We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. Rob Sanders
    November 26, 2007 at 8:19am
    Typo needs corrected... On the Album: Basie is Back, you have the track April In Paris listed as "April Iin Paris" Sorry I did not find a more appropriate area to post this comment. Is there a "General Suggestions" area, or a "Problems" area? LOVE Pandora - I tell everyone about it, and have converted quite a few listeners to date!
  2. PTMullen
    November 30, 2007 at 4:34pm
    Love Pandora! I find myself on your site any moment I get a chance. Great way to explore new genres and artists. I was just wondering whether you had a way to listen to a flowing mix. I am a DJ and would love to hear some mixes.
  3. Eric
    November 30, 2007 at 6:00pm
    I *thought* I would love Pandora. I put in all Trip-Hop artists (Tricky, DJ Shadow, Portishead, Lamb, Hooverphonic) and then it decided that Belinda Carlisle fit that crowd. Thanks for playing, Pandora!
  4. JanetJ
    December 01, 2007 at 3:05pm
    I also could not find a "suggestion" area to post this. Hope it will be read here. I would like to suggest a genre of classical hymns, especially like the London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra in "Hymns Triumphant" by B.R. Hearn. I was just introduced to your site yesterday and I already love it!!
  5. Sam
    December 01, 2007 at 11:42pm
    You guys are really doing great work, and the changes are nice. I listen to pandora for hours every day while I do my homework. The only problem I have had is that the "I'm tired of this song" is not working, as the song will play within a few hours again. This has happened several times, so it wasn't just a freak thing. Other than that, great site!
  6. fbenjul
    December 02, 2007 at 12:16pm
    Hello, everybody: Two questions, please. 1. What recommendation have you for a French, Paris, radio station that plays pop and classical but no rock. 2. What is a good download service for French pop songs? Rhapsody doesn't have much. Thank you. fbenjul Madison, WI, USA
  7. bivie
    December 06, 2007 at 1:27pm
    I heard that you can listen to "soothing sounds" radio on Pandora, but I can;t seem to find it. What am I doing wrong?
  8. Olly
    December 14, 2007 at 6:44am
    Hardcore isn't represented at all, but oddly, a number of weird sub-sub genres are. I think you should personally remove the metal influenced stations from Rock and create a new Metal one, with hardcore, metalcore, death metal, power metal etc.
  9. Henry
    December 16, 2007 at 8:24am
    Been a subscriber of Pandora for ages and love it. The new changes are great too - but I have one gripe. As the article says the listening experience is all - that's where everything starts and is key. Therefore why not more emphasis on adding new music to the library? I listen to Pandora a lot when I am in the mood. But I am hearing the same stuff I heard 6 months to a year ago. It would be so nice to hear new music on Pandora instead of the old stuff over and over (and it's not just my mix selection as I have several different genre mixes I listen to that I've created). Therefore before investing in new programming and social networking through music gizmo's I'd much prefer to see more emphasis on adding new music to the library.
  10. DR. E.F. Tymac
    December 26, 2007 at 8:28am
    *** PANDORA ANNOYANCES: *** 1. User cannot create or name a "station" unless it coincides with title of a song or the name of an artist. This is bad because the title of the song may be misleading or even totally inappropriate for a given user's intent. 2. User cannot see how many "thumbs up" a particular track has gotten from the entire Pandora community. 3. User cannot select a station that consists of specialized conditions. For example, the user would like to say "give me a station that consists of only the thumbs up tracks by cooldude123@foomail.com and groovychick@blah.net" ... or ... "give me a station constisting only of bumper music from cartoon network 'adult swim'" 4. User cannot specify *why* she liked a song. This represents one of the (few yet significant) flaws with the system, which is centered around the framework of the *music genome project* (MGP) and analyst review. Instead, it should be centered around the framework of *personal preference links* (PPL). The attributes flagged by the MGP are a good starting point, but Pandora will not meet its fullest potential unless users can specify (i) personalized attributes; (ii) community-discovered attributes; and (iii) mood-based attributes. Pandora, otherwise, is pretty good. We'll see if anyone takes these points into consideration.

Reply to JFF Cancel Reply