The “Musicology Show” is back, with a new show about jazz drumming. Pandora music analyst Jeff Anthony pulls back the curtain on our jazz genome to show us the signature styles of Elvin Jones, Tony Williams and “Philly Joe” Jones — arguably three of the greatest drummers who ever picked up sticks.

This show was edited and recorded by Tyler Brown at Bellboy Recording, a studio that has served as home to many fine Bay Area jazz recordings.

As always, it’s free to subscribe to “The Musicology Show” in iTunes or in any other feedcatcher (Google Reader, Juice, etc.)

Just scroll down on the main podcast page to hear those 50 earlier episodes, or jump straight to the category pages for Composition, Styles, Singing, Instruments and Rhythm.

Comments

1. Peter
    August 10, 2010 at 11:10am
    Jazz really lightens up my life, Pandora is great, so thank you for this post. Keep on making that music!!!
  2. Joe
    September 06, 2010 at 8:11pm
    Elvin Jones is an awesome and inspiring drummer. Thanks!
  3. Dave
    October 10, 2010 at 10:49pm
    I really love Elvin Jones, What a fantastic drummer!!
  4. anime
    October 28, 2010 at 4:40am
    Awesome jazz drum lessons and resources to play the drums. Tons of information on how to drum like a professional drummer including tips and secrets on how to play various styles of jazz and Bebop, Jazz Waltz, Latin and fusion jazz with the definitions of key terminology and usage, reproduction the ride cymbal for jazz, playing with a "two" feel, the ride and independence, the shape and structure of jazz, and more. Jazz drum lessons in the books and DVD
  5. Cupcake Chef
    November 07, 2010 at 9:23pm
    "Elvin Jones is a huge inspiration to thousands of drummers. His drum solos and creative expression is mesmerizing. How he could stay in the pocket and float around "time" still keeps me listening to him. Thank you and keep up the shows." I could not agree more. Plus, drumming is like flipping a switch on the human soul. It's pure music from within...primal and passionate. Sigh...
  6. Jazz Music
    November 22, 2010 at 12:18am
    I really like jeff anthoy's music. I'm fond of his music tracks. thanks for sharing with us.
  7. Davina
    November 22, 2010 at 11:21am
    The Musicology Show rocks. I am now an iTunes subscriber. Great Work Guys
  8. Generators
    November 24, 2010 at 9:10am
    He is my favourite! I want to become his student! :)
  9. oyun oyna
    November 28, 2010 at 5:52am
    One of my best friends has made a living out of online radio. It gave him and his band an opportunity that would otherwise never have been possible. Is this happens in your country who is to say it is not going to have a flow on effect here in Aus. I am against it as much as you are!
  10. Carlos snow thrower