pre.jpgOne of the great things about my job is that every once and a while I get to see some cool new phone or gadget before its been announced or released. Back in December 08, the team at Palm invited us to come to their offices in Sunnyvale for a sneak peek at their new OS and phone. I went in with modest expectations and was blown away by all they had achieved. I remember leaving the building excited about the chance to help them launch their new phone and to act as an early design partner for their development SDK.
Fast forward 6 months and the Palm Pre is now in the hands of real live users and people are starting to listen to Pandora from their new phones. We’re really excited about the results. Pandora on the Pre is a great listening experience – a fluid user interface with all the standard Pandora features you’ve come to expect on the web. It even runs in the background where it presents a mini playback control panel in the Pre’s dashboard area.
To learn more about Pandora for Palm Pre, click here.
If you’ve haven’t seen the great commercial Palm is running to announce the Pre, click here to get a look – and keep your eyes peeled for a Pandora mention toward the end.
I’m really happy to add the Palm Pre alongside the other Pandora smartphone implementations on iPhone, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile. Covering the entire smartphone space is a big task and we’re not done yet, but we’re devoted to bringing Pandora to every smartphone platform where our listeners want us to be. Yes Android users that means we’ve heard you loud and clear – you’re next!

Comments

1. Steve Smith
    June 16, 2009 at 5:28pm
    I downloaded "Pandora" yesterday for my Palm Pre and I LOVE IT. Thanks:-)
  2. MR
    June 17, 2009 at 10:14am
    I have switched to Last.fm because of this. Pandora... you disappoint me.
  3. bryan
    June 17, 2009 at 5:05pm
    I want the Pre but it's not on Verizon. I have to wait!
  4. RM
    June 17, 2009 at 7:09pm
    Very nice that Palm was able to get you guys to write this, and I'm sure it's as useful as the iPhone app. However, I'm still holding out hope that you'll write an app that runs on Palm's *ORIGINAL* operating system - you know, the one that's installed on MILLIONS of (PalmOS/Access) Treo phones! The many limitations and problems of the Pre phone and WebOS have me NOT upgrading for the first time - and you can bet there are a LOT of other Treo 600,650,700, 755 and Centro users that are quite happy with what they have. I abhor you to get a working Pandora application working ASAP for this massive deployed user base. Again, a LOT of Palm fanatics DO NOT WANT the Pre or WebOS as it presently exists. They also don't want WinceMob. PalmOS is still the most versatile and application-rich PDA/smartphone operating system in existence, and you owe it to yourselves to offer your service to us. Sanyo SCP 8400 supported by Pandora, but not the huge base of PalmOS Treos and Centros... Really?
  5. rosie
    June 18, 2009 at 10:59am
    really I am happy that Palm Pre can use this on their phone, and the HTC touch......I have an HTC Touch Pro and it would love to play my Pandora on it. I would update my account if I could use it on my phone. Until then I am contantly disappointed.
  6. Brian
    June 18, 2009 at 11:31am
    Congrats on the Pre release. I'm one of the android users waiting (although I'm waiting patiently) and looking forward to the Pandora for Android release. I did get the Last.fm app in the absence of Pandora... and I also got the imeem app. I don't think it's a problem, all 3 are a bit different. I still think Pandora is the best for just throwing some music in and letting it play. I'd like to add that the imeem app seems to handle streaming better than the Last.fm app (it seems to pre-buffer the next song, and it just seems to hiccup less than the Last.fm app). I'm sure you guys are looking at these apps (and maybe others) while you develop Pandora for Android. Congrats again! Thanks for the hours upon hours upon hours of free music, and I'm looking forward to the Android release :)
  7. CheezWiz
    June 18, 2009 at 12:24pm
    WinMo VGA is a long time coming and I am itching for it. But as a 37 year old IT guy, I am glad to see the Palm app. For me Palm started it all and I have always rooted for them to make a comeback after I moved to Windows Mobile.
  8. DELTA_SMITH
    June 18, 2009 at 9:39pm
    Is there one for the psp? Im allways using my psp at school ad work fo music. Not my phone... It dies to quick...
  9. Dave | OfficePasswordsRecovery.com
    June 19, 2009 at 6:53am
    I like the Pre, I like Pandora. Perfect news for today. :)
  10. Keith M. Hyde