Sound the trumpets! Pandora and the Music Genome Project now officially include a great collection of classical recordings from across all of the major periods of classical music… and we are furiously adding more. For all those of you who typed ‘Mozart’, we can now promise you a musical reply 🙂
On Tuesday night we held a launch party for Classical music at the Regency Center in San Francisco. What a special evening it was, including, for lack of a more descriptive term, a three-dimensional Pandora performance, video to follow soon. About 300 people came for a night of ‘live Pandora’ in the capable hands of our chief musicologist Nolan Gasser,the 36-piece Jubilate Orchestra from our hometown of Oakland, and former lead trumpeter for the Canadian brass, Jens Lindemann. And suitably sponsored by our great partner Bose.
ClassicalLaunch1.jpg
What a great evening. Great food, conversation, and music. We hope this will be the beginning of a long and rich relationship with classical music and the world that surrounds it. Rather than try to describe the event, I’ll let the video do the talking. In the meantime, feast yourselves on Pandora’s new, 20,000 recording-strong and fast growing collection of classical tunes.
Enjoy!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Anne
    November 20, 2007 at 6:49am
    YAY! Now I've got Mozart!!! SO so glad classical is here!!! I have told tons of folks about Pandora.com!
  2. scarpia
    November 20, 2007 at 6:54am
    You proved my point once again - Pandora is the greatest thing on the internet right now, and it keeps getting better!
  3. Bob Sutton
    November 20, 2007 at 7:06am
    At last! Music for mornings! I can only wonder if your genomic analysis of classical music will lead me to new discoveries as your other selections have. Since my very first listen, I have never been disappointed. Now, if Santa can come through with my Slim Transporter, I'll get Pandora all over the house... Many thanks!
  4. Doug
    November 20, 2007 at 7:27am
    Bravo! Well done. Thank you, thank you.
  5. Egaeus
    November 20, 2007 at 10:57am
    You finally tackled the monster! Awesome. A coworker and fellow music enthusiast were lamenting the absence of classical recently. I'm glad to see that you didn't forget.
  6. Dwight Heath
    November 20, 2007 at 12:02pm
    Wow. I just listened to Mahlers Symphony #1. I must say, PANDORA presents the absolute clearest signal on the web. I'm real picky about music and whethr it's Enigma, Journey, Iron Maiden or Mahler it is clear as a bell. Once again I'm blown away. Dwight
  7. Paul Hsieh
    November 20, 2007 at 5:14pm
    How come I am not invited? This could be the biggest news in music history. Pandora's selection of music is excellent and the POOLing is much better than Slacker or Last FM. Now you are in classical field, I just know you can do a much better job than the other guys... Way to go, Pandora, just do not forget to invite us fans for Classical Music party...
  8. Alan Morse
    November 20, 2007 at 5:23pm
    Not to be a snob, but if you are going to start playing classical music, you have to at least offer the choice of defining the full piece of music as the "song," not just one movement. It is annoying to say the least to hear just a fragment of a piece you've come to appreciate in its whole and then move on. Please give us credit for a longer attention span.
  9. Will
    November 21, 2007 at 7:49am
    Paul, while I wouldn't object to having that option, (and it sounds like some of the record companies sadly would) I think that would defeat the purpose of Pandora, which is to be a music discovery radio station. Listening to the full duration of a symphony or similar is a big commitment of time. Assuming that you'll only spend in excess of an hour listening to something if you like it, there are two possible descriptions of your position: - You've heard it before and you want to listen to it - You haven't heard it before and you like what you hear If you are in boat number one, then you want something Pandora isn't for, and should really just own it. If not, then Pandora is still ideal for you, because as soon as you find something new that you like, and decide you want to hear the full work, you can download it from a digital store with the first movement ready to listen to in about a minute. If it takes a minute of listening to decide to get it, it's really not that big an investment of time on the scale of the hour(s) you're about to spend listening to the work.
  10. Katie K
    November 21, 2007 at 11:20am
    Just THANK YOU - how beautifully excellent to have the option of classical music via Pandora. You are an amazing service & I appreciate you very much! Katie in Colorado