What a week! The outpouring of public support for internet radio over the past seven days has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Following our outreach to Pandora listeners, every congressional office was flooded with constituent phone calls, emails and faxes – literally hundreds of thousands in just 5 days! The entire fax system on the Hill was brought to a standstill. We had to hand deliver the faxes!
The response in DC has been dramatic and immediate. A bill was introduced today to reverse this terrible ruling and bring rationality to bear on this issue.
The bill is called the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 and is being introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL). For more info go to SaveNetRadio
Please take a moment to call your congress person to voice your support for this legislation and urge them to sponsor or support the bill. It’s very important the we keep pressure on the legislators to ensure that this bill is passed quickly.
If you need help determining who your member of the House of Representatives is, go to www.house.gov where, in the upper left hand corner, you can enter your zip code and get the corresponding Congressperson. Click on their name to access the main phone number of their Washington, D.C. office.
Also, a heads up that I’ll be hosting a town hall next Monday evening in the capital. We’ll be on the Hill meeting with representatives and are having a special meetup. It’ll be followed by an evening of music and a party hosted by the SaveNetRadio coalition. It’s a free event – and friends are welcome. Come join the army of webcasters, musicians, politicians and others that are driving this campaign for a night of music and conversation. Details:
Where: Be Bar , 1318 9th Street NW
When: Monday, April 30th @ 6:30 PM
RSVP: Send email to tim.westergren@pandora.com
Hope to see you there…
Thank you again for all of your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. dep
    April 27, 2007 at 8:59am
    If you're lazy and want a template to send your representative, you can copy/paste mine :) I think it's applicable: ***** I just wanted to write to voice my support for the Internet Radio Equality Act. I want to urge you to sponsor and support this legislation, as it is very important for artists and musicians all over the world. As a consumer, I have discovered music through sites like pandora.com that I would have never discovered before. I then bought their albums, merchandise, and attended concerts -- things that never would have happened without Pandora. They are doing a great service to the music industry and would be unable to continue under these new, outrageous fees. Thank you for your sponsorship and support. Best of luck! *****
  2. Donna
    April 27, 2007 at 9:11am
    Hey Tim, Great news. See ya Monday here in DC! Donna
  3. Lewis
    April 27, 2007 at 10:48am
    This is absolutely great news. I hope everyone will lend their support.
  4. gabe
    April 27, 2007 at 12:38pm
    internet radio was born dead. pandora and lastfm stand some chance because the user thinks he can choose the music he will hear. internet radio that have to imitate the lack of choice from regular radio is nothing to be saved. sad but true. See ya.
  5. Jon B
    April 27, 2007 at 12:45pm
    I used the SaveNetRadio email system. It works! My representative sent me a reply early this week. He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but would keep our interests in mind. I'm going to reply directly to him and ask him to support this legislation. People... the system can work! Contact your legislators now and ask them to save Internet radio.
  6. iggi
    April 27, 2007 at 2:30pm
    Great news, i did get a letter back too. I live in Argentina but hell, this pandora system kicks any radios ass! PS: Hey, Lewis: I don't get a chance to listen to unlimited reggae in a normal radio stations o do you? The sad true is only YOUR sad true. peace out!
  7. Mark
    April 27, 2007 at 6:48pm
    This bill is a very bad idea. If you can't get the music owners to voluntarily sell their music to you at a price you find acceptable, the answer is not to force them to do it. It's their music. Would you want YOUR customers calling the government if they don't like your pricing?
  8. brad.
    April 27, 2007 at 6:51pm
    firstly. Lewis, you're an idiot. secondly. excellent work tim et al! a truly impressive response from informed and responsible users. fight the power! brad.
  9. Kris
    April 27, 2007 at 7:13pm
    Living in Norway my ability to assist is sadly weakened, but i can say however that such RIAA troubles dont really exist to that degree over here so wouldnt it be a possiblity to move the server to a different country but to allow the people in charge of the site to remain in charge of the site? would protect it wouldnt it?
  10. peter
    April 27, 2007 at 8:51pm
    SaveNetRadio.org have this useful page -- enter your zipcode and it tells you your representative's name, phone number, and talking points: http://www3.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/callalert/index.tt?alertid=9679516&type=TA