myTouch_now_playing.jpgWhen we set out building Pandora four years ago we knew that our work wouldn’t be done until we’d found a great way to unlock the service from the PC. Just over a year ago the iPhone let us take the first compelling step in that direction and the year since has been filled with a bunch of mobile product launches from Pandora.
I’m delighted to announce that today we’re finally ready to extend the Pandora experience to Android. As of today Pandora is available directly from Pandora at www.pandora.com/android as well as in the Android Market.
I’m really excited about how Pandora for Android turned out. You listen to all the Pandora stations that you’ve been listening to on the web and the application is deeply integrated with many of the core Android features too. You can control playback from a home screen widget, “deep tap” any artist or song in the standard Android music player and jump into Pandora to discover other similar artists, make a smart folder to get quick access to your stations from the home screen, buy tracks you discover from the Amazon MP3 application, use your Android address book to share stations with your friends, and of course listen in the background while you’re doing other things on the phone.
Pandora runs on both the myTouch and the G1 today and I’m also excited to announce that we’re working with Sprint to ensure that Pandora works flawlessly on the HTC Hero when it becomes available next month.
This one has been a long time in coming; thanks so much for your patience. Hope it was worth the wait and that you enjoy taking Pandora with you as much as we enjoyed building it.

Comments

1. Tony Guinta
    October 01, 2009 at 6:31am
    Loving Pandora on my G1 Android! Have been waiting for this since the G1 first came out. A very helpful feature would be the ability to review and rate the songs later. This would allow me to review and rate songs I heard while driving. I wouldn't mind if I had to login to pandora.com to see my history. Thanks for this great app. Discovering lots of bands I knew nothing about!
  2. joe
    October 01, 2009 at 11:58pm
    Where's the app for Nokia? Hey, Nokia has more phones out there than anyone else. Let's see a little love for us Nokia people, too.
  3. Hannah
    October 02, 2009 at 3:12pm
    Pandora rocks!!!!!!!! My sis has an account and i wanted to too!!!!! I love being able to listen to music online easily. To the person who said that pandora's a pain in the butt is CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY.
  4. John
    October 05, 2009 at 7:58pm
    Why are some pandora mobile apps restricted to such low bitrates? iPhone & Blackberry have higher bitrates than Winmo, for instance. What bitrate is Pandora's app streaming? And why don't you make these apps a bit more open, ie do a javabed app?
  5. Dylan
    October 20, 2009 at 9:40pm
    Thank you for bringing Pandora to the Android platform! I had a suggestion about the mobile app: A sleep mode. My Android phone charges on my night stand and serves as my radio in the evening, and it's my alarm clock in the morning. I would like to be able to put it in a sleep mode that would play for at least a certain number of user-definable minutes, finish the current song and then stop playing.
  6. kelly
    October 29, 2009 at 7:06pm
    i notice when i downloaded the app it says high fees might apply. Excuse the ignorant question but if I have unlimited text/message/web will I be covered or when my bill come will it be sky high? thanks
  7. r4
    November 05, 2009 at 3:22am
    I heard to many people. They knew that is the better for us. Then i decided i will purchase it. People are find out which one is the best.
  8. Paul
    December 16, 2009 at 9:30am
    I've been trying to download Pandora to my HTC Magic running Android for a few weeks now. Every link I try takes me to the same page at the Market place: 'Pandora not found'. Why is this? Could it be that it's not available in the UK? Wouldn't explain why I can't find it though.
  9. mike
    December 29, 2009 at 11:45pm
    I second the person requesting visualizations. Milkdrop in winamp is absolutely stunning, something similar in Pandora would be amazing!!
  10. GoBeavs
    January 13, 2010 at 2:27pm
    Not sure why so many android folks are having trouble finding Pandora in the marketplace...and yes, it is available in the USA only at this time. Awesome job Pandora. I only went with my current HTC Hero on Sprint because it had Pandora. If not, no way! Has a few bugs and glitches, but overall is great!