A huge thank you to everyone who has been so supportive over the past week as we’ve been hit by the stunning ruling on webcast rates. It’s very heartening for us to see how much people care about this, and how willing listeners are to pitch in. And how many of you there are!!
There has been an enormous groundswell of opposition to this decision, and we’ve been hard at work on how to best channel the energy in the right direction. Because the webcasting community does not have an entrenched and powerful lobbying presence in DC, grassroots legislative pressure – constituents contacting their representatives – is clearly our biggest ally.
Internet radio is hostage to a blatantly discriminatory double standard that was written into the federal statute governing webcasting several years ago, following an intensive lobbying effort by the RIAA. We need to redress this, and create a more level playing field – one that of course rewards musicians for their work (I spent years in a band van myself and have always been driven by a desire to lift up musicians), and one that also understands the business realities, and benefits of online radio.
While we figure this out, below are a few of the more informative write ups we’ve seen in the past week. We also suggest that you visit and sign this petition put together by a collection of webcasters.
Doc Searls Blog
Jason Fry article in Wall Street Journal
LA Times Editorial
Thanks again for your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Ian
    March 12, 2007 at 4:59pm
    My only suggestion for this site is to allow users to add any songs they want to the station but not allow additional music from that particular one to spread further away from the original artist or song of the station. It tends to go away from the feel of the station. So there could be one degree instead of multiple degrees of music. The multiple degrees tends to take away from the feel of the music. If they give a thumbs up on songs they like, it will add to what they particularly want to listen to based on the original song or artist they selected as a station. They would be more inclined to collect specific music closer to the original song or artist selected. That's the only issue I have with Pandora at the moment, and I'm learning not to add any music to the original song or artist so that I can give a thumbs down to anything that doesn't fit. At the same time, I don't add a thumbs up always because I have the feeling it would broaden too far away from the original song or artist of the station. Thanks!
  2. Ron Wess
    March 13, 2007 at 12:36am
    I CAN ONLY SAY THAT IS A PLEASURE TO BE ON THIS SITE AND APART OF A WONDERFUL MUSIC LOVING FAMILY..I'M IN BLISS RIGHT ABOUT NOW..I ACIDENTLY STUBBLED ONTO YOU GUYS. MUSIC IS MY PASSION REALLY..IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE..PLAY ON!!! THE SITE IS GREAT IS ALL I CAN SAY..HEY BUT YOU GOT TO GET KANSAS ON THE MAP...I'LL HOOK YA UP AT THE COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT..FRIENDS AND FAMILY RATE WE'LL TREATCHA GOOD...I'M AN ENGINEER AT THE HOTEL/MUSICPRODUCER/HIP HOP DANCE INSTRUCTOR/PORTRAIT ARTIST....GO TO www.myspace.com/ronwessmusaq to get a taste yeah i'm an aspiring artist tryin to spring forward. tonite i have heard some amazing stuff....right now I HAVE THE PAT METHENY CHANNEL...THATS MY MAN, CAUGHT HOLD OF HIM IN THE EARLY 90'S BEEN HOOKED EVERSINCE....HOPEFULLY ONE DAY I CAN COLLAB...GOT SOME WICKED METHENY REMIXES...I'M A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH IS ALL MY TIME TO SHINE WILL COME..I'M JUST IN IT FOR THE REAL LOVE OF MUSIC....PEACE LOVE & GOD BLESS!!! RON WESS
  3. elizabeth Kay
    March 13, 2007 at 4:01pm
    I've only just discovered this lovely way of listening to some of my favourite songs and artists. It brings back my youth and happy memories. I'm so disappointed that it's been snatched away so soon.
  4. chris
    March 13, 2007 at 10:22pm
    Love what you do,guys... A good friend gave me your link-now I never surf wihout you.Against everyone's wishes,he is going into the Marine Corps right after graduation... Please,Great Spirit,let him return to us,safe and well.
  5. Hilary
    March 14, 2007 at 6:43am
    I've just written my representatives in Congress to protest this decision. It's insane, and I'm very cranky at the idea that Pandora might not be around to brighten my days. Your service makes my work day bearable. I can't lose that!
  6. Thomas
    March 15, 2007 at 7:24am
    Hi I have been listening to Pandora since its conception. I am not a user in the US (so your statement on the FAQ page about Pandora only being for US listening does not really make sense). I live in Europe and listen to Pandora all the time. So do many of my friends. I am sure you have millions of non-US listeners. I have signed the petition and recommended to all my European friends, who use Pandora as well, to do the same.
  7. April
    March 15, 2007 at 10:18am
    Hey, Can you post this on the main Pandora page? I be lots of listeners who don't make it over to the blog would want to help. Even better if you had a one click petition they could sign from the front page. April
  8. Matt
    March 16, 2007 at 7:59am
    I'm so sorry that your site is getting shut down. When I first came to this site I was so excited about how amazing it was. You guys truly do have an amazing idea here - a golden egg. Now the RIAA is trying to take that away from us. Man those guys piss me off
  9. Carolyn Kline
    March 16, 2007 at 8:03am
    I love this site. I use it quite frequently and have heard music I never would have heard otherwise thanks to Pandora. What RIAA is trying to do by hiking fees is ridiculous. I've sent a letter off to my congressmen and also signed the petition. I really really hope this helps makes a difference so other sites, like Pandora can flourish instead of being squashed by big business.
  10. Erik G
    March 16, 2007 at 8:03am
    The RIAA is becoming insufferable. This legislation is ridiculous and unnecessary. I have been a part of the Pandora community for some time now and the thought of some jerkoff lawyer telling me that I can't listen to radio on the internet is infuriating. They aren't helping the music industry, they are forcing it underground.