We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. alex
    November 12, 2007 at 7:08am
    I think we should be able to see ALL of the song traits in Backstage (have a button saying "see all traits" or whatnot). a lot of us want to see the gory details.
  2. Maddie
    November 12, 2007 at 8:44am
    Have you heard of the band 'Stop Motion Poetry'? you should listen to them on myspace.com/stopmotionpoetry My favorite sond by them so far is 'North'
  3. Mister Basmt
    November 13, 2007 at 8:51am
    another genre needs to be added to the stations now that it's on pandora: classical.
  4. ronnie
    November 13, 2007 at 2:26pm
    WOW i just found pandora, i like the old country music and the fact that. 1.its free , im cheap 2. its simple ,so am i 3. i get what i ask for , im picky im allmost afraid to tell my friends about it becuse if i do surley thay will screw it up..
  5. Jess
    November 14, 2007 at 8:51am
    My recommendation would also be to add more options to the "guide us" section- "sort of like it", or more importantly to me- "like it but not on this station".
  6. lynne
    November 15, 2007 at 5:36am
    I'm thrilled about the addition of genre stations, however, you don't have a Christian/gospel/etc. station. And you definately have the music b/c I've listed to it. W/ what 100 or so genre stations, it's kind of a shame that there isn't even on - again, particularly since you do have the music to populate it... Make ont. Please. Thanks.
  7. Margo Leslie
    November 15, 2007 at 6:00pm
    I think the classical music section is excellent so far. Thanks for adding it. You are doing a great job with Pandora.
  8. JFF
    November 21, 2007 at 11:14am
    This is great, I suppose. Yet if one pays the requested fee, as I did, to avoid the Pop-ups, how did you lose me? I can't login. You, like my teenage son, say I don't "exist". I've been a member for over a year! Is this the New Deal? All my stations are gone now? I even bought "your suggested" SLIMDEVICE for my music system at home, now, it gets nothing from you. Thank you. Silence is golden. That is not the golden rule I was expecting, however. Gimme the ol' times.
  9. Dave
    November 23, 2007 at 11:56am
    Love Pandora. It's brilliant... forget Sirius and XM. And, I would have no problem shelling out a reasonable fee for additional features if it keeps Pandora rolling... Only thing I have noticed, and maybe it's just me, but I have never heard a longer track on Pandora, say longer than 5 minutes or so. Ther are a lotof tunes that I would love to hear that are 7 - 20 minutes long, but so far, it hasn't happened. Is there a max total playtime of a track to make it on Pandora, under the terms of their agreements? Just curious.
  10. Sarah
    November 25, 2007 at 1:41pm
    Although you have great genres, where is the musical theater and broadway? i'd love to hear it on pandora!

Reply to fred Cancel Reply