Sound the trumpets! Pandora and the Music Genome Project now officially include a great collection of classical recordings from across all of the major periods of classical music… and we are furiously adding more. For all those of you who typed ‘Mozart’, we can now promise you a musical reply 🙂
On Tuesday night we held a launch party for Classical music at the Regency Center in San Francisco. What a special evening it was, including, for lack of a more descriptive term, a three-dimensional Pandora performance, video to follow soon. About 300 people came for a night of ‘live Pandora’ in the capable hands of our chief musicologist Nolan Gasser,the 36-piece Jubilate Orchestra from our hometown of Oakland, and former lead trumpeter for the Canadian brass, Jens Lindemann. And suitably sponsored by our great partner Bose.
ClassicalLaunch1.jpg
What a great evening. Great food, conversation, and music. We hope this will be the beginning of a long and rich relationship with classical music and the world that surrounds it. Rather than try to describe the event, I’ll let the video do the talking. In the meantime, feast yourselves on Pandora’s new, 20,000 recording-strong and fast growing collection of classical tunes.
Enjoy!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. psy
    November 30, 2007 at 11:31am
    Hooray!! Now I'm in a quandary: I want to start exploring classical on pandora but I don't want to stop the great quickmix I'm listening to now. Maybe you could play a lousy tune so I can move on to classical! ;) ok, new tune coming up...nope. This one's great too!
  2. Emily
    November 30, 2007 at 12:15pm
    I am happy to find classical music as a new option on Pandora, but I agree with some earlier comments about the LENGTH of the piece. As a classical musician, I find it a bit odd to just hear an "Adagio" from a symphony or quartet without the rest of the piece. Since commercial radio stations almost always play the entire piece, why can't Pandora? If listeners want to hear a greater variety of music, then perhaps there could be two options: track by track mix or piece by piece. This would satisfy more traditional listeners like myself who dislike the "jilted" feeling of Pandora's classical offerings, while offering other listeners the chance to expand their knowledge of classical composers' work. Thanks for the amazing service that you are providing!
  3. laura
    December 02, 2007 at 12:45pm
    Hooray for classical--now you have completely rounded out my study music, and given me options for great workplace music! I wonder though, could you possibly add a movie soundtrack option? I was looking for Jean-Yves Tibaudet (Pride and Prejudice) and couldn't find it--but that would be a fun option to have. Not having soundtracks leaves a gap in orchestral and big band compostitions...
  4. Randomotion
    December 04, 2007 at 11:12pm
    I vacationed at Sedona AZ recently and hiked the RED ROCKS there. It is MOST BEAUTIFUL there. I am making a DVD mixing music with my still pictures. I discovered NATIVE AMERICAN music and it is a wonderful mix of old and new. For instance you might want to listen to Shelley Morningsong's album OUT OF THE ASHES. Pure Art. For a glimpse go to www.shelleymorningsong.com Right now listening to my Billy Joel channel on Pandora. God Bless Pandora's founder and team !!
  5. Jay Williams
    December 05, 2007 at 2:55pm
    This is indeed great news! I enjoy a broad spectrum of music styles, and It was really a shame that Classical was left out in the cold. Now I can listen to Pandora even more! The only thing that would make it better is the ability to pay for "Premium" high quality audio streams. Then I could enjoy the classical music in all its glory. Keep up the great work!
  6. edith
    December 07, 2007 at 10:46am
    Yay! :-)
  7. Peter
    December 14, 2007 at 10:59pm
    Pandora classical music is the best thing to happen to late night studying (and cooking, cleaning, newspaper reading, etc.) since Minnesota Public Radio. Awesome! Thanks so much for adding classical music.
  8. Jason
    December 26, 2007 at 10:37am
    What a pleasant surprise when I typed 'Beethoven' (not for the first time) and it worked! I agree with others that this would be much more compelling if it were possible to listen to a whole piece at once. Hearing a string of scattered middle movements makes me feel like I'm missing something. Thanks again for this music, and I look forward to seeing the service develop.
  9. Bob-Tuba
    December 30, 2007 at 7:13pm
    I can't add any pieces as "song" feeds, because I can't find anything in the database. Even stuff I *know* is in there. I've listened to movements of Tchaikovski's 4th and 5th symphonies, but I double-dare you to try to add Tchaikovski's Symphony No. 4 or Symphony No. 5 -- or any of the movements -- or the Meistersinger or Academic Festival Overture ... Also, I have a station in which I've used Tchaikovski as the artist feed and thumb-uped five-eighths of the movements of Tchaikovski's 4th and 5th symphonies, only, but -- despite hours and hours of listening -- I can't get Pandora to play any of the other three movements, despite having thumbed-down several string quartets. If I *can't* get Pandora to play the movements, and I *can't* add them directly, how am I ever going to get to the point where I have all of the movements of Tchaikovski's 4th and 5th symphonies thumb-uped, and I can move on to replacing Tchaikovski, in the artist feed, with Richard Wagner. I'll try adding Lohengrin or Ride of the Walkieries -- (I'll Google for the correct spellings) -- but I expect I'll strike out again. Not being able to add classical pieces as "song" feeds is frustrating. Has anyone been able to find any classical pieces in the database to add them as "song" feeds? -- "... did it have to be so hard?" -- Pink Floyd, The Wall
  10. Amit Singh
    January 03, 2008 at 4:53pm
    Love Pandora. Thank you. Any chance that you'll add Indian Bollywood music to the collection?

Reply to George Showman Cancel Reply