Sound the trumpets! Pandora and the Music Genome Project now officially include a great collection of classical recordings from across all of the major periods of classical music… and we are furiously adding more. For all those of you who typed ‘Mozart’, we can now promise you a musical reply 🙂
On Tuesday night we held a launch party for Classical music at the Regency Center in San Francisco. What a special evening it was, including, for lack of a more descriptive term, a three-dimensional Pandora performance, video to follow soon. About 300 people came for a night of ‘live Pandora’ in the capable hands of our chief musicologist Nolan Gasser,the 36-piece Jubilate Orchestra from our hometown of Oakland, and former lead trumpeter for the Canadian brass, Jens Lindemann. And suitably sponsored by our great partner Bose.
ClassicalLaunch1.jpg
What a great evening. Great food, conversation, and music. We hope this will be the beginning of a long and rich relationship with classical music and the world that surrounds it. Rather than try to describe the event, I’ll let the video do the talking. In the meantime, feast yourselves on Pandora’s new, 20,000 recording-strong and fast growing collection of classical tunes.
Enjoy!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Brian
    November 18, 2007 at 3:13pm
    Thanks so much for the classical music genome. I am a teacher and have been refering Jazz Students to Pandora since I found out about it a year and a half ago. I can noe refer all of my classical students. I just wish you would be able to list the players we are listening to. i.e. who is on drumset, who is playing bass, piano, or lead trumpet etc.
  2. Ixty
    November 18, 2007 at 5:19pm
    That's great! I never understood why I couldn't find classical on Pandora. Thanks so much for rounding out my musical experience. -Ixty
  3. Aaron Klenke
    November 18, 2007 at 9:25pm
    Thank you Tim. Thank you so very much. You've improved my life even more. I only hope that by spreading the word I can repay your kindness and hard work.
  4. Scott Bringe
    November 19, 2007 at 7:38am
    I think that what you're doing is great, it's about time people started figuring out what to do with the internet. As a computer programmer I have to appreciate the fact that you guys are building an incredibly useful and valuable database, it will be interesting to see what uses you can find for this information in the future. I'm a new user (2 days now) but I am glad to hear that you have symphonic music, I use the term symphonic as I realize that the term 'classical music' refers to music composed during the 75 year period from about 1750 to 1825. It's also good to know that you have such a wealthy partner in the Bose corporation it's just too bad they can't make a decent sounding speaker system and it's sad that they have fooled so many people into thinking they're great, they're good at marketing not audio. I'm sorry for sounding like a pompous beep but it upsets me that so many people have to live with horrible fidelity because they are led like cattle to the slaughter and are rarely given the chance to hear the difference between a really good system and a mediocre one. Enough already, keep up the good work and one day computers will be able to create music for individuals based on their previous preferences and current mood or maybe some kind of biofeedback mechanism that allows the computer to judge how much you like what you're hearing and adjust accordingly.
  5. Will
    November 19, 2007 at 8:17am
    At last! Brilliant news! But! I'm curious that when I created one of my first classical stations, from Franz Liszt's Liebestraume no. 3, when it went to the next song it told me it would be playing me songs by a "well-known composer" as one of the criteria. Sure enough, the list so far is Beethoven, Liszt, Schumann and Brahms. Now while I've enjoyed all the selections, "classical" [sic] is the area I know the least about, and was rather hoping I might get to discover a wider range of composers thanks to this addition to the Music Genome. It seems that with this factor as a "musical attribute", Pandora is deliberately avoiding such tracks which is a little against one of the main points of the service. So have I missed some option to turn off this tendency? If not, this was my user feedback and you know what to do with it!
  6. Bernie
    November 19, 2007 at 12:06pm
    Thank you. I really love your service, and now I love it even more. I can't believe you kicked off this genre with a whopping 18 sub-genres. What a great start! I'd love to see another sub-genre, light classical, or "pops". Selections in this category appear to be kind of thin right now. I'm particularly partial to the music of the Strauss family, Offenbach, etc. I hope you'll be able to add them soon. Once again, thank you.
  7. Mister Basmt
    November 19, 2007 at 2:54pm
    I understand you may not be able to get the release for his music but I'd really love to see some John Williams
  8. Alyssa Grisham
    November 19, 2007 at 3:13pm
    Wonderful! I'm happy to see Pandora grow and grow to satisfy all musical ears! May I suggest a Contemporary Christian music channel? It would be another well-appreciated genre that I'm sure would find great use. Give it some thought, yea?
  9. Anthony
    November 19, 2007 at 8:24pm
    Thanks Pandora! I wouldn't say I'm much of a classical fan. I don't really know enough about it. But ever since I first heard about Pandora having classical one day, I've been waiting for this moment. I think Pandora is the perfect way for me to start to explore classical in more detail.
  10. Diana
    November 20, 2007 at 5:59am
    Oh happy day! :) Your email with starter stations listed classical, romantic and baroque. How are your current holdings of renaissance and medieval? Can you recommend a name or two to seed out from into those territories? I started with John Dowland but it's going baroque; other names I've tried aren't found yet. Thanks so much!