melody parker
podcast_mic.jpgOur new show is all about words. How do your favorite lyricists choose those lines and phrases that hit you square in the chest? Why do older words have a different effect than newer additions to the dictionary? How can sense imagery go beyond sight, smell, taste and touch, into the territory of position, motion and proximity? Michael Zapruder joins me to tackle these issues and more, using examples from such songwriters as Eminem, Joni Mitchell, Why?, Shane MacGowan from the Pogues, Dr. Octagon, Clipse, Leonard Cohen and David Berman from the Silver Jews.
All of our free original shows are there to hear and watch at the homepage for Pandora Presents… Pandora.com/show.

Comments

1. DeAnn
    November 11, 2007 at 3:34pm
    love the music it helps me get ready for my day.thank you and God Bless You!
  2. DeAnn
    November 11, 2007 at 3:37pm
    I really love the music I'm a gospel fan and the music really helps me get ready for my day ThankYou and God Bless!
  3. rosa
    November 11, 2007 at 8:15pm
    I cant seem to find any songs from casting crown or other christian song writers?
  4. Kevin Seal
    November 11, 2007 at 9:06pm
    Thanks, DeAnn! Rosa, there's definitely plenty of gospel music on Pandora. It could be that we just don't have that particular act yet. Please email pandora-support@pandora.com with any suggestions you have for music that we haven't sufficiently covered in the Genome. Thanks.
  5. chris
    November 12, 2007 at 9:09am
    Potluck is a great band it needs to be added to the project
  6. Starr Frazier
    November 14, 2007 at 8:17am
    Hi I'm so glad you came along. I was despairing of ever hearing some of the music I heard in just one day. I would like to hear a lot more of Oleta and Yoland Adams on my stations that promote them and my Spinners channel. I like most of the music that I heard but I would like to listen to the whole CD in a mix on my stations. Can this be arranged?
  7. krist
    November 14, 2007 at 2:44pm
    kevin that was 4 u
  8. Kevin Seal
    November 14, 2007 at 5:36pm
    Hi, Starr, There isn't a way to hear an entire CD from your collection within one of your stations per se, but you can add each of the songs from that CD as individual station seeds, and each of those songs will show up at some point. Would that help? Hello, Kristy!
  9. Sal Paradise
    November 14, 2007 at 9:06pm
    I'm Irish by heritage. All we do is sing, cry, fight and drink. Lyrics are supremely important to me. Not pretty lyrics, but TRUE, MEANINGFUL lyrics. Ever so often one stumbles upon an artist who's instrumental arrangements match perfectly the lyrical content of the song ( Lou Reeds "Heroin" and "Sweet Jane" come to mind). Not pretty or pleasant songs, buy honest songs, lyrically and instrumentally. Bob Dylan also often fits this catagory. I once read a rare comment from my personal favorite poet/arranger, Van Morrison. " Yeah, sometimes the words are heavy and hurtful, maybe uplifting, maybe even autobiographical, but alot of times I just put words together to fit the meter of the music and all you twits strain to interpret what I mean. All I mean is I like the way those words sound together. Don't try to make it say something it doesn't say"
  10. ome
    November 15, 2007 at 3:11pm
    music is more than fancy words or silly lyrical lies...it is the feeling it leaves inside you, the way a song stays trapped inside your thoughts, almost enrapt to every hint of theraputic realism. music is a state of being...the words keep you with either the catchieness or the way it stays with you even if it is only a few lines...but to me music is life...whether it be the instruments such as rockin' bass or hardcore drums, and the voice has to have a deepness in every hollow, not like deep soprano, but a deep feeling...that is music and lyrics...