After a 5 week preview release, Pandora is now open to the public. We’d like to thank the thousands of people that helped us during the preview; we took all of your feedback to heart and were able to rev. the service based on your feedback. In particular the launch release includes several new features you told us you wanted:

• Complete station history – scroll back and see all the songs played on your stations
  • Rate and buy any song – even after they finish playing
  • Quick access to song feedback (“I like this”, “I don’t like this”) from the song popup menu
  • Simplified “Guide Us” panel
  • An improved audio library
  • Enhanced station sharing features
  • A simple URL interface for creating stations from your blogs and websites (more on this later!)

There’s much more still to come — you’ve given us enough ideas to fill 10 releases!
The most gratifying thing about the past month for all of us at Pandora has been the opportunity to interact with all of you. We want to have the same kind of relationship with all of our listeners. Please don’t hesitate to send us an email (pandora-support@pandora.com) with your thoughts, feedback, ideas, and comments. We’re still listening!

Comments

1. Croesus
    September 08, 2005 at 3:30pm
    This is the best service I have seen in a long time. I was just having a conversation the other with my buddy, as I looked over his iPod and saw that all of the songs were basically things we had listened to in the 90's and 80's. Well, said he, "how do you find new music?". Now I have an answer. Great job...I just hope your library grows somewhat.
  2. John
    September 08, 2005 at 9:33pm
    Wow, this is quite neat; as others have said, something we've been waiting for for years. My requests: 1) Access to all the songs/artists you've approved/disapproved in your station, allowing you to edit that list. (At the very least you need an "undo" function; I typed in a word expecting to get a list of various songs with that word in it, but instead it was just added, leaving me not knowing which song was added!) And is there a way to edit a station name? 2) An equalizer or some other way to tweak the treble in particular. I don't know whether it's because of the flash player, but the sound quality you get at 128kbps is, while decent, not as good to my ear as Real or even streaming mp3, especially when it's loud or high-treble. An ability to tamp down those really high-frequency compression artifacts would be nice. 3) Is there a list of all the albums you have on hand? I listen to pretty obscure artists, and I'd like to know before subscribing whether you have just one album by X, or ten of them, or all twenty. Even if your copyright clauses prevent you from telling me which albums you have, a number of albums for each artist would be very useful. 4) A stand-alone player would also be nice, but since I use a Mac, I don't want to push that too hard! 5) A question; do subsequently added artists or songs have less of an effect on a station than the first choice? It certainly seems that way, which is too bad if you're trying to create a more diverse station. 6) Related to 5 (phew, I've gone on too long!), it would be nice to have a slider to change the diversity of a station. That is, as it is, a station seems to hew pretty close to the original choice; it would be nice to be able to make them stray a little farther. I don't know whether you use discrete settings (rhythm type = a,b,c,or d) or continuous spectra (syncopation amount = .25), but you could get more variety either way, by allowing more non-matches with discrete settings, or a wider ball in the continuous-spectrum space around the paradigm song(s). Great product! May replace Music Magic Mixer and my own collection for me.
  3. utility
    September 09, 2005 at 1:43am
    now as soon as i can get this kind of service into my car radio you got me ;-)
  4. gozilla
    September 09, 2005 at 5:36am
    Love it - planning on subscribing once my trial period is up. Works on my work Windows 2K boxen, works on my home Suse Linux boxen. Spreading the word where I can - would love to see this kind of service take off and squash the beast that is Clear Channel - the music industry in general could certainly use the shake up! Suggestion: I only have a single station at the moment with a somewhat eclectic mix of artists. The player seems play blocks of songs in a given genre - like a few jazz then a few indie rock - would be nice to have a scramble option that randomly plays from the my whole list. Thanks!
  5. Chrisf
    September 09, 2005 at 7:39am
    Wow. Pandora is fantastic. Great tech, great interface. The best net radio system I've ever seen. Well done.
  6. sonium
    September 10, 2005 at 5:03am
    Yesterday I used Pandora as a Party Jukebox. People really seemd to like it. I just have two things on my wishlist: 1. cross-plattform standalone application 2. UPnP Server functionality for streaming all this nice stuff to my livingroom :D and I would like to have some german folk-rock like "in extremo", "subway to sally" and "schandmaul" ...
  7. Kevin Cheng
    September 10, 2005 at 3:14pm
    simple feature perhaps: let me bookmark songs so i can later go back and buy em (as impulsive as i am, i can't buy a song the INSTANT that i hear it for the first time). i know you can't play a song on demand so the utility of a list of bookmarked songs may seem less than useful but i've resorted to just copying names into a textpad for now.
  8. bonesbro
    September 12, 2005 at 2:09pm
    One more request - I would really like an option to hide the album art. The images are sometimes not suitable for work...
  9. Chris Olsz
    September 12, 2005 at 9:47pm
    Just wanted to say... I am absolutely blown away. Tried a few 'stations' and loved 75% of the playlist and enjoyed 100% of it. Discovery, you're not kidding!
  10. andrea
    September 13, 2005 at 6:02am
    Mike Viola on my Death Cab For Cutie station? Not necessarily obvious, but definitely PERFECT. I might have to subscribe!