UPDATE: The House bill passed! Read more.
Thanks to everyone who has been calling over the past 24 hours – we’ve heard from many offices that calls have been raining in. The House vote is coming up this afternoon. The NAB is trying furiously to derail the bill. This has become a direct fight between the lobbying power of the large broadcasters and the collective voice of constituents.
Congressional staff are in their offices all weekend, so it’s not too late to call your representative. Please note – TELEPHONE CALLS ARE WHAT COUNT. Our allies in Washington tell us that a direct phone call from a constituent is the most substantial sign of support. Emails are generally discounted as they are considered too easy to write, and often automated.
We’ll let you know as soon as we know more. If we prevail in the House, the Senate is next…
Tim

Comments

1. N
    September 27, 2008 at 11:49am
    I called my Calif. Congresswoman and told her that my 401K is in the toilet so don't take my music!
  2. MacBernac
    September 27, 2008 at 12:42pm
    I tried calling my US/MN Rep John Kline and was unable to leave a voicemail due to the mailbox being full! I have left a message on the contact form on his website; I only hope he reads it!
  3. Chris Mcgrath
    September 27, 2008 at 1:32pm
    awesome once we win this battle we need to start working on bringing pandora back to canada last.fm is in canada why not pandora
  4. Asif
    September 27, 2008 at 1:44pm
    Tim, If this is so important, please put it on the home page or at least provide a prominent link to it from the home page.
  5. Derek Nicoletto from Telling on Trixie
    September 27, 2008 at 1:53pm
    I just called Congressman Nadler from my district in the West Village of Manhattan and introduced myself as a songwriter in an independent band Telling on Trixie. The guy who answered the phone said "Let me guess, you want to support 7084. I said, "Yes, please." He said, great, and they were glad I called. I'm calling everyone I know right now.
  6. Derek Thorson
    September 27, 2008 at 2:36pm
    Voiced my support with my representative, Bill Foster, and also one of my two senators, Dick Durbin. Should I waste bandwidth on sending something to Obama?
  7. Garrett
    September 27, 2008 at 3:19pm
    I would really like it if this was explained a little better. I mean, I would absolutely be willing to do my part to help Pandora - but your explanation of the impact of this bill is VERY vague! Can you just give us a "if 'they' (NAB?) wins, this will happen" and a "if we (Pandora, the people) win, this will happen instead!"? Please explain a bit more in a new blog update! P.S. I also called and left my congressman John Campbell a voicemail. I told him I'm no law-talkin guy, but he is, and he should look into house bill 7084. I also said, I don't like normal radio much, because I like to hit skip when that top 40 song comes on. I'd really like it if these internet radio people can keep doing what they're doing. Thanks.
  8. peter
    September 27, 2008 at 4:15pm
    just got a call in to jim mcdermott's office. guy on the line said they just got another call expressing support for the bill. seattle <3 pandora
  9. Pat
    September 27, 2008 at 4:49pm
    My Congressman's voicemail box is full (Jim Reichert, WA state).
  10. Andrew
    September 27, 2008 at 5:10pm
    I called Betty McCollum and left a message saying that having to listen to the nearly-monopolistic terrestrial radio all the time would make me sad, and that supporting the bill would encourage artists to keep making new and interesting stuff. Here's hoping this bill passes.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )