Here’s the last in our series of blog posts that showcase some of the musical works of our Music Analysts. As you know, every song you listen to on Pandora has been carefully analyzed by our trained staff, to figure out its building blocks so that it can be matched to other songs. But in addition to analyzing songs for Pandora, they play music. I’ve been posting a few of the Pandora stations on which you can hear some of our Music Analysts, which as you have probably noticed, represents quite a range of styles. Take a listen! (click here for the first , second , third, and fourth Analyst spotlights.)
Alan Lin can be found playing the violin on a variety of stations! You can find him playing with Pandora staff, such as Ariah Firefly and Michael Zapruder’s Rain of Frogs. Here’s three more artists whose Pandora stations feature Alan’s work: Etienne de Rocher plays catchy-but-intelligent pop music from the swamps of Alabama, with a large helping of soul. David Hopkins, a school-mate of Damien Rice’s, writes beautiful, heart-wrenching love songs as well as catchy ditties. Noe Venable is a sonic poet that a music reviewer once declared to be the secret love-child of Tom Waits and Rickie Lee Jones.
The group made up of the most Pandorans is called Michael Zapruder’s Rain of Frogs. In addition to non-Pandora musicians, this talented group consists of Steve Hogan (pictured below), Jeff Anthony, Kurt Kotheimer (who’s also in 24 Hr USA), Alan Lin, Yair Evnine, Josh Smith and obviously, Michael Zapruder. You should come to their CD release party on August 17th, at Cafe du Nord in San Francisco. Their CD features beautifully written moody songs with deeply interesting lyrics. Their mellow sound showcases lots of strings, sometimes horns, and reminds me at times of Elvis Costello or Rufus Wainwright.
hogan.jpg
This is Steve Hogan, our head Music Analyst and stellar human being. In this photo he’s in our music library, playing that Sesame Street song, “These are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood……” He had sung it to his baby as a lullaby the night before (without the accordion!), and the tune just stuck in his head.
It’s been really fun for me to learn a bit more about the musical efforts of my co-workers, though you’d be surprised how hard it was to get many of them to offer up information about their bands. These are some talented cats, and you know what they say about herding cats…. I hope that you, dear listener, enjoyed getting to know the music of some of our Analysts as well; there’s so much music in our collection to try out! Get to it!
cheers, Lucia

Comments

1. Albert Rapp
    August 16, 2006 at 10:08am
    Would you ever consider taking the text into the account? F. ex. I love Shel Silverstein, but only for his funny texts. I would never listen to him for the sake of his music.
  2. Fais Karma
    August 16, 2006 at 1:23pm
    Man oh man have you guys got a great ear!! I'm from London and this project is so in synch with what is needed. I hope you guys fall asleep with a smile on your face! Peace and much love. A very happy, chilled and appreciative Fais!
  3. Sam
    August 16, 2006 at 3:12pm
    Pandora was recommended to me by a friend and it has become my new best friend whilst on rehab downtime in London. I like what you've done with it and that you can't force it to play any particular song. It's a fantastic tool for discovery, which I daresay was the primary aim. One suggestion that springs to mind after a day or so of use, once you have created various stations for different tastes in music (as I have done, I can't speak for others) would it be possible to implement something that allows you to check what artists you have manually added, so you don't add the same one twice? Or have something let you know that you are trying to add an artist on multiple occasions? Oh and, is there anyway you can implement a function for artist suggestions? I've tried adding some German artists without success and would love to add them to Pandora. Fantastic idea, brilliant work, please keep it up! Many thanks. Sam
  4. reelseasick
    August 17, 2006 at 5:19am
    How about a remember that song option as songs are played, to create a list of my favorites of favorites so later I can go and download the mp3's of those songs from your website. You can even make a few bucks!
  5. Mucaro
    August 17, 2006 at 8:49am
    Great stuff guys, after finding a load of new names to get my ehh ears into. Have sent it on at work to others who love it too. I know it's streaming so this probably isn't possible but the option to go back to songs you've just heard would be really cool. And say, I was looking for funk songs, could it just throw up a random selection of funk songs instead of songs with funk in the title. Keep up the good work
  6. seana
    August 17, 2006 at 11:38am
    Hi Sam, I'm glad to say that we do have the feature you're suggesting. To bookmark a song, mouse over the album cover that appears in the tuner window, then click the up arrow and choose bookmark song on the resulting menu. You can then see a list of your bookmarked songs (and even hear snippets of them) on your profile page. Enjoy! Seana
  7. Msaligned
    August 17, 2006 at 12:08pm
    I can't tell you how wonderful Pandora is! My musical tasts are a little unusual, not at all mainstream, and I stopped listening to music radio years ago, because there were no stations that I could stand, not even on satellite. However, with your service I can not only listen to the songs I like, but I can find new ones, too. That's been a problem...my friends tease me that I haven't heard a new artist since 1975! While that is indeed an exaggeration, it's only a small one. One suggestion, if I may be so bold: I have set up stations that are quite exclusive, very narrow in their focus. Sometimes a song will play on one station that I really like, but it doesn't fit with the style I have selected for that station. It would be nice if there were an option for, "Don't play this song on THIS station, but do play it on this OTHER station." Keep up the wonderful work!
  8. kim
    August 17, 2006 at 5:24pm
    Aloha, Please add different Hawaiian genre to your selections. For example, slack key, Jawaiian, oldies, contemporary, etc. Also, please add Hawaii to your tour.
  9. Holger
    August 19, 2006 at 4:46am
    Hi together! I am a 40 year young guy from Germany with a not good english writing. My apologizes for this! But i have to write to you that i am becoming a big fan of the Pandora Idee for the last weeks. It is awsome how great is work and how many new musik i have found thru it! It would be very interesting to know how Pandora is useing outside the USA. But so far many many thank for this great work!!! cheers... Holger
  10. bigredlancer
    August 19, 2006 at 9:43pm
    I asked Pandora for songs by the artist Damita Jo (Dublanc), specically, the song, "If you go away". No joy; Pandora said it did not recognize her...