Do you recognize this behavior?
I happened to discover this song last week on Pandora: Say What You Mean by Maktub.
It was one of those times where you’re trying to Get Things Done, but this amazing song comes on…you have to find out what that song is, right? And once you see the album cover, then you have to click through to the artist bio, right? Because who is singing this fabulous song?! And then you want to read the notes about the album too. And maybe listen to a few of the clips of the rest of the songs on the album? And then maybe you create a couple of stations initiated from different songs on the same album, just to see how different the stations might turn out? (or is this just me?)
Then you see that the song you’re loving musically matches a Prince song; that’s interesting! I grew up in Prince Country, so I have to listen to the clip of that song too, don’t I? And then wait: it’s Prince singing (what if god was) One of Us. I remember Joan Osborne singing that. Huh, I wonder who wrote it? (sound of nerdy researching…answer: Eric Bazilian)
Pretty soon you’ve “wasted” a chunk of “precious” time just enjoying this music and the Backstage information surrounding it.
Ah, but it sure beats the alternative, doesn’t it? There’s nothing wrong with having a happily stuffed Pandora profile!
cheers, Lucia
Maktub Radio

Comments

1. seana
    September 04, 2006 at 9:48am
    Hi Cindy, Recently, we added a feature that does exactly what you're suggesting. If, while you're listening to a song, you click the title or the artist name, you'll be taken to our new backstage area, which has information provided by AMG. Here's a sample link to a page: http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/0efe400e2bf1b490 Enjoy, and thanks for listening. Seana Dir. of Product Management, Pandora.
  2. Seal
    September 05, 2006 at 6:51pm
    Hey Lucia -- Eric Bazilian, who wrote "One of Us"? He was in a Philadelphia-based band in the '80s called the Hooters. They had a few hits, and their MTV appearances were notable for their use of the melodica, a keyed-reed instrument used in reggae and also called... you guessed it... a hooter. Ding ding ding. Anyhow, the Hooters are on Pandora. Of course.
  3. Gregg
    September 06, 2006 at 5:41pm
    1) As a new user, I think that when you are creating a personal station it might be more user friendly to be able to enter several artists or songs in one shot, instead of one at a time. 2) You guys need to research Carl Kress and George Barnes. Both were awesome guitarists! 3) It would be nice to be able to include classical music. I searched for Stravinsky, Beethoven, and Webern and came up with nothing. Pandora is my radio at work. Love it!
  4. Todd
    September 07, 2006 at 12:48am
    I keep trying to build a Christian Rock station with the likes of 12 Stones, Toby Mac, Kutless etc but all I get is the music sound style. The software doesn't distinguish between Kid Rock and 12 Stones...two completely different messages! Help! Now my station I'm trying to build beginning with 12 Stones is playing Nirvana. It doesn't get it! I might just give up and go back to Yahoo music where that genre is recognized.
  5. Adam
    September 08, 2006 at 10:52am
    Todd...surely the idea of pandora is the sound of the music, not its 'genre'?
  6. Toxie Thomas
    September 09, 2006 at 8:30am
    Love it!! Right to the point. Would love to be able to save a list of songs then write them all on a CD. It would be worth a premium cost. GOOD JOB. Tox
  7. Dragonfly425
    September 12, 2006 at 4:15pm
    Pandora is AWESOME! I never listen to anything else! You're the best! Thank you! Love, :Dragonfly425
  8. paula
    September 12, 2006 at 5:06pm
    in love with pandora
  9. Danny
    September 13, 2006 at 8:55am
    I have asked to have an artist named "Sy Zentner" added to one of my stations, but it keeps coming back saying you don't know the artist, but will check into it. Well, I have done that several times with the same reply. Sy Zentner was a very famous band leader, whom, by the way, I have 3 albums from. Does folks at Pandora actually check out the artists that we request? By the way, I love Pandora, don't get me wrong. I just would like Sy Zentner put into the mix with the BIG BAND sounds I love so much. Telling everyone I know about Pandora is.... Danny in Atlanta
  10. Karlikurod1
    September 13, 2006 at 1:21pm
    Karlikurod4

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )