What a week! The outpouring of public support for internet radio over the past seven days has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Following our outreach to Pandora listeners, every congressional office was flooded with constituent phone calls, emails and faxes – literally hundreds of thousands in just 5 days! The entire fax system on the Hill was brought to a standstill. We had to hand deliver the faxes!
The response in DC has been dramatic and immediate. A bill was introduced today to reverse this terrible ruling and bring rationality to bear on this issue.
The bill is called the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 and is being introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL). For more info go to SaveNetRadio
Please take a moment to call your congress person to voice your support for this legislation and urge them to sponsor or support the bill. It’s very important the we keep pressure on the legislators to ensure that this bill is passed quickly.
If you need help determining who your member of the House of Representatives is, go to www.house.gov where, in the upper left hand corner, you can enter your zip code and get the corresponding Congressperson. Click on their name to access the main phone number of their Washington, D.C. office.
Also, a heads up that I’ll be hosting a town hall next Monday evening in the capital. We’ll be on the Hill meeting with representatives and are having a special meetup. It’ll be followed by an evening of music and a party hosted by the SaveNetRadio coalition. It’s a free event – and friends are welcome. Come join the army of webcasters, musicians, politicians and others that are driving this campaign for a night of music and conversation. Details:
Where: Be Bar , 1318 9th Street NW
When: Monday, April 30th @ 6:30 PM
RSVP: Send email to tim.westergren@pandora.com
Hope to see you there…
Thank you again for all of your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Andreas Sher
    May 03, 2007 at 8:00pm
    Tim, Thanks for the clarification, and I apologies again for my ranting (an old hippy fighting the "man" ;)). I do appreciate what you have done with Pandora and for all musicians (I count several professional musicians as my friends). Perhaps this thread can go as signature campaign to the powers that be to show support for a change in the licensing laws. After all the Internet does cross international borders indiscriminately! Thanks once again, and I wish you success even with a smaller Pandora audience! PS It would be interesting to know what the ratio of US / non-US listener is, oops, was!
  2. Catherine van Zuylen
    May 04, 2007 at 12:31pm
    FYI, I contacted Anna Eshoo's office and she is backing the bill. You should perhaps post a list of supporters on the site. Hopefully sometime soon, regulations will provide for the *whole* world to experience Pandora again. Technology has the power to makes the world your neighbor, which can make the world a better place. I listen to BBC Radio on my Roku...I wonder if there is a country in the world in which you could open a subsidiary that would enable you to resume your global service? May 4, 2007 Dear Catherine, Thank you for contacting me about copyright royalty rates on webcasters. We agree with each other and I share your concerns about the decision by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) to propose increased royalty rates for web-based music services. In many cases the rates the CRB proposed are higher than the total revenue these services generate and if implemented, could effectively strangle this fledgling industry. I will support legislation to overturn the CRB decision and allow the Board to set a reasonable royalty rate that justly compensates artists and copyright owners without destroying up-and-coming webcasting services. Sincerely, Anna G. Eshoo Member of Congress
  3. Carolin Borchardt
    May 06, 2007 at 11:36am
    I just want to greet you all from Berlin and I am very sad what happened. Pandora was such a great pleasure for me, it only motivates buying cds, no need to interrupt this! Let the music live worldwide without any restriction!!!
  4. Robyn
    May 06, 2007 at 12:36pm
    @bridget: the web is global; radio waves have limited range it's like sunlight versus street light: if you want to plunge a neighboring country into a perpetual state of fear (as an act of terror? hmm...) you don't turn off your own street lights, these aren't illuminating another country's streets anyway! you find a way to block off their access to the sun :-) @mark: while your loyalty to free-market capitalism is to be lauded, I think you misunderstood this bill - the prior situation was that musicians could, if webradio was unable to afford their existing pricing schemes, voluntarily offer a percentage deal instead of a flat rate but the new situation DISALLOWS musicians from offering mutually acceptable deals, ultimately LOSING them money because the independents cannot afford these higher prices the proposed bill would RESTORE their (the musician's) rights to offer different pricing deals I personally, AS a singer, am in favor of negotiation: being able to decide between selling to someone at a reduced price THAT THEY CAN AFFORD, and not getting any money at ALL because they can't afford it! I also like the idea of percentage-based fee structures* because they scale to the success of the business; if the business doesn't make much, the fees will still be affordable, but if they make a LOT, the artists will see some of that and not be left wondering if they were cheated by some big record/label corps *http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-internet-radio-royalty-hike-delayed-last-chance-to-petition-congress.html
  5. pedro oller
    May 07, 2007 at 4:14am
    If buying music is possible by Itunes, why shouldn't I buy through pandora? The car selling companies are making real good marketing by the new "Experience-marketing-ideas". Tasting the product is loving it, the previous step to buying it... and the companies are really interested in selling, aren't they? SIGNED: A PANDORA ABSOLUT YONKI... REGARDS TO EVERYONE.
  6. Claude
    May 08, 2007 at 9:18am
    Woohoo! Tim, thanks for your tireless efforts on this. This may have been the first time i've actually called my representative's office on the phone. i hate to use this word, but it was kind of empowering.
  7. Colin
    May 08, 2007 at 12:04pm
    I'm planning to move to Australia and am gutted at the thought I will lose my Pandora. I have bought a number of CDs by artists I discovered on Pandora. These are CDs I would never have purchased but for hearing them on Pandora. Good luck in the future will all your endeavours.
  8. Nick
    May 09, 2007 at 5:55am
    I'm one of the lucky ones being in the UK and I still have access. The threat by the industry has convinced me that everyone - both musicians and consumers - are entirely at the mercy of evil corporate giants. It is the corporate giant and the major record labels that are killing music and replacing it with mass-produced noise performed by brain-dead puppets, which is why pop is so bad these days. The royalties increase is NOT for the benefit of musicians, it is purely so the executives can get rich quick. I urge ALL real musicians so sell music independently. I urge ALL consumers to hit the corporate giants where it hurts - and buy music directly from artists/small publishers where possible, otherwise the only option is to obtain it illegally.
  9. what
    May 09, 2007 at 12:46pm
    RIAA: You can thank the RIAA for this type of policy. The music industry wants to control what you listen to. If they control what you listen to they control what you buy. It is as simple as that. I am boycotting all of there music. I am only buying from independent artist from this day forward. I invite anyone who so desires to join me in this effort to say screw the RIAA! -What
  10. Kevin Seal
    May 10, 2007 at 12:38am
    Hi, all, Thanks for the kind words about our podcast, too. If you want to keeping hearing the podcast and you're not in the U.S., just subscribe via iTunes or Live Bookmarks or Bloglines or whatever feed-reader you want to use. Here's the feed: http://podcast.pandora.com/pandora/podcast