Here’s the last in our series of blog posts that showcase some of the musical works of our Music Analysts. As you know, every song you listen to on Pandora has been carefully analyzed by our trained staff, to figure out its building blocks so that it can be matched to other songs. But in addition to analyzing songs for Pandora, they play music. I’ve been posting a few of the Pandora stations on which you can hear some of our Music Analysts, which as you have probably noticed, represents quite a range of styles. Take a listen! (click here for the first , second , third, and fourth Analyst spotlights.)
Alan Lin can be found playing the violin on a variety of stations! You can find him playing with Pandora staff, such as Ariah Firefly and Michael Zapruder’s Rain of Frogs. Here’s three more artists whose Pandora stations feature Alan’s work: Etienne de Rocher plays catchy-but-intelligent pop music from the swamps of Alabama, with a large helping of soul. David Hopkins, a school-mate of Damien Rice’s, writes beautiful, heart-wrenching love songs as well as catchy ditties. Noe Venable is a sonic poet that a music reviewer once declared to be the secret love-child of Tom Waits and Rickie Lee Jones.
The group made up of the most Pandorans is called Michael Zapruder’s Rain of Frogs. In addition to non-Pandora musicians, this talented group consists of Steve Hogan (pictured below), Jeff Anthony, Kurt Kotheimer (who’s also in 24 Hr USA), Alan Lin, Yair Evnine, Josh Smith and obviously, Michael Zapruder. You should come to their CD release party on August 17th, at Cafe du Nord in San Francisco. Their CD features beautifully written moody songs with deeply interesting lyrics. Their mellow sound showcases lots of strings, sometimes horns, and reminds me at times of Elvis Costello or Rufus Wainwright.
hogan.jpg
This is Steve Hogan, our head Music Analyst and stellar human being. In this photo he’s in our music library, playing that Sesame Street song, “These are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood……” He had sung it to his baby as a lullaby the night before (without the accordion!), and the tune just stuck in his head.
It’s been really fun for me to learn a bit more about the musical efforts of my co-workers, though you’d be surprised how hard it was to get many of them to offer up information about their bands. These are some talented cats, and you know what they say about herding cats…. I hope that you, dear listener, enjoyed getting to know the music of some of our Analysts as well; there’s so much music in our collection to try out! Get to it!
cheers, Lucia

Comments

1. Lucia @ Pandora
    August 01, 2006 at 12:57pm
    Thanks for all the comments, guys! Cynthia: World music will come, don't worry! cheers, Lucia
  2. stephanie
    August 01, 2006 at 1:21pm
    thanks you for all your hard work and efforts! i have so enjoyed pandora - i am a new mom and pretty much on the day i found out i was prego - fell out of my music life. Not to mention trying to find new music these days in my new busy life is difficult until my friend told me to check your project out. thank goodness - now i do not have to listen to local radio stations in my house (who never really seem to play the variety i want) thank you for helping me spend my money wisely and helping enjoy new music plus my old favs.
  3. Carl
    August 03, 2006 at 2:46pm
    It's truly great to have this. Revolutionary. But...why all the live tracks? Why not the original "Down By the River" instead of the renunion tour released 20 years after the fact? Why the Who tracks from Live at Leeds rather than the original? Or is this just a quirk of the moment? Also, I've had two Clash songs -- both from Clash on Broadway, the best of, and both previously unreleased tracks. Why not album tracks? Are there legal limitations here? It's the one downside to an excellent, excellent service. And this is from a musician with several albums on three different major and two indie labels who wonders how he can get his music here....
  4. Jay Stang
    August 06, 2006 at 5:59pm
    First, love Pandora! It is the most awesome website ever. Are y'all going to put some classical on Pandora? If Bach was well represented I would be in Heaven. Later
  5. chris
    August 08, 2006 at 7:46pm
    this is a great set up but you should make it easier to find specific songs and access them as like a personel top twenty station or sumthing. that would make me really happy. thanks u guys are doin great!ace
  6. Brendah DeBow
    August 13, 2006 at 7:09pm
    Hi Tim and all, I want to thank you all again for Pandora. I have been exposed to musicians that I would have never known of. I have so so many favorites. My latest discovery thank to Pandora is Eva Cassidy. She has the voice of an Angel. I live to hear her sing "How can I keep from singing". Oh how I love that song! I listen to hear it daily. Thank you for taking me back home to my "Roots" of Gospel Music. I listen all day. Thank you so much and may God Bless you for your good works. You are a Blessing to me. Your biggest fan with songs in my heart. Brendah C. DeBow
  7. matt
    August 15, 2006 at 9:38am
    I love the pandora stumbled on it the other day what a great way to listen to new music i might not have ever listened to.So much music so little time great job thank you very much mat x.
  8. Pumpky
    August 15, 2006 at 1:05pm
    Hello. I think that when you enter in a song in the station thing, you should be able to listen to that song, becuase I'm up for finding new music I like and all, but i would really like to be able to listen to a certain song that I already know and love. So I think that when you enter the song, that perticular song should be the first one to play. And also if not that, then you should be able to skip as many songs as you like in one hour. It gets really annoying having to wait through it all. But besides those two things, I like it.
  9. matt
    August 15, 2006 at 2:31pm
    Wow Guys!!! This site is crazy!!! You guys will go very far!! Im your most satisfied customer!!! Thanks!! Viva Pandora!!!
  10. ken ryan
    August 16, 2006 at 7:18am
    I just found out about your site, and i think it is great. I have already given it to several of my friends. The music is very clear and consise. I'm waiting for you to connect to classical music as that is one of my favorite's. Keep up the good work and thanks for the beautiful music. Ken Ryan