I’m pleased to announce that we’ve released version 2.0 of the Pandora One desktop app. You’ve been telling us that the desktop app is one of your favorite features of Pandora One and it’s great to have the chance to begin the process of refining that experience.
With this release we’ve tried to keep the interface very simple while adding several of the most-requested features:
* You can now view your song history. Just click on the album art to reveal arrows to navigate through the last hour of your playlist. Thumb up (or down) or buy any song that played in the last hour.
* We’ve added a progress bar. Want to know how much is left to play of the current track? Just click the album art to reveal the time elapsed and remaining for the current track.
* Windows users can hover over the system tray icon to see the name of the currently playing artist and song.
* The app remembers where you placed it on your desktop and how loud you like your music. The next time you start it, it’s right where you left it.
* Song transitions have been sped up so you don’t need to wait long for a thumbs down to get rid of the current song.
Our goal is to continue to improve Pandora One over time. Hope you enjoy this first little step in that evolution.

Comments

1. kaill
    November 27, 2009 at 11:09am
    so what did they fix or change with 2.0.1? for the desktop app.
  2. drew
    June 29, 2010 at 9:56am
    We have downloaded the pandora one app and when we set it to quick mix it only plays rap. Is their a update available? We are running 2.0.1.
  3. Ryan, Pandora Support
    June 29, 2010 at 6:24pm
    @drew -- It sounds like you may have only selected rap stations to be included in your QuickMix. For more information on how to select which stations for your QuickMix, see this entry on our FAQ: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/483.html
  4. Seth
    July 30, 2010 at 1:41pm
    Are there any plans for hotkey support? Fiddling with OpenPandora just to keep it working while I'm paying for Pandora One is irritating but hotkeys are a necessity for me.
  5. Eric
    August 30, 2010 at 3:49pm
    I just bought it, and its worth One for the quality alone! My only wish is the ability to add variety without needing to go into my browser. Keep up the good work pandora, been with you for years.
  6. Brian
    September 29, 2010 at 9:52am
    Is there a way to keep Pandora ONe subscription player always on top of other apps on the desktop?
    1. Kyle
      October 30, 2013 at 12:55pm
      Years later, I'm still finding myself wanting for this very simple-to-code feature and wondering why the hell it isn't an option.
  7. FalconFour
    October 13, 2010 at 6:28am
    Pandora desktop app is nice, but is still rather buggy and lacking in a few areas: First, and most importantly, the Pause function. Fine for "pausing", but when the pause function needs to replace the lack of a "stop" button, it becomes VERY problematic. Since there is no Stop in Pandora, the only thing I can do when I want to turn the music off for the night is "pause" then go to sleep (or close the program, but we'll get to that in a minute). When the computer wakes up the next morning, it's still paused on the last song - big woops. Obviously the data connection is long gone after an overnight pause. But who does it blame when it lost the connection to the server overnight during the pause? It blames my computer, saying, and I lol: "Your computer is having trouble connecting to the network". Oh, is it really? Because the moment I hit Retry, it works fine. It just lost the connection because it had been paused for too long... it should be smart enough to detect that during play and move on. Now about that "close" thing. The default option for the close button is, infuriatingly, to simply hide itself in the tray (I HATE app windows that hide in the tray! Ugh, I really do! Piss on people suggesting putting it in the tray, nothing is more irritating th--... er, /rant). So what happens when you pause the music and close it? It hides itself. Paused. So, when Pandora isn't open, what do you do? Double click it. But it's already hiding in the tray. So it brings itself back up, paused. "Play". It plays the next minute or so of buffered song, then again places the blame on your shoddy computer for "having trouble" connecting to the network. Huh? Plus, application-level volume control is a burden to society that really needs to be abolished. We've already got about 10 different volume controls at any given moment: application, system, speakers, and who knows what in between. Having an application-level volume control is just a waste of code, as any familiar computer user would be shoving app volume to max and using the volume keys on the keyboard or buttons on the speaker. And speaking of keys, there's another thing that could use improvement: global (optional) support for the ubiquitous and well-documented multimedia function keys. Look at the top of your keyboard, chances are you've got some. They should be supported by anything claiming to be a "music player" (globally! if I have to switch back to the application itself, I might as well be clicking the controls instead, right?). Would be nice to have. Just a few cents of "things that would make Pandora desktop infinitely better".
    1. James Walton
      July 17, 2013 at 4:59pm
      +1 to most of these points. Pause vs. Stop - I agree, and find the same issue on the mobile app. However, I notice that in the mobile app, if I pause and close the app, it completely closes and it effectively becomes a Stop. Recovery from loss of connectivity - I also agree with this. Why not make the connection renegotiation transparent to the user? So what if the connection was terminated? Just re-connect and pick up the song where it left off. I also find this to be an issue in the mobile app, although in nearly every release of the mobile app since about version 2.0 losing network connection is as likely to crash the app as pop an error. Latest version is not as bad, but in patchy connection areas I still get the app crashing fairly consistently. App hiding on Close - Here I will disagree. In my use, and probably with many others, we don't really want to get rid of Pandora, but we need to get it out of the way in a hurry (we're listening at work, reasons are endless.) When the app goes into the system tray Paused, it is completely out of the way but we can bring it back exactly the way it was when we were interrupted in our listening. I think it's a fantastic feature. To actually exit the app, right clicking on the system tray icon and clicking Exit will do the trick. One change I'd like to see is larger minimize and close buttons. I'd also be happy with minimizing to the system tray and closing actually exiting the program. Media buttons - Absolutely. No reason why this shouldn't be supported, and would make the minimize/hide/exit argument moot. Independent Volume - I disagree here because if I'm using sound for more than one purpose, it is incredibly handy to have independent controls. I need my system volume high so I hear alerts for incoming messages, emails, etc but I need to be able to have my music volume lower to 1) not disturb coworkers and 2) not drown out my other programs/sounds. Another related point is that there is no equalizer for P1. Most of us that have P1 are audiophiles and we like our music to sound a certain way. Similar to independent volume, I don't necessarily want all my sounds to be equalized the same as my music. It would also be awesome to be able to tweak it for differences in system speakers, external speakers, and headphones. In another post, I commented I'd like to see integration into standard music players, and that would solve most/all of the last 3 points.. Buffering - I would like to see the entire song buffered. Perhaps this isn't realistic for the free version, but for P1 why not? We're paying for a premium service and when using the desktop app we've got an internet connection that will support downloading the entire song in a few seconds. PLEASE buffer the whole song. My biggest pet peeve is getting into a song I really like and having it cut out halfway through because the connection was lost or timed out. As an extension of this, I'd like to see the first bit of the next song buffered right away so skipping a track doesn't mean such a long pause. I know this has been improved, but I would expect the delay could be eliminated in most cases.
  8. tim
    February 14, 2011 at 10:30am
    ok no improvements since 2009 and a hundred commments. Have you guys learned that Pandora is NOT listening?
  9. Misty
    March 02, 2011 at 9:31pm
    Can you please add some way to disable the pop-up that appears at every song change with the desktop application? I don't need to know the very instant the new song plays, if I'm curious, I'll open up the window to read it. It never fails, just as I'm trying to click something on my work or application, the pop-up appears and I end up clicking it and closing what I was working on.
  10. abababaabab
    March 31, 2011 at 2:02pm
    try to adjust your Growl notifications