With the holidays fast approaching, we’ve been getting lots of requests for seasonal music. Tonight we’re rolling out an updated version of Pandora that will let you build your very own, personalized holiday stations.
To hear seasonal music on Pandora, just start by entering the name of a favorite holiday song (for example, “Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow“). We’ll then ask you to pick your favorite version and we’ll create a station that will play other similar holiday music. While we’re not able to play that exact song immediately, it will play on your station eventually so keep listening!
If you’d rather start from an artist, just enter the artist’s name followed by the word holiday (for example, “Nat King Cole (Holiday)“). We’ll then use that input to build a holiday station based on the musical qualities of that performer’s holiday classics.
We’re busy adding more seasonal music everyday, so keep coming back and expect that your holiday stations will improve over the coming weeks.
Thanks for listening, and happy holidays from the whole crew here at Pandora.

Comments

1. Thaylin
    November 30, 2005 at 8:31am
    On my previous post I made a mistake in saying that the liek it/don't like it thing wasn't there anymore. DOH! I was listening to a friends station so of course I couldn't change the playlist... silly me. On another note one thign I did notice is that I seem to get a lot of 80's hair metal music when I in no way selected that. So if anyone selects things like Primus, Stone temple pilots, and Red Hot Chili Peppers beware the hair.. metal!
  2. jenn
    November 30, 2005 at 11:40am
    i love this site!! and its excellent advertising for the artists, i still love buying cd's and have picked up 3 new ones since listening here, music that i haven't heard on the radio so maybe wouldn't ever have been exposed to. thank you! -jenn
  3. Anonymous Poster
    November 30, 2005 at 2:36pm
    How about an option to enter something like Artist Name (song) And then it would show you a list of songs by that artist and let you check off the ones you like? The reason I ask is because sometimes I know that there is a certain artist that has done songs I like and songs I really don't. For example I tend to dislike most really slow songs, and some artists do both fast and slow songs, and I may only want to hear the fast ones. And that brings up another thought - a previous poster suggested that you have check boxes for "don't like song" and "don't like style" - I would also suggest you may want to consider buttons for "too slow" and "too fast", which would basically mean "I don't want to hear anything by this artist that is as slow or slower (fast or faster) than the current song." This would only work if you have songs rated by approximate beats per minute, of course.
  4. Min
    November 30, 2005 at 3:42pm
    I just read about your site. I've known about it for about 5 minutes and it's already one of my top 5 favorite things on the internet. Thank you so much for executing such a fantastic website AND for making it free. Keep up the excellent work!
  5. stealbelow
    November 30, 2005 at 4:34pm
    I wonder why don't I have an rss feed for my Pandora favourites? Rss feeds for my stations? Public/Private feeds? Why not give me the chance to post links to my Pandora station on my blog so other Pandora users can see what I'm digging and vote my stations up or down the Pandora Pop charts? Since its all about the culture of entitlement these days why not make the pie bigger and give me a slice of it anytime a listener of my Pandora station buys from itunes or amazon through me? I could always add them one by one to my blog side bar eventually with my own amazon or itunes affiliate code anyway? http://www.payattentiontome.com Let's discuss :)
  6. Bobbias
    November 30, 2005 at 6:57pm
    You know, a nice improvement for me would be to see EVERY one ofthe classification criteria a song fits into, and have generally more control over what songs it picks, because untill I spend a couple hours narrowing down and weeding out songs which are "related" to my choice (usually a band) I get crappy songs all over the place. that, and Aphex Twin seems to get a great many extremely minimilistic set of songs -.-. That said, you need WAY more IDM, such as The Flashbulb, and so on, you also REALLY need to make an exact "Metal" and "Nu-Metal" genre and have an option to flag a song in accordance to which it is, because using basically any Metal genre band/song will get tons of nu-metal, and that is something I personally despise. I should be able to flag songs under a specific genre myself, as well, so i have better control over which things it gets accepted by, and also have the ability to suggest, and see a lits of suggested songs/artists, and possibly a status on which are in the process of being checked, and so-on. Generally, I'm looking for MUCH better control over which song gets to be played, and such. With all that said, I LOVE this thing! Seriously, I love listening to this, because it comes up with some interesting stuff. The next step is to include super-sub-genres and have a pannel of people selected to review songs and place them properly into exact niches, which would be useful for flagging a station to listen to stuff mostly in certain genres, and to avoid stuff in certain genres alltogeather. an example would be something like wanting to listen to say, molodic death metal, power metal, and epic metal only, and to have selections from those genreas only which are closely related sound-wise to the originating band/song. I've got a sstation based on Iced Earth, and after the first song (which was Wolf by Iced Earth) I never heard another one, and now it's completely away from Iced Earth and more into general metal, and the odd nu-metal-ish song. Sorry for the huge post, and props again for an AWESOME site (though I agree the site could get a different look, or even better, a bunch of selectable skins!!!)
  7. Dan P.
    November 30, 2005 at 7:31pm
    All I can say is THANK YOU! The quality of the music is amazing...I believe this to be probably the best thing I've ever discovered on the net. Well done!!
  8. bonesbro
    December 01, 2005 at 10:14am
    I would really like to purchase subscriptions as holiday gifts. I don't seem to see a way to do this though... :(
  9. Carly
    December 01, 2005 at 10:43am
    You guys are awesome!!
  10. Chris Owens
    December 01, 2005 at 10:48am
    Nailed it in one! I didn't even see this post at first, but I thought "I wonder if Pandora can give me some Christmas Music?" I went and typed in "O tenenbaum" and selected the one by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, and I've been enjoying the station all morning. That rules. Thanks.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )