that this is a tech demo only — there are lots of things that need to fall into place before something like this could be brought to market, not the least of which is we need ubiquitous WiFi access.
The really cool things about this prototype is that it was just three weeks in the making. the Pandora Everywhere Platform is going to let us bring Pandora to all kinds of places that you just can’t reach with a website alone.”

Some important things to note about all of this:

• It was just a technology demo; it really wasn’t a product announcement
  • It was built by Zing and Pandora – SanDisk wasn’t involved in any way
  • Pandora has no plans to bring a Pandora-specific device to market

I’m not being coy here. This isn’t a “wink-wink-nudge-nudge it was just a demo” kind of thing. It really was just a demo. We’re excited to find out where this may lead, but it’s still very early days. As I said last night, this all came together just 3 weeks ago. We’re certainly not desperately racing off to do direct battle with the iPod. As has been observed in other quarters, that would be a strategy to approach with great caution.
As cool as the Zing/Pandora demo is, the real news last night was Pandora for Sprint and Pandora for Sonos. Both are available now and are quite real.
device.png

Comments

1. Jay D
    June 05, 2008 at 12:33pm
    I would LOVE to see an iPhone and Pandora mesh... my iPhone neeeeds it.
  2. wassup
    June 17, 2008 at 5:20pm
    I wonder if Pandora things making it available on Iphone takes away some of the incentive to buy songs. I'd pay $5 a month, more than they're making off the zero songs I've bought. ;)
  3. Kitty
    June 24, 2008 at 11:37pm
    I do not like iPods. I don't like the fact that using one would require me to convert my entire digital music library to Apple's proprietary file format, and to use their clunky media player/music service. I do not like AT&T. Everyone I've spoken to who has used their service has had very little good to say about them, and their network's coverage is piss-poor in my home town. I love Pandora. I've found more great music through Pandora in the last year than I had previously found throughout my entire life without it. Those things in mind, if Pandora were to port its service to the iPhone (or even better, to the iPod Touch), I would relent my predisposition, convert my music to Apple's format, break down, and buy it. It's simply to amazing a prospect to pass up. Hell, I would consider buying an iPhone or iPod Touch for the implicit purpose of using Pandora and nothing else, continuing to use my previous cell phone or MP3 player, respectively. Pandora really means that much to me, and to be able to take it mobile would make my digital music life, as I'm sure it would for many, many others.
  4. bradrogersau
    June 25, 2008 at 6:12pm
    I'm about to sign up for a subscription to Pandora...getting a Squeezbox. Would love to have the greatest thing that's happened to music in this decade on my iPhone. Put me down for Pandora iPhone interface. I'd even pay for the app on the new apple app store!
  5. ia
    June 26, 2008 at 3:13pm
    +100 for pandora on iPhone!!!!! Please!!!
  6. Graham Kaplan
    June 30, 2008 at 9:56pm
    Really hope you're working on Pandora for the iPhone! Last.fm is!
  7. Sullivan
    July 01, 2008 at 7:21am
    Pandora is sick. I love it. But here I am, technilogically inept and am wondering, is the reason Pandora doesn't work on the iPod touch/iPhone because regular WiFi won't support it? Why is that? Thanks for acting on an awesome idea and creating an awesome site. Love always.
  8. joe
    July 02, 2008 at 5:41pm
    IPHONE
  9. Greg
    July 03, 2008 at 3:38pm
    definitely need pandora for the iphone. you got my vote.
  10. Brett
    July 07, 2008 at 3:13pm
    Doubt you will get pandora on the iPhone(For free that is), with the unlimited data plan AT&T will see a loss of revenue some how...

Reply to Dave Cancel Reply