You may be surprised at how many Pandora listeners there are who are over 70 years old. Some of them are using the internet daily, so put away your stereotypes! There are other older listeners who are using the internet solely for listening to music via Pandora, having been turned on to it by a relative or friend.
More than one listener over 70 has written in to tell us that while listening to Pandora they’re actually getting up to dance to their old favorites such as Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry, remembering doing The Twist, The Jitterbug and The Bunny Hop.
jitterbug.jpg
Hollywood Palladium, 1940
Last week a gentleman wrote in to tell us that he’s 82, and that his Benny Goodman and his Tommy Dorsey stations remind him of his teenage years, dancing at the Hollywood Palladium in the 1940s. (Entry fee: 50 cents.) Another woman, 71, listens to music from her college days on Pandora on a laptop, in bed. She likes the trip down memory lane listening to Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, and Louis Armstrong. The internet is sometimes thought of as a young person’s game, but we’re finding that love of music draws listeners of all ages.

Comments

1. Neal
    October 17, 2006 at 6:53am
    Add me to the 80 somethings who depend on Pandora for the good music of our youth. My Big Band station takes me back to the Aragon in Chicago, The Glen Island Casino, and Frank Daly's Meadowbrook. They were all on the radio. Remember radio? TV without the picture.
  2. silverhorn
    October 17, 2006 at 8:56am
    And I thought I was the oldest at 49! You guys should feel good about creating a space for all age music lovers... kudos my friends!
  3. superk
    October 19, 2006 at 8:15am
    wow! this is incredible! senior citizens really rock sometimes :) i saw that there were meet-ups in Indiana and other American towns. fo you know if there are any planned in Quebec? I've been spreading the word in my entourage, but would be nice to meet other people, too.
  4. JMG
    October 20, 2006 at 4:02pm
    Just letting you know the baby boomers are represented on Pandora. I'm 57 and building stations of great music from the 1930's through today.
  5. moonhead
    October 21, 2006 at 7:16am
    Music *is* age transcending. One of the biggest problems in the music industry today is the need to categorize or box in music/artists and fans. I listen to all kinds of music and appreciate artistry in all genres. This is one area where age truly is irrelevant.
  6. Richard Gross
    October 23, 2006 at 12:15am
    Good God, I'm almost there (soon to be 47) and it's good to know that technology will help ease the inevitable descent into nothingness, which I accept as our unavoidable fate. Technology and of course, pharmaceuticals.
  7. Lucia @ Pandora
    October 23, 2006 at 11:39am
    Better living through music, technology, and pharmaceuticals, eh?
  8. John
    November 01, 2006 at 2:30pm
    Hey Guy's...!! I think it's marvelous, that something like this has come along..!! Just to think, I stumbled on it looking for WBGO FM.. Although, I took you to task with my reqests,you really met the challenge..!! I'm still looking for Ayako Shirasaki, Incidentally, she'll be appearing with Marian McPartland on WBGO FM 11/16 @ 6:30P EST.. So check her out..!! PEACE...!!
  9. Genie
    November 02, 2006 at 11:38am
    I'm having a great time listening to Pandora. I would like to know if, in the future, you would add a search for not only artists and songs, but genres, such as Soft Rock, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Big Band, Classic Rock, Eclectic, Punk, etc. I think this type of search would be much more helpful in finding the songs/music one prefers. Thank you.
  10. Hattie
    November 02, 2006 at 5:25pm
    I am a 70 yr old devotee of bluegrass. Thank you for playing all my old time favorites. Bergen Co NJ