What a week! The outpouring of public support for internet radio over the past seven days has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Following our outreach to Pandora listeners, every congressional office was flooded with constituent phone calls, emails and faxes – literally hundreds of thousands in just 5 days! The entire fax system on the Hill was brought to a standstill. We had to hand deliver the faxes!
The response in DC has been dramatic and immediate. A bill was introduced today to reverse this terrible ruling and bring rationality to bear on this issue.
The bill is called the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 and is being introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL). For more info go to SaveNetRadio
Please take a moment to call your congress person to voice your support for this legislation and urge them to sponsor or support the bill. It’s very important the we keep pressure on the legislators to ensure that this bill is passed quickly.
If you need help determining who your member of the House of Representatives is, go to www.house.gov where, in the upper left hand corner, you can enter your zip code and get the corresponding Congressperson. Click on their name to access the main phone number of their Washington, D.C. office.
Also, a heads up that I’ll be hosting a town hall next Monday evening in the capital. We’ll be on the Hill meeting with representatives and are having a special meetup. It’ll be followed by an evening of music and a party hosted by the SaveNetRadio coalition. It’s a free event – and friends are welcome. Come join the army of webcasters, musicians, politicians and others that are driving this campaign for a night of music and conversation. Details:
Where: Be Bar , 1318 9th Street NW
When: Monday, April 30th @ 6:30 PM
RSVP: Send email to tim.westergren@pandora.com
Hope to see you there…
Thank you again for all of your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. bernd
    May 03, 2007 at 12:46am
    Music shouldnt be blocked by stupid licences. It seems that the dinosaurs are fighting against their inevitable extinction. I am from Germany and enjoyed your service very much. Cheers!
  2. Wendy Fages
    May 03, 2007 at 12:52am
    So today is the day - no more Pandora in France. I discovered Pandora late, it was only about a year ago I began to build playlists. What Pandora offers, this incredible treat of custom made commercial free music, really made a difference in my life. I am so sorry it won't be possible anymore. Ten years ago in France the state put a statute on the percentage of non-French music played on the air. Radio stations had to observe 50 percent French and 50 percent other. There are some good artists here, but as far as "other" - British music dominates the 50% and not all of us like mainstream music coming from the states anyway. So I rarely heard the bands that I love the most played on the air. Methinks your attempts to launch the service over here will not be easy. I wish you much luck in the attempt!! Its all about talking to the right person over here. Most are programmed to just say "Non, c'est impossible!" but there are a few others who actually can think outside the box! Meanwhile, thank you Pandora for providing this gift of music to me, I was aware it was not for overseas listeners, and yet you did let me listen for as long as you could and I really really enjoyed every minute of it!! That's my two cents - US national in France.
  3. Dennis de Vries
    May 03, 2007 at 1:10am
    Ahw, man. This sucks! Being from the Netherlands, pandora will be cut of here as well. Like anyone else, pandora offered me a lot of new music i never heard anywhere else and lots of cd's i bought lately (yeh, bought. Like...paying for it, quite a lot, in a shop) are from bands i heard here. No more of that. But i'm wondering. You are an american company, and i assume you run your site from an american server. So when i (in The Netherlands) log in on pandora i'm actually listening music from an american server. Doesn't that mean i'm avoiding dutch legislation, and use the US-license instead? In that case...i should still be able to listen pandora. Shouldn't I? Shouldn't I? Please? Dennis.
  4. Oana
    May 03, 2007 at 1:22am
    I am very, very sad for not being able to listen to Pandora anymore. You helped me discover great music and I also appreciate your manner of communicating this bad news, actually the way in which you generally connect and comunicate with your listeners. I also loved podcast series and band and albums reviews. Looking forward for listening to Pandora again. Regards from Romania.
  5. jan
    May 03, 2007 at 1:24am
    Thank you Tim for Pandora! I bought more cd's in Holland and Finland because of Pandora. Can anybody post info about getting my IP invisible or re-routing via the u.s.. Cause I can't live without Pandora. Riaa: As of now I will stop buying american artists until this ban is gone.
  6. vlad
    May 03, 2007 at 1:29am
    It seems that Pandora's box does not deny its myth. There is only hope left. A listener from Romania.
  7. TotoX
    May 03, 2007 at 1:33am
    I'm a french listener and I sad to say that but after more than one year of happiness with Pandora I 'm now using an other website which apparently don't have the same legals problems. Anyway you have all my support and friendship...Hope see u soon
  8. Dominiek
    May 03, 2007 at 1:38am
    Where can I ask for a refund?
  9. michele
    May 03, 2007 at 1:53am
    thanks from naples...for anything...
  10. Yvonne
    May 03, 2007 at 2:24am
    Hi, I'm from the Netherlands and read the sad news only half an hour ago. Of course, there are other ways to discover good music, but I will greatly miss Pandora. There are artists I would have never heard of without Pandora :) Hope you'll find a way to broadcast overseas again!