hey everyone!
It’s been busy busy around here lately, as we’ve worked to keep up with all of you! It occured to me that I should communicate my thanks to each of you who has send us music requests. It’s a very big world, and as I suspected, there are many many many cds in it. And yet, in classic late-aught-5 style, the combined efforts of many of you dedicated listeners have helped us more than any individual could have (see wikipedia, web 2.0, etc). And it’s only been a few months. Please keep the requests coming!
A little advanced addendum for the supremely devoted: if you’re sending us info for a brand new band, or a local band that’s probably not yet signed or distributed, please consider emailing the band directly and cc’ing us on that email. We are 100% receptive to independent music, and will listen to whatever people send in, and we’ll add it if we can. And we absolutely hate it when we can’t find copies of the music that you suggest to us!!! The same message goes out to those of you in bands who want to be considered for inclusion to Pandora. Please send us your music!
Also, believe it or not, certain genres are hard to find, even here in the commerce-glutted US of A, so if you feel that we’re light on a particular genre, please feel free to send us information on resources like online stores and review sites for your fave micro-genres. Sometimes that’s all it takes for us to be able to provide a comprehensive catalog of your favorite stuff….
Your requests are being logged and worked through, and we’re getting everything that we can, so long as we feel confident that it’s up to your standards…
OK. ’nuff about that. here are a very few of my favorite current musics, new and old, to spice up the holidays. In no particular order, a partial list:
City Bird (Pandora station based on this song by Of Montreal)
Magic Carpet (sitar folk from the 70s!)
Nirvana (1967) (the original nirvana! from britain – classic british 60s pop – a cult classic – see esp. the song Wings of Love… this makes a great vintage 60s pop station! but beware, you need to ask for “Nirvana (1967) or you’ll get the Kurt Cobain Nirvana….)
Mark Hollis (this brilliant and mercurial frontman from Talk Talk made a sublime, self-titled solo record… moody and perfect)
Jose Gonzalez (!!!!!! beautiful contemporary indie-folk stuff, subtle not sentimental. definitely one of my best-ofs this year…)
The Dirty Projectors (freaky low fi pop, blindingly brilliant. oh man.)
Goldspot (clean, smart pop from a new band that’s not that well known, yet…)
The Teeth (more great pop, sort of punkish, kinks-ish, totally excellent and original)
The Stares (a great new band from Seattle with strings and horns by the great Eyvind Kang)
Ghosts of Monkshood (very strange psych folk – from Oklahoma I think – very weird and wonderful)
Diane Cluck (nyc folk-innocent. so simple. so great.)
Vashti Bunyan (long lost folk lass from Britain, just released her second album, 30 years after her first!)
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (old school neo soul…)
Dungen (scandinavian epic psych-pop……. superb)
Black Sabbath (get your vintage Sabbath metal fix. never checked em out??? you should.)
Davy Graham (60’s acoustic folk)
Dr. Dog (more great interesting pop.)
well, I just know I’m forgetting a bunch more… you’ll let me know, though. of that I am certain……
yours,
mz

Comments

1. Charles K Huyck
    December 05, 2005 at 4:40pm
    I really appreciate what you are doing, and I hope that through plentiful right clicks, you are able to keep funding this through amazon and I-tunes. However, I find that most of the time, the music I enter is not in the database. This can range from light jazz and classical to easy listening, cheesy 70's electronic music, or library music. This is the music I find most appropriate for work. Is there a way to browse the selections that you have by "genome" to create better stations? Perhaps you have some documentation that couls act as a guide. Thanks.
  2. Tom Webster
    December 06, 2005 at 1:50pm
    That Mark Hollis record is a gem. The most sublime moments of Talk Talk's brilliant latter years, distilled into a quiet, gorgeous record. Thanks for reminding me to dig that one out again! And, of course, thanks for Pandora.
  3. conor
    December 06, 2005 at 2:47pm
    my old band, Automind, played what I call "brutal cosmic doom". influences: Sabbath, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Electric Wizard it can be freely used. enjoy. also, as long as I'm asking questions, is there a music term glossary for pandora? great site/service. thank you.
  4. Dennis
    December 06, 2005 at 3:05pm
    It's a hot summer's evening. You and your girl are on the roof of an apartment building in a large city. A trumpet or a saxophone begins to play... My song. That's my song being played. Can you tell me the genre and some song titles and names of some artists of that song? I know it's jazz, but what king?
  5. Corey
    December 06, 2005 at 7:41pm
    This is a fantastic idea. You guys rock. I hope this is a great success!
  6. Fred
    December 07, 2005 at 4:15am
    Hey, I'll second the comment about trying to start a "Weird Al" station and getting nothing remotely like what I was expecting. I even tried adding Tom Lehrer to the mix (now that is REALLY going back!) and while it found selections by both artists, it kept trying to intersperse serious music. You definitely ought to have a "clean humor/parody" genre. I hadn't thought about it but depending on how far back you want to go, Bill Cosby and Bob Newhart released quite a bit of their material on disc, that would also fit in such a genre. I have a suggestion, have a checkbox on the player that says "profanity filter" - if checked it would not play recordings that contain the "f" word or other overt profanity. Not only would this help parent who may have children in the room (and people who just plain don't enjoy listening to profanity), but in the long run it might help keep you out of hot water (perhaps with lawmakers who would see the profanity as a reason to regulate services like his one). By giving people a choice, you can say that no one is forced to listen to it in order to use the service.
  7. Skreeonk
    December 07, 2005 at 8:37am
    Hi, first off, I love Pandora. I use it almost every day. It does have one mind-boggling feature, though. It doesn't seem to see the forest for the trees. I mean, I can plug in a bunch of bands and musicians with female vocals -- but Pandora doesn't seem to recognise this very basic characteristic of each band. I mean, I put PJ Harvey, Belly, and Neko Case into the system and I got recommended band after band after band featuring nothing but male vocals.
  8. me.
    December 07, 2005 at 9:31am
    pandora is an awesome idea. sadly it doesn't really work for "non-gangsta"-rap. whatever band i use for setting up a station, i end up hearing the crap that made me turn of urban radio stations. the pandora idea doesn't work with rap so far. i hope that will change. ..and i hope pandora doesn't end up as a marketing tool.
  9. Deebug
    December 07, 2005 at 5:47pm
    Listen to me carefully. Pandora will revolutionize the way music will be treated. It will turn the way we choose music up side down. Keep it up! The lack of choice in some genres (the most common critique i've heared so far) will be solved soon I'm sure, since the success is growing exponentialy. My advice is: invest, invest, invest. This is an awesome formula. For the love of ... abuse it!
  10. waterloo
    December 07, 2005 at 9:02pm
    i <3 pandora. o so macodocious. ive been telling everyone that has ears about this site. its like christmas everday. but free!?!

Reply to Jacob Day Cancel Reply