What a week! The outpouring of public support for internet radio over the past seven days has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Following our outreach to Pandora listeners, every congressional office was flooded with constituent phone calls, emails and faxes – literally hundreds of thousands in just 5 days! The entire fax system on the Hill was brought to a standstill. We had to hand deliver the faxes!
The response in DC has been dramatic and immediate. A bill was introduced today to reverse this terrible ruling and bring rationality to bear on this issue.
The bill is called the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 and is being introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL). For more info go to SaveNetRadio
Please take a moment to call your congress person to voice your support for this legislation and urge them to sponsor or support the bill. It’s very important the we keep pressure on the legislators to ensure that this bill is passed quickly.
If you need help determining who your member of the House of Representatives is, go to www.house.gov where, in the upper left hand corner, you can enter your zip code and get the corresponding Congressperson. Click on their name to access the main phone number of their Washington, D.C. office.
Also, a heads up that I’ll be hosting a town hall next Monday evening in the capital. We’ll be on the Hill meeting with representatives and are having a special meetup. It’ll be followed by an evening of music and a party hosted by the SaveNetRadio coalition. It’s a free event – and friends are welcome. Come join the army of webcasters, musicians, politicians and others that are driving this campaign for a night of music and conversation. Details:
Where: Be Bar , 1318 9th Street NW
When: Monday, April 30th @ 6:30 PM
RSVP: Send email to tim.westergren@pandora.com
Hope to see you there…
Thank you again for all of your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Tomasz Debkowski
    May 03, 2007 at 6:20am
    Best radio is when plays what I want to hear, according to my mood and taste. With Pandora I discovered musicians and records maybe I never would hear about. Many of them (CD's) are in my collection now. In my opinion limiting Pandora to States only in the end of the day will reduce incomes from record sales. Again the publishers, managers and other staff protects their stable incomes not carrying with musicians. As usual... But again thanks for a great idea, great project. Thomas - Poland
  2. Lorenz
    May 03, 2007 at 6:24am
    Hello, I am from Germany and I loved Pandora. I am programmer and system admin myself, so I know how much work is behind such a big and well functioning project. Despite of I won't get a chance to listen to your great radio, I wish you a nice time. Maybe we will see us again (I mean, I will listen to you). Hopefully and sincerely yours, ct. -.-
  3. ampmarq
    May 03, 2007 at 7:04am
    well, i used to listen to pandora. i even had passed some links to friends. sorry for the limited audition. best regards, ampmarq.
  4. Irish User
    May 03, 2007 at 7:58am
    I am in Ireland. Still I am able to access the service, whats going on, is the service stopping or not? Legally is using a proxy a valid method of operation?
  5. arnaud
    May 03, 2007 at 10:24am
    France vote for Pandora! I'm a french Pandora user and like the others people around the world I'm sad. Can't understand why, we canno't download we just discover new musics that can check with our musical flavours... I discovered very good sounds with Pandora (thanks a lot!), I'm very disapointed to know that I can no more listen it. I hope this service could be soon available here. Nice day @ll
  6. Jailyn
    May 03, 2007 at 11:08am
    Surely there is a way to maintain a profitable business model by moving Pandora up here to Canada and welcoming the international people back until the US gets its collective RIAA-BS act sorted out... Pandora has opened the musical spectrum wide open as far as discovering artists I enjoy, and I've gone on to purchase quite a few albums (both on iTunes and via Amazon) of those artists. I'd probably never have found them otherwise. So, if this is truly goodbye to Pandora for us, let it be remembered as an incredible service for listeners AND the musicians/songwriters whose music was played for a targeted, welcoming audience. Thanks to all who made it as fabulous as it is... (and there's always Canada. For now, anyway).
  7. Louise
    May 03, 2007 at 12:08pm
    Hi Tim, Until this very sad day of May 3 I was a Pandora listener. I discovered lot's of good music and because of that bought CD's of groups I like. Thank you for that. I do hope to be able to listen to Pandora again in the near future. It is very sad to discover that in these modern times of Internet, music industry still isn't as global as is should be and could be, with al it's national licensing constraints and national organisations protecting copyrights etc. I subscribe your statement that everyone is to be paid properly, but it shouldn't be so difficult to meet all regulations. Not only when you want to listen to music, but also if you want to perform music. Sometimes, there just are too many constraints, because of national and international legal differences. Greatings from The Netherlands
  8. David Castillo
    May 03, 2007 at 12:49pm
    Hello tim, im from Venezuela.. If you know the government from venezuela and the United Stated are Having a lot of problems today and like this pronunce about that only the people from the us can have pandora its absurd whit all respect that the american people deserved... I recibe a e mail from you and let me tell you that pandora means a lot to me you have no idea!!! i work to Hilton Caracas the 5 stars hotel!!! and the only thing that we hear on computers at work its pandora all the time and not only me!!! form the Manager to the Housekiping people!!! At home the only page that relax me its pandora because the quality of the sound its grate.. the first time that i went to www.pandora.com I knew that it was for me its easy to use and no proble to hear good music!!! i gonna i miss you pandora!!! i will go to usa next month and i will try to go to the main office of this grate page!!!! Tim i hope have and personal answer from you in the next days!!!! Gracias!!! David Castillo castillohots@hotmail.com
  9. Tim Westergren
    May 03, 2007 at 1:50pm
    For all those folks who have asked what they can do from outside the US. First, thanks for the support. Two things: 1. Call any friends you have living in the US and ask them to call their congressional representative urging them to support the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR2060. This rights issue in the US is having a very negative impact on the prospects internationally. 2. Rally support in your own countries for your political representatives to take action and create a centralized, statutory licensing body to allow companies like Pandora to get the rights we need. There has been much talk, but little action on this front across the world. Many thanks. Tim (Founder)
  10. Maggie
    May 03, 2007 at 4:39pm
    ATTN: Dominiek ..and anyone else interested in receiving a refund for subscription charges: Please contact Support at Pandora-Support [at] Pandora.com from the email address with which you subscribed and request a refund. Thanks so much!