desktop.jpg
When you start building something like Pandora you quickly realize there’s going to be a bunch of things that you’d love to do from day one that will have to wait for a later date. We have a long list like that and one staple of that list for the last 4 years has been an upgraded version of Pandora for listeners who want more features, better audio quality, and other things that we just can’t do in the advertising-supported free version of the product. Well, the day has finally come when we can cross this one off our list.
Introducing Pandora One.
For $36/year we’ll upgrade you and enhance your experience with these new features:
* High Quality Streaming: When listening on the web, experience 192K bits per second audio. That’s the highest quality streaming experience on the Internet. More bits means better sounding music.
* Pandora One Desktop: Listen to Pandora from a dedicated desktop application; no need to keep a browser window open. Control playback from the Windows taskbar or the Macintosh dock. Get popup alerts when a new song starts to play. This is the ultimate Pandora experience: simple, efficient, pure.
* No Ads: Pandora One is completely free of any sort of advertising: no audio ads, no visual ads. It’s just you and your music.
* Personalize Your Look: Surround the Pandora player with one of 8 custom “skins” that will make the look of Pandora as personalized as the music.
* Mini Player: Minimize Pandora One into the smallest possible browser window. This makes it easy for the web version of Pandora to live side by side with other web sites and applications.
* Skip All Day Long: With the standard ad supported version of Pandora you’re limited to 12 total skips per day. With Pandora One you’ll be able to skip as many times per day as you’d like (note you will still be limited, thanks to licensing constraints, to six skips per hour).
* Extended Interaction Timeout: Listen for up to 5 hours in a row without interacting with Pandora at all. Just turn it on and let it go. Every time you interact the timer is reset so just one click around lunchtime can get you through an entire workday.
So that’s Pandora One. The highest quality audio. Pandora One Desktop. No Ads. More features. No limits. As with everything we do, we’re very interested in hearing your feedback. Drop us an email or a comment here to share your thoughts. Your feedback will help shape future versions of Pandora One. This is just the beginning.
Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: If you had previously subscribed to Pandora to avoid advertising, we’ve upgraded your account to Pandora One status for free. Welcome!

Comments

1. Dan
    February 09, 2011 at 12:26pm
    Very nice sound quality. Keep up the good work! Dan
  2. TJ
    February 12, 2011 at 4:29pm
    So how come the Pandora One option is not available on the iphone? My girlfriend bought me it for my computer, but I listen to Pandora more often on my iphone and I think those options should be equally available on the phone app.
  3. mia
    February 13, 2011 at 9:38pm
    Thanks for the free listening and 99 cent option for 'extra' listening! I'm a big fan ; )
  4. Rourke McNamara
    February 19, 2011 at 5:52pm
    I tried out Pandora One and quickly discovered that you don't get the 192kbps streams on devices other than a computer -- I rarely use Pandora from my laptop, but often use it via my Denon receiver or my iPhone. I'm happy to pay the $36/yr once the higher quality stream is supported on those devices, but not until then.
  5. radish
    February 23, 2011 at 9:22am
    I've been using Pandora One for over a year now and would absolutely love to see some updates to the app. Global Hotkeys is my number one want. Also, being able to unthumb songs would be excellent. I feel like these are small requests (being requested over and over in these comments) and that support for the app is non existent even though people are shelling out the money. Where is the support?!
  6. Rich Fitz
    February 23, 2011 at 12:14pm
    @ Tom Conrad just want to say I have the free app on my iPhone 4 and absolutely love it!!!! I'm thinking of purchasing Pandora One for my iPhone and probably will but I'm curious if I would be able to keep my saved favorites and stations? I'm also curious if I would be able to save more then just 100 artists radio stations because I love so much and find new ones that I love and like to find more through them? And will I be able to repeat a song that I just listened to? So any info would be great thanks so much Pandora has changed my life and my listening pleasure!!!! Rich
  7. calvin
    February 23, 2011 at 3:03pm
    Am i limited to installing pandora on just one computer? I have a desktop and two laptops.
  8. Mr. B
    February 26, 2011 at 6:10am
    I agree with several previous posts; I want to throw my money at you so I can listen to Pandora in 192kbps on my LG BD590 blu-ray/media player. I run an optical digital connection to my Arcam AVR300 and have some very revealing speakers. I find that the 128kbps stream, while hugely better than the 64kbps stream, still has many compression artifacts and lacks the ambiance, wide soundstage, dynamic range, and presence that a 192kbps stream would have. If you enable devices like my LG BD590 to play the upgraded stream, I will throw my money at you in a hurry. I would actually listen to more Mono, Diana Krall, et al if the audio quality were better. Having Diana's 'Live In Paris' CD & DVD, as well as most of her albums on CD, it's VERY difficult for me to make the transition to listening to the same material in a highly compressed (and basically passionless/lifeless) form. The other added features, while very nice, do not appeal to me. I know you guys are busy, but if you enable the better audio quality, you will see droves of PAYING customers from sites like AVSForum, Audioholics, etc. People who chat about all the $$$ they have spent/are going to spend on stereo equipment wouldn't think twice about $36 a year for 192kbps streamed audio that has been encoded well on the front end (and your reference audio is definitely encoded well). Keep up the great work.
  9. Green Tea Weight loss
    March 03, 2011 at 2:25am
    A few suggestions for the Pandora One desktop app: (some can be seen today in the OpenPandora app) 1. Indicate which station this song came from when in Quick Mix mode. 2. The ability to edit the Quick Mix station from the Pandora One interface. 3. I second all the requests for weights in the Quick Mix "mixing". Thanks for a great service! green-weightlosstea.blogspot.com
  10. OCX
    March 05, 2011 at 6:33pm
    Been using pandora one for the past few months and have nothing but fantastic things to say about it. Keep up the good work!