Sound the trumpets! Pandora and the Music Genome Project now officially include a great collection of classical recordings from across all of the major periods of classical music… and we are furiously adding more. For all those of you who typed ‘Mozart’, we can now promise you a musical reply 🙂
On Tuesday night we held a launch party for Classical music at the Regency Center in San Francisco. What a special evening it was, including, for lack of a more descriptive term, a three-dimensional Pandora performance, video to follow soon. About 300 people came for a night of ‘live Pandora’ in the capable hands of our chief musicologist Nolan Gasser,the 36-piece Jubilate Orchestra from our hometown of Oakland, and former lead trumpeter for the Canadian brass, Jens Lindemann. And suitably sponsored by our great partner Bose.
ClassicalLaunch1.jpg
What a great evening. Great food, conversation, and music. We hope this will be the beginning of a long and rich relationship with classical music and the world that surrounds it. Rather than try to describe the event, I’ll let the video do the talking. In the meantime, feast yourselves on Pandora’s new, 20,000 recording-strong and fast growing collection of classical tunes.
Enjoy!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Irene
    November 16, 2007 at 4:45am
    All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you for such a wonderful contribution to music lovers all over the world!!! I have Pandora on 24/7 at home and at work. Once again, THANK YOU!!! Irene
  2. Larry Beck
    November 16, 2007 at 8:00am
    YES! I'm listening to my Chopin mix as I type!! Now why I, as a trumpet player, chose Chopin first, is beyond me. Oh, that's right it's early in the a.m. and I didn't want something loud and boisterous. Thank you!!!
  3. Joshua
    November 16, 2007 at 10:47am
    Well well well. Interesting development, isn't it. I tested it out. It's actually not so bad. Dvorak --> Sibelius and Tchaikovsky. Makes perfect sense. Walton --> Shostakovich and W. Schumann. Ok, a bit odd but still makes some sense. But out of these six composers, five of them was a symphony movement. That seems a bit odd. Villa-Lobos --> Prokofiev. Ok, makes sense too. And that time it went from Bach Brasil #4 (not #5!), and went to Romeo and Juliet, a ballet. Good. I kinda wonder, is there only one recording of any given piece in here? WOuld make some sense as this is about the music and not performance, but it might also give too much weight on those specific ones. Is there a reason for chooseing certain ones? Obviously label matters. I also searched for Alfven, Godowsky, Glinka, and Roussel. No dice. Granted, this is just the beginning, and I can see them thinking more towards the 'big' names, but especially with Naxos's catalog there, I would hope that lesser composers are added for the exact reason that this site is so fantastic in the first place... -Joshua
  4. Eman
    November 16, 2007 at 11:50am
    This is best news I've heard today. Thanks, Pandora!
  5. Jeffrey R Glenn
    November 16, 2007 at 1:43pm
    Woo! Finallly!
  6. George Dumas
    November 16, 2007 at 8:34pm
    Yesssss!!!!!!! Thank you -- now I can listen to Pandora 24/7! Used to look for other sources in the mornings for classical.
  7. Roland
    November 17, 2007 at 3:15pm
    YES, YES! ITS ABOUT TIME YIP YEE
  8. regina
    November 17, 2007 at 10:17pm
    Great news. I can't wait to start using it. Thanks you so much.
  9. Shahab
    November 18, 2007 at 10:57am
    THANK you so much!... ( I'm listening To Amadeus's works right now :D) all the other things expected is to have a Pandora Player for Mobiles... that would be awesome...not?
  10. Kayleigh
    November 18, 2007 at 2:12pm
    That's great! Now, how about a more extensive Ska and Oi! collection? Also, have you considered making a pandora gadget for the Window's Vista desktop? That would rock!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )