desktop.jpg
When you start building something like Pandora you quickly realize there’s going to be a bunch of things that you’d love to do from day one that will have to wait for a later date. We have a long list like that and one staple of that list for the last 4 years has been an upgraded version of Pandora for listeners who want more features, better audio quality, and other things that we just can’t do in the advertising-supported free version of the product. Well, the day has finally come when we can cross this one off our list.
Introducing Pandora One.
For $36/year we’ll upgrade you and enhance your experience with these new features:
* High Quality Streaming: When listening on the web, experience 192K bits per second audio. That’s the highest quality streaming experience on the Internet. More bits means better sounding music.
* Pandora One Desktop: Listen to Pandora from a dedicated desktop application; no need to keep a browser window open. Control playback from the Windows taskbar or the Macintosh dock. Get popup alerts when a new song starts to play. This is the ultimate Pandora experience: simple, efficient, pure.
* No Ads: Pandora One is completely free of any sort of advertising: no audio ads, no visual ads. It’s just you and your music.
* Personalize Your Look: Surround the Pandora player with one of 8 custom “skins” that will make the look of Pandora as personalized as the music.
* Mini Player: Minimize Pandora One into the smallest possible browser window. This makes it easy for the web version of Pandora to live side by side with other web sites and applications.
* Skip All Day Long: With the standard ad supported version of Pandora you’re limited to 12 total skips per day. With Pandora One you’ll be able to skip as many times per day as you’d like (note you will still be limited, thanks to licensing constraints, to six skips per hour).
* Extended Interaction Timeout: Listen for up to 5 hours in a row without interacting with Pandora at all. Just turn it on and let it go. Every time you interact the timer is reset so just one click around lunchtime can get you through an entire workday.
So that’s Pandora One. The highest quality audio. Pandora One Desktop. No Ads. More features. No limits. As with everything we do, we’re very interested in hearing your feedback. Drop us an email or a comment here to share your thoughts. Your feedback will help shape future versions of Pandora One. This is just the beginning.
Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: If you had previously subscribed to Pandora to avoid advertising, we’ve upgraded your account to Pandora One status for free. Welcome!

Comments

1. Greg
    May 20, 2009 at 5:30am
    So the Mini Player that used to be a available to all users now requires a subscription to use? That doesn't quite fit the "bunch of things that you'd love to do from day one that will have to wait for a later date" label seeing as it's been an option for at least a year already.
  2. Alan M.
    May 20, 2009 at 6:21am
    Someone ought to capture the email exchange (above) between CTO Tom Conrad & Roman. It's a thing of beauty: The customer starts off incredibly disgruntled, but is very articulate about what's annoying him. The CTO replies respectfully & with useful information. Customer comes back with sensible recommendations for improvements. CTO points out legal hurdles. Customer suggests maybe he'd consider trying the new application if there was a trial period. CTO says he'll consider it. ... I rarely use Pandora, but I found this exchange inspiring. No kidding. Thanks.
  3. Gubbi
    May 20, 2009 at 6:33am
    Hi, I had been a Pandora user once upon a time when it was available worldwide. Any chance I can access Pandora by subscribing to Pandora One? From India, Gubbi.
  4. Jon
    May 20, 2009 at 6:43am
    Hi - I like the desktop app and the sound quality is fab. It would be good to have a "sort by genre" function similar to the full player to make the full list of stations easier to navigate, but maybe that's getting too complicated for a mini player. Cheers, Jon
  5. Norman Creaney
    May 20, 2009 at 7:11am
    Any update for UK (wannabe) listeners?
  6. Jen
    May 20, 2009 at 7:18am
    The hours and hours of countless entertainment my colleague and I get from Pandora is priceless. There's just no way I can possibly not pay you for all the laughter and happiness you've brought into our lives. I'll be purchasing Pandora One very soon. Keep the innovations coming. You get Pandora on my G1 and I'll never look at another radio again. =D
  7. Daniel
    May 20, 2009 at 7:29am
    I was content with the pop-out player on the main page. Sadly, that feature appears to have been removed. Thank you and goodbye.
  8. Mestafais
    May 20, 2009 at 7:35am
    Now that is a paid service... doesn't it fit in a different category somehow that is possible to open the service to users outside the US?
  9. Gareth Lewin
    May 20, 2009 at 7:43am
    I live in Canada. I used to pay for your no adverts account, years ago. This sounds excellent, and as soon as you work out the legalese, I hope to be able to use it here :)
  10. Danny
    May 20, 2009 at 7:46am
    Hello. I'm trying to run it in Ubuntu. I've installed Air and the Pandora Air app successfully, but I don't know what to do after that to make it run?