A huge thank you to everyone who has been so supportive over the past week as we’ve been hit by the stunning ruling on webcast rates. It’s very heartening for us to see how much people care about this, and how willing listeners are to pitch in. And how many of you there are!!
There has been an enormous groundswell of opposition to this decision, and we’ve been hard at work on how to best channel the energy in the right direction. Because the webcasting community does not have an entrenched and powerful lobbying presence in DC, grassroots legislative pressure – constituents contacting their representatives – is clearly our biggest ally.
Internet radio is hostage to a blatantly discriminatory double standard that was written into the federal statute governing webcasting several years ago, following an intensive lobbying effort by the RIAA. We need to redress this, and create a more level playing field – one that of course rewards musicians for their work (I spent years in a band van myself and have always been driven by a desire to lift up musicians), and one that also understands the business realities, and benefits of online radio.
While we figure this out, below are a few of the more informative write ups we’ve seen in the past week. We also suggest that you visit and sign this petition put together by a collection of webcasters.
Doc Searls Blog
Jason Fry article in Wall Street Journal
LA Times Editorial
Thanks again for your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. mike
    March 24, 2007 at 9:33pm
    The RIAA doesn't care about the profits they get from internet radio, they are far more concerned with physical copies. this is thus likely why they hiked it this high- I doubt they had no idea it could do this, I mean if they didn't they'll lower the royalties real quick after half the stations can't play their music. at the very least they've hastened their [RIAA] demise. here's to Indie music and Pandora fighting the good fight- cheers -PS I signed the petition too :)
  2. SmartITGuy
    March 26, 2007 at 8:19am
    Hi Tim, and thank you for all your work. What a great site and idea that Pandora and the Genome Music Project is/are. PLEEEASE - If the words of the protesters of the copyright ruling go unheard and you are forced to shut down - before you do, please consider hosting your services on Canadian soil! RIAA has no clout here, in fact the CRIA (Canadian branch of the RIAA), has lost every legal challenge ever placed before consumers and businesses. And the fact that Canada already has a trade-agreement with the US, the US can't muscle Canada into adopting the US copyright model, like they did with Australia.
  3. MADcHATTER
    April 01, 2007 at 9:05am
    Everyone is touting writing their congress people...and to some this may seem like the only way to get this turned around. I would like to point out one thing folks... The CRB (Copyright Royalty Board) is an office of, and run by...The Librarian Of Congress! Do you really think their going to look out for your interests here? I would like to offer a counter proposal. We are starting a movement to go after the True Perpetrators of this decision, the RIAA's Gestapo tactics, the use of the legal complexities and inequities to aid in the destruction of an entire small business segment...the only people who would truly benefit from destroying Internet Radio...The Labels! The "Don't Buy Into It" campaign is working to become the "Ultimate Act of Civil Disobedience" By getting Americans to do the one thing that will really get the Labels, CRB's, RIAA's and even the Governments attention...NOT SPENDING OUR MONEY ON THE LABELS CRAP for 6 months! We can do this...if we DJ's, Netcasters, Listeners can pull together to get the word out...From October 1st 2007 to March 1st, 2008...during the biggest sales time of the year...We Dont Buy Anything The Labels Put out! We can go for 6 months without buying their crap...they CANT go for 6 months without us buying their crap! It will be an undertaking as massive in scale as it sounds...we need to get the word out to at least 100 million americans, or more...we need to get the word out to our worldwide audiences! Imagine the possibilities... More information can be found at http://www.madchatter.net help us to inform everyone with the truly most effective tool we have...our money! By keeping it...we send the most powerful message there is...Dont Mess With Us! We are the People! We have the Power! Dont take away our freedom of choice! DON'T BUY INTO IT!
  4. aaron
    April 02, 2007 at 7:43pm
    I pray web radio is saved, especially for the people like me who aren't able to get out of house very much, I've been listening to web radio for years now and when I first found out that there was this serious problem going on, its sad to know web radio maybe in jeopardy, I only found out about Pandora about 2 or more years ago and since then I've listened to Pandora the most, because Tim and his staff really have been working hard at their jobs and my theory is that everybody would have to realize how much time the artists and different workers (DJs) who help put the music on the radio for all to listen to whatever the people want to listen to is very important not just for the people who enjoy listening to web radio but I think its also important to help the people who bring the music to the radio keep their jobs. thanks. P.S. I wish and pray for everyone involved get something worked out
  5. Brandon
    April 02, 2007 at 10:48pm
    I was stumbling on firefox last night and found Pandora. It is amazing! I typed in my favorite artist and was able to discover twelve more great bands within an hour of listening. I love the links to iTunes and Amazon. I also love the ability to skip a track if it isn't something I like. I just wanted to thank you for such a great program. I'll be telling my friends about it. Keep up the god fight!
  6. Head Lightner
    April 04, 2007 at 4:46am
    the jerks and their lawyers have no idea how much they have shot themselves in the foot. i've legally paid for thousands of dollars worth of music from iTunes, money i would not have spent if i had'nt found new artist and new material by listening to pandora. i've called and complianed to my congressman, i've signed your petition, and if there is anything else i can do do to keep this fine idea alive i'm more than willing. keep up the good fight. i'm in with you for the long haul. thanks!
  7. Sherry Bass
    April 04, 2007 at 12:36pm
    I am so glad I stumbled up on Pandora! I love the way they take your favorites and play songs similar to them. Am I the only one who likes these oddball songs?
  8. Andi
    April 04, 2007 at 4:03pm
    I can't believe I just found this wonderful resource on my MSN site!!! It is the best gift of music. I have even put off buying an MP3 player as Pandora is so easy to use and meets my needs. Thank you so much. My only suggestion is for more World Music, especially from some great latin music bands I heard in Central America this winter. I am thinking of one band called Malpais.
  9. Will
    April 17, 2007 at 9:40pm
    Seems like every time you think the RIAA has crawled back into it's hole it has popped out again!
  10. sameer
    April 18, 2007 at 12:39pm
    i hate pandora a lot just because its sooo slow you listen to a song and its running sooo slow that cant be then all of us will hate pandora and it lets your computer slow a lot when your in pandora