desktop.jpg
When you start building something like Pandora you quickly realize there’s going to be a bunch of things that you’d love to do from day one that will have to wait for a later date. We have a long list like that and one staple of that list for the last 4 years has been an upgraded version of Pandora for listeners who want more features, better audio quality, and other things that we just can’t do in the advertising-supported free version of the product. Well, the day has finally come when we can cross this one off our list.
Introducing Pandora One.
For $36/year we’ll upgrade you and enhance your experience with these new features:
* High Quality Streaming: When listening on the web, experience 192K bits per second audio. That’s the highest quality streaming experience on the Internet. More bits means better sounding music.
* Pandora One Desktop: Listen to Pandora from a dedicated desktop application; no need to keep a browser window open. Control playback from the Windows taskbar or the Macintosh dock. Get popup alerts when a new song starts to play. This is the ultimate Pandora experience: simple, efficient, pure.
* No Ads: Pandora One is completely free of any sort of advertising: no audio ads, no visual ads. It’s just you and your music.
* Personalize Your Look: Surround the Pandora player with one of 8 custom “skins” that will make the look of Pandora as personalized as the music.
* Mini Player: Minimize Pandora One into the smallest possible browser window. This makes it easy for the web version of Pandora to live side by side with other web sites and applications.
* Skip All Day Long: With the standard ad supported version of Pandora you’re limited to 12 total skips per day. With Pandora One you’ll be able to skip as many times per day as you’d like (note you will still be limited, thanks to licensing constraints, to six skips per hour).
* Extended Interaction Timeout: Listen for up to 5 hours in a row without interacting with Pandora at all. Just turn it on and let it go. Every time you interact the timer is reset so just one click around lunchtime can get you through an entire workday.
So that’s Pandora One. The highest quality audio. Pandora One Desktop. No Ads. More features. No limits. As with everything we do, we’re very interested in hearing your feedback. Drop us an email or a comment here to share your thoughts. Your feedback will help shape future versions of Pandora One. This is just the beginning.
Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: If you had previously subscribed to Pandora to avoid advertising, we’ve upgraded your account to Pandora One status for free. Welcome!

Comments

1. Gene
    December 04, 2010 at 10:17am
    I'm not sure if there's anything like it out there, but I'd really like the Pandora One application to be able to minimize to a 'mini-player' that stays in my taskbar so I can easily next, thumbs up, thumbs down a song, etc. Other music players have this feature, I'm sure its not prohibitively difficult to put it. Also, global hotkeys would be really nice, maybe support for keyboard with pause/next media buttons (and maybe support for keyboards with LCD screens). As for people disliking the pandora one 6-skip hour-limit, this is only per station. You can make two stations with similar music tastes and listen to station 2 when station 1 runs out of skips for the hour. No big deal.
  2. dave
    December 09, 2010 at 7:18pm
    it's effin amazing how ingratiated and downright arrogant some people have become. Frankly, the way some of the commentators have scoffed at the way Pandora does things is just amazing. I'm using it on my Palm Pixi and will be upgrading to Pandora One tomorrow morning, right before I leave for work, so I know I won't run out of time! Thanks for the many free hours, but I'm now very happy to pay the measly 36/annually.. thanks Pandora!
  3. Jeff
    December 17, 2010 at 7:34pm
    If we buy Pandora One subscription, will we get a higher quality bit rate on an Android phone? Today, plugged into my truck it just sounds terrible :(
  4. Totti
    December 26, 2010 at 11:19pm
    PANDORA ONE IS THE WORST GIFT I'VE EVER RECEIVED FOR CHRISTMAS! $36 for no ads...Hey sometimes I like some ads every once and awhile...It makes me chuckle.
  5. Peter Truitt
    December 28, 2010 at 5:57pm
    The annual fee for Pandora is entirely worth it. I am thoroughly enjoying the music. I have a home network and various audio devices. I would like the stream to go to multiple devices simultaneously. I realize that this is probably not a Pandora functionality, but is there a recommendation utilizing software and/or hardware?
  6. Lewis T
    December 30, 2010 at 11:34am
    I am in the US Navy and currently stationed in sunny San Diego California. For Christmas my wife purchased a subsription to Pandora One for me (greatest gift ever) but I will be transferred to Italy around July 2011. Will I still be able to use my account while stationed overseas?
  7. Jerri
    December 30, 2010 at 1:46pm
    If I upgrade to Pandora One, will the enhanced service play thru on my Blackberry? Or do I have to upgrade on the mobile app?
  8. miguel
    December 31, 2010 at 4:10pm
    I upgraded my pandora and it dosent let me skip as much as i want it only letsz me skip once an hour,and you guys said that the audio will sound better and its the same.please get back at me,so i can see what's going on with this upgrade. thank you-miguel delpilar
  9. Russ P.
    January 01, 2011 at 6:08pm
    Another Pandora One member here pleading for 192 Kb on Logitech Squeezeboxes!! I know Pandora is a small outfit but PLEASE re-engineer the API to provide the Logitech music players your 192 Kb stream. Thanks and Happy New Year!
  10. Ben
    January 04, 2011 at 12:52pm
    Paid for pandora one, (been hoping to help support your efforts when my budget would permit, yet, got tired of waiting and splurged on it anyways.) Always loved pandora, ok now that that's out of the way, I'm also curious. will there be a Pandora One app for the payers? it requires a login anyways.. or maybe update the original app for droid etc... to automatically pop extra options when you login with a pandora one account? There's a pandora in my pocket! -Ben