Do you recognize this behavior?
I happened to discover this song last week on Pandora: Say What You Mean by Maktub.
It was one of those times where you’re trying to Get Things Done, but this amazing song comes on…you have to find out what that song is, right? And once you see the album cover, then you have to click through to the artist bio, right? Because who is singing this fabulous song?! And then you want to read the notes about the album too. And maybe listen to a few of the clips of the rest of the songs on the album? And then maybe you create a couple of stations initiated from different songs on the same album, just to see how different the stations might turn out? (or is this just me?)
Then you see that the song you’re loving musically matches a Prince song; that’s interesting! I grew up in Prince Country, so I have to listen to the clip of that song too, don’t I? And then wait: it’s Prince singing (what if god was) One of Us. I remember Joan Osborne singing that. Huh, I wonder who wrote it? (sound of nerdy researching…answer: Eric Bazilian)
Pretty soon you’ve “wasted” a chunk of “precious” time just enjoying this music and the Backstage information surrounding it.
Ah, but it sure beats the alternative, doesn’t it? There’s nothing wrong with having a happily stuffed Pandora profile!
cheers, Lucia
Maktub Radio

Comments

1. Stephen
    August 21, 2006 at 8:11pm
    This is exactly what happens to me and this has become my "precious" time, listening to Pandora and then following the trail. We have also started a communal thing at work sort of an offshoot (and now a replacement of Pandora (since the anti-freedom gods blocked everything of any interest on our web access last week) where someone plays something through their PC and then someone walks by and comes up with a band that sounds like that band. It is pretty cool because this really has begun to bridge the generations because it is not about the hot new band or singer but about how the music can be similar yet new and different and special at the same time.
  2. jay
    August 22, 2006 at 4:37pm
    Don't forget checking tour dates for Marked artists and gasping "So THAT'S what happened to so and so," or "I THOUGHT that sounded familiar," and trying to track down the other members of a defunct band. Backstage gets my vote for the biggest and best black holes ever. And it's helping me regain my title of Grand High Music Nerd (Mid-Atlantic Region). Oh yes, it also leads to recommending songs and artists that are not in the iTunes library so one may purchase for that hypothetical moment when one has time to listen to something besides Pandora. (After we switch to a 30-hour day maybe?) Off topic: I notice that Favourites now overwrites if one marks the same song twice. This means I don't have to waste time cleaning my list because I forgot I already have a song in there. Will the brilliance never end? I doubt it. jk
  3. Helena
    August 25, 2006 at 11:37am
    I'm from Brazil and i'm writing here because I'm a little desapointed with Pandora's songs... From Brazil I just finded MPB songs, but there are a lot of bands, good bands that plays rock, rap, etc... it seams that here in Brazil we play just MPB.
  4. Lucia @ Pandora
    August 28, 2006 at 11:39am
    Hi Helena - Feel free to suggest Brazilian artists you'd like us to check out at suggest-music@pandora.com.
  5. Paul
    August 29, 2006 at 10:15am
    I definitely fit the profile you describe there. Spot on! It would be great to see more meta-information on the backstage pages. Better yet would be if we could customize the info we cared about in our user settings, and if some of it automatically showed up below the Pandora player while the song was playing. I don't know if the respective business models would facilitate this, but I would turn from a Pandora user into a bona-fide cult member if you guys could somehow partner with MP3Tunes & get some of their indie artists into the mix. I won't purchase music on RIAA labels because of ethical opposition to their practices. If I could set up a little, clickable "RIAA-free" asterisk that showed up on such songs in the Pandora interface, I'd be much more likely to start buying tracks and CDs. The way things are now, the research involved in checking the RIAA-safety of an artist/album/track makes it too inconvenient to do except on the most mezmerizing of songs.
  6. Biguane
    August 30, 2006 at 10:20am
    Lucia, thanks for being like that. And big thanks for letting me know that there are other people that "invest" (not "waste") precious (indeed) time in their well being. I tried to live sometime without doing it and I was getting crazy! And what about trying to explore the references you get from bands or songs names? THey made pay a special attentin to Bauhaus movement, writer Antonin Artaud or Bloody Sunday, just to name a few. Try it!
  7. Lucia @ Pandora
    August 31, 2006 at 11:56am
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Paul: We are working on ways to give listeners more control over their playlists, and thanks for the RIAA comment. Feel free to suggest those indie artists you speak of at suggest-music@pandora.com. We like the indie artists. :)
  8. Cindy
    August 31, 2006 at 6:49pm
    Hey, come to Webster Groves MO.. a "burb" of St. Louis... and St. Louis for that matter. Soulard and the Landing downtown are the place for new bands and wonderful songs. Webster Groves is home to one of the most "archaic/eclectic" record stores I've ever met.. Webster Records.. You might find something there to air. clc
  9. Alex
    September 04, 2006 at 12:15am
    This is true. And because of it I'd be happy to have a corresponding link from every song to AMG Allmusic (http://allmusic.com/) information page. If only you could make it possible... Also it would be nice to have the year of album release in Pandora player besides the album name. Thanks in advance and thank you for this radio.
  10. Andy Meynadasy
    September 04, 2006 at 9:22am
    A great idea, very well done!!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )