Welcome to Volume 3 of “No Mainstream Fridays.” For the uninitiated, NMF is a weekly listing of songs that are:
1. worth listening to
2. probably not being featured elsewhere at the moment
3. would be mainstream if there were such a thing…
Go here to see Volume 1 and Volume 2.
ok, I picked a baker’s dozen this week, and so without further ado, the nominees are:
Imogen Heap Hide and Seek – one of those fascinating and frighteningly catchy pop songs… for everyone who thinks autotune and noise gating are cheating, check this out.
Tyrannosaurus Rex She Was Born To Be My Unicorn – oh, how I love Tyrannosaurus Rex. this song is full of weird magic.

Those Transatlantics Boys and Children, Sing for Summer – I don’t know if this record is even out yet. intelligent, orchestrated indie-pop from the midwest. look em up.
Euros Childs Circus Time – one of the most deeelightful songs I’ve heard in a while. I guess Pitchfork mentions it in a review, too, so maybe this one’s going to get some attention.
Spunkshine Jambic Reel – propulsive and kind of heavy groove stuff with sampled vocal bits. this was an indie submission that came in a few weeks ago.
Itals In a Dis Time – heard someone say they hate reggae the other day. I dare you to hate on this .three part vocals, joyous, with just enough grit to keep it feeling real…
One Ring Zero The Ghost of Rita Gonzalo – this is a song from an interesting project wherein well known writers write lyrics to pop songs. I’m not sure why people think that just because someone can write prose, he can write songs. It’s not as easy as it appears to be. but that’s kind of why it’s cool to listen to. This lyric was written by dave eggers.
Mozart Rottweiler Back Stabb’in Ma Ma – this is one of the oddest indie submissions we’ve received so far, and it somehow fascinates me. I don’t even know if that’s good or not. this is like rainy day women #73 or #96405… It’s from 1992 but it could be 1972. I like to think of them rehearsing.
Townes Van Zandt To Live is To Fly – “days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum. Forget most remember some, but don’t turn none away.” “I’ll miss the system here, the bottom’s low and the treble’s clear, but it don’t pay to think too long on things you’ll leave behind.” “You’re soft as glass and I’m a gentle man, we’ve got the sky to talk about and the world to lie upon.” “we all got holes to fill, and them holes are all that’s real. some fall on you like a storm sometimes you dig your own.” hmm. let’s just say that this is some part of what people mean by “good lyrics.” if you’re not hip to townes, you’re not hip. happily, his records are easy to find. a must for all would-be song writers, and for everyone else as well.
The Stares From the Sky – a slow, lovely song replete with stunning strings. The Stares are a current, Seattle based band. so good. and I hear they are working on a new record right now.
The Id The Inner Sounds of the Id – ah, 1967! Spoken word, sitar. contains the initial incantation: “come, Id. Rise from the depths. The deep one. The one deep down inside now crawling slowly up the spine…” ok it’s not exactly leaving much to the imagination (how ironic). it starts like snake charming (kundalini is mentioned) and goes god knows where. priceless!!!
Skalpel 1958 – nice analog samples collaged into a sort of nu-jazz (but good!) electronica mashy mash!
Ron Sexsmith Summer Blowin Town – just a great, good old song. Ron Sexsmith is excellent, and I especially love this album (the self-titled one).
enjoy, and have great weekends,
best,
mz

Comments

1. jose
    May 05, 2006 at 1:06pm
    Greetings from ICELAND I've just discovered PANDORA....this is absolutely great, i was starting to be tired of this awful radio-station on line that 'you cannot control', and the spectrum of songs is unbelievably huge! Thanks a lot take a look at some icelandic great bands: JEFF WHO? DIKTA LIGHTS ON THE HIGHWAY
  2. Philip W. Wise
    May 05, 2006 at 4:27pm
    Please add classical music! I really love your service it rocks but it needs more music.
  3. Sarah
    May 05, 2006 at 9:19pm
    I'm just going to lay it out there... you are completely amazing. I've never, EVER known anyone to have such an eclectic musical taste, and what's funny is, I enjoy everything you put out there. Just wanted to say thanks, your work is much appreciated! :)
  4. H
    May 06, 2006 at 10:19am
    Thanks for making Pandora, I'm a student, I only wish I could afford the device that lets you listen. Can't wait till I'm done w/ high school and get a job, I'll buy it when I'm in college. Think you could add DJ Dangermouse's Grey Album Thanks
  5. Stephanie
    May 06, 2006 at 1:05pm
    haha. tell that kid in high school he won't be able to afford it in college either. I know I can't. I'm telling ymself I'll buy it when I graduate. I LOVE PANDORA! wow, I've always wanted to listen to music other people recommend for me and look! here is pandora! to save the day and keep broadening the musical horizons! all we need now is classical music... :) please?
  6. Lauren
    May 06, 2006 at 3:35pm
    This is a totally awesome site, but I think a comment worthy of no mainstream Friday is a band reccomendation of The Grates! They have an ep out and on itunes and just released their first album in Australia which hasn't been released here in the U.S. yet, but they're great and I noticed you didn't have anything by them! Good local San Francisco, CA band: Inverness :D
  7. Cynthia
    May 06, 2006 at 5:06pm
    Whatever you're doing, keep doing it! I'm currently paying for similar service that doesn't come close to creating the kind of playlists Pandora does, and I am consistently amazed and delighted by the music I discover, as I continue to fine tune. So, I'm not only hearing songs I already love, I'm finding new ones--a Tubes one that blew me away, most recently, and that I'd never heard. What a great adventure!
  8. patricia miranda
    May 07, 2006 at 6:15am
    i have post about pandora in myu blog today... hope that you like it ; )) http://leasuresantamistura.blogspot.com/
  9. GHop
    May 07, 2006 at 2:43pm
    kia ora from New Zealand Had a friend direct me to your guys site... and I'm definitly impressed! keep up the good work guys, it was esp good to find a little old skool out there too. Cheers :p
  10. phil
    May 07, 2006 at 3:05pm
    Lights on the highway are cool - add them. It must be hard finding the balance of who to add because you get so many requests. Is there a procedure in place to choose? Imogen Heap - good choice. Can i suggest some... www.myspace.com/lowsparks www.myspace.com/jamiewoon www.myspace.com/theupperroomspace