What a week! The outpouring of public support for internet radio over the past seven days has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Following our outreach to Pandora listeners, every congressional office was flooded with constituent phone calls, emails and faxes – literally hundreds of thousands in just 5 days! The entire fax system on the Hill was brought to a standstill. We had to hand deliver the faxes!
The response in DC has been dramatic and immediate. A bill was introduced today to reverse this terrible ruling and bring rationality to bear on this issue.
The bill is called the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 and is being introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL). For more info go to SaveNetRadio
Please take a moment to call your congress person to voice your support for this legislation and urge them to sponsor or support the bill. It’s very important the we keep pressure on the legislators to ensure that this bill is passed quickly.
If you need help determining who your member of the House of Representatives is, go to www.house.gov where, in the upper left hand corner, you can enter your zip code and get the corresponding Congressperson. Click on their name to access the main phone number of their Washington, D.C. office.
Also, a heads up that I’ll be hosting a town hall next Monday evening in the capital. We’ll be on the Hill meeting with representatives and are having a special meetup. It’ll be followed by an evening of music and a party hosted by the SaveNetRadio coalition. It’s a free event – and friends are welcome. Come join the army of webcasters, musicians, politicians and others that are driving this campaign for a night of music and conversation. Details:
Where: Be Bar , 1318 9th Street NW
When: Monday, April 30th @ 6:30 PM
RSVP: Send email to tim.westergren@pandora.com
Hope to see you there…
Thank you again for all of your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Acelgafrita
    May 03, 2007 at 2:47am
    I'm so worried not to be able to hear Pandora Station anymore. I hope there will be finally some solution to this. Will it be possible for us, the banned ones, to access our bookmarked songs? I've been adding there many artists since 2005! Greetings from Spain
  2. Jordi
    May 03, 2007 at 2:48am
    Don't shut pandora please
  3. Bridget
    May 03, 2007 at 2:58am
    I would also just like to voice my support for Pandora, and hope that sometime in the future, the music industry wakes up to their archaic and small minded licensing/business model. What the heck is the difference between streaming music via web, and the radio waves?? Aren't a lot of radio stations streaming on the web simultaneously now anyway? (They are in New Zealand - said as I sit listening to a NZ station from my office in London!). Anyway, I hope to be listening to Pandora again... one day. Radio stations come and go, it's the music matching that made Pandora the best. Bridget, New Zealand / UK
  4. agente_naranja
    May 03, 2007 at 3:07am
    Hello fellas, i readed your email about blocking users from other countries, I am really sorry you have to do that, but anyway if you must...but thanks for all the time i was enjoying your service, you made me find a lot of great music. I hope in the future we could acces from any country... Bye bye! And great work with Pandora!
  5. navin
    May 03, 2007 at 3:11am
    hi, im a Pandora listener from Malaysia. of course, im really saddened by this new ruling and how it affects my frequent dose of great music on Pandora. but i would like to invite the Pandora team to come here and do your roadshow like the one you've been doing in the States. i think the main purpose here would be to educate people on this site and how others can get involved in providing great music across the world with fewer restrictions. i didnt know that the artists and the publishers get paid for their music. putting the artists first is the best thing you've done, Tim, kudos for that. i think its revolutionary how Pandora has reached so many people around the world and its a pity i wont be accessing that site anytime soon. thank you for everything. would love to hear more news on this. all the best, Pandora!
  6. B.
    May 03, 2007 at 3:54am
    I was sad to hear about the cut-off. I do wish you all the best, and hope that some time in the future you'll be able to stream globally again. Good luck!
  7. Simon
    May 03, 2007 at 3:56am
    French listeners are very disappointed too. Thank you Pandora. Bye. Simon
  8. jayne
    May 03, 2007 at 4:02am
    now i'm so very much saddened by this news. darn... i hope that the bill will not pass as i am so living OUTSIDE U.S and i absolutely love Pandora!! -weeps- and yeah...i've bought CSs after listening to some of the songs from Pandora coz i found out that i actually like some off-the-mainstream singers..
  9. claudiu
    May 03, 2007 at 4:16am
    Is there any hope for those of us outside the states?
  10. pepe jordana
    May 03, 2007 at 4:39am
    dear tim I just received your email anouncing there will be no more pandora outside the states from today march 3rd this is de most terrible email I've got in my entire life. I feel so sad and ungry. How can you block me because I listen from spain? Pandora is the most important thing I've discovered through the web. When I found it, I run to tell all my friends: musicians, moviemakers and just friends, musicloving friends. I got the same answer from all of them: "This is big". I still think pandora is the biggest invention in the www for musical meanings. musicians, songwriters, labels and publishers should see it in an oposite way. Pandora spreads their product. It is free marketing. Music lovers can discover new music from pandora and then push that music until it becomes a mass fenomenon. I have hundreds of vinils and I taped a lot of them for my friends. I have thousands of cds and I've copied a lot of them for my friends. Now I had pandora and I dont tape or burn. I just tell the friends to visit. And I keep on buying cds or itunes, like most of my friends do. please tell all thouse executives and lawers that they will lose money, my money, if they take pandora away from me. And I am sure a lot of other people will do the same: no new music to discover, no money to spend. Lets spend the money in other things. please, tell that people they are wrong, tell them again you are a helping hand to them, to their bussiness. But this time, say it in my name, please. And please keep me informed. Dont erase me. I want to be part of it when it rises again, brighter and powerfull, as I am sure it will do. I must say, anyway, congratulations for this great idea and all the effort put into it. thanks for this years of great companion and this enjoyable music experiment. regards pepe jordana spain