desktop.jpg
When you start building something like Pandora you quickly realize there’s going to be a bunch of things that you’d love to do from day one that will have to wait for a later date. We have a long list like that and one staple of that list for the last 4 years has been an upgraded version of Pandora for listeners who want more features, better audio quality, and other things that we just can’t do in the advertising-supported free version of the product. Well, the day has finally come when we can cross this one off our list.
Introducing Pandora One.
For $36/year we’ll upgrade you and enhance your experience with these new features:
* High Quality Streaming: When listening on the web, experience 192K bits per second audio. That’s the highest quality streaming experience on the Internet. More bits means better sounding music.
* Pandora One Desktop: Listen to Pandora from a dedicated desktop application; no need to keep a browser window open. Control playback from the Windows taskbar or the Macintosh dock. Get popup alerts when a new song starts to play. This is the ultimate Pandora experience: simple, efficient, pure.
* No Ads: Pandora One is completely free of any sort of advertising: no audio ads, no visual ads. It’s just you and your music.
* Personalize Your Look: Surround the Pandora player with one of 8 custom “skins” that will make the look of Pandora as personalized as the music.
* Mini Player: Minimize Pandora One into the smallest possible browser window. This makes it easy for the web version of Pandora to live side by side with other web sites and applications.
* Skip All Day Long: With the standard ad supported version of Pandora you’re limited to 12 total skips per day. With Pandora One you’ll be able to skip as many times per day as you’d like (note you will still be limited, thanks to licensing constraints, to six skips per hour).
* Extended Interaction Timeout: Listen for up to 5 hours in a row without interacting with Pandora at all. Just turn it on and let it go. Every time you interact the timer is reset so just one click around lunchtime can get you through an entire workday.
So that’s Pandora One. The highest quality audio. Pandora One Desktop. No Ads. More features. No limits. As with everything we do, we’re very interested in hearing your feedback. Drop us an email or a comment here to share your thoughts. Your feedback will help shape future versions of Pandora One. This is just the beginning.
Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: If you had previously subscribed to Pandora to avoid advertising, we’ve upgraded your account to Pandora One status for free. Welcome!

Comments

1. Mark
    January 06, 2011 at 10:40pm
    Hi there guys; Someone may have asked this already so feel free to scold me if so, but if I were to pay for Pandora One would I be able to experience the benefits on the Android version of Pandora? (No ads, better audio quality -- if it could support it, etc)
  2. Aaron
    January 15, 2011 at 2:05pm
    Can i cancell pandora one i bought only so i could skip as many times as possible and well i cant
  3. Alia
    January 17, 2011 at 5:54am
    Hello friends,this is a nice site and I wanted to post a note to let you know, good job! Thanks Best regards, Natali, CEO of iso burner
  4. Thad
    January 18, 2011 at 3:51pm
    Another vote for higher quality on iPhone (obviously 192 might only be for wifi, but still a higher quality for 3G connections, maybe adaptive to signal). I only started listening heavily a few weeks ago and decided that getting rid of the background hisses and noise was worth $36 to me. I entered all the payment info and was honestly about to hit pay when I suddenly thought just to be safe I should make sure that it'll sound better on my iPhone (95% of my listening) and found this thread. I'm enjoying Pandora quite a bit so far but I think that there'd be a lot of people interested in better quality sound on their iPods/iPhones. To put my money where my mouth is I'll pay the upgrade to show my support and hope that you're working on it!
  5. roman
    January 21, 2011 at 5:21pm
    i want music
  6. Mark
    January 25, 2011 at 6:37pm
    If you're new to Pandora you can get a free 3-day trial of Pandora One here: http://techblog.willshouse.com/2011/01/06/pandora-one-3-day-free-trial/
  7. srsairbags
    February 03, 2011 at 11:08am
    listening to pandora one for about 3 months now . . its worth the 3$ per month . . the bitrate really makes a difference . . and i just leave my ps3 browser on pandora one the whole time . . . sound is crystal
  8. Jssgarden
    February 09, 2011 at 12:21am
    I love Pandora, but i often listen to Pandora on my iPod rather than my laptop. I will buy Pandora One when you upgrade the sound quality for Pandora One on iPhone as well. For now $36 is a little to much just to get rid of the ads.
  9. Jssgarden
    February 09, 2011 at 12:34am
    i have just bought Pandora One because i love you guys and think you deserve my support. But as a college student $36 is not a small amount of money for me, like i said above i really hope you guys work on the sound quality for the iPhone and iPod so i would feel that my money was worth it. I don't mind the 6 skipping limit but please work on the sound quality for iPhone. that's all i ask for. Thanks
  10. Ben
    February 09, 2011 at 10:47am
    I have a couple of suggestions that I think would make the user experience better and would bring more money to Pandora. First off, currently when I give something a thumbs up it is permanent. Sometimes I have clicked it by accident or I'm just tired of the song. I would like to be able to unthumb without have to give it a thumbs down. Also sometimes I give something a thumbs down and then I can't change it. 2. Currently on the Android App you are not able to view the previous songs played so that I can rate them. Will there be an update in the future so I can look an previously played songs just like on do on the web browser version of pandora? 3. Assuming you are getting paid when someone buys a song or album that is link through pandora.com, it would be great if instead of having to remember to bookmark a song when I am interested in buying it, if instead Pandora also tracked that last 50 or so song played so I could go back and check them out if I couldn't bookmark them. Also if I am still able to give the songs thumbs up or thumbs down even after I have log out and then signed back in that would be great. This applies to one of my first point where I may want to change the thumbs up/down rating I may have given a song initially. Lastly this is just comment that may be worth telling users of Pandora. I used to give thumbs up to everything I enjoyed but I found that after a while I had given so many thumbs up, new music was rarely introduced. I created much better stations by just giving thumbs down to songs I didn't like and never gave any thumbs up thus maintaining a diverse playlist. Thoughts? Thanks.